AARN packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: AARN packs

Postby photohiker » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 9:34 am

It's not just the hipbelts that have been improved. I discovered this when I purchased a 2011 Peak Aspiration. My original Aarn was a ~2005 Natural Balance.

The flow straps or whatever they call them (the ones that allow your shoulders to move independently and slide in a channel under the bottom of the pack) are smooth as silk now.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Miyata610 » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the info guys, I'm hanging out for the new model Load Limo that should be in the shops very soon.

I have a size M hip belt, and I find that this works fine at the start of the season but by Feb it runs out of adjustment as my fitness improves (maybe just weight loss from exhaustion lol). I need a size S but for my old load limo there is no more stock in that size.
Phil
Miyata610
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 9:10 am

I wish they made the hipbelts in an XS. The small is just a little too big for me - barely any room for adjustment.

One more reason to use Aarn packs: on the (failed) attempt at Weld on Friday, I slipped while climbing over a fallen tree, and was nearly speared through the chest by the broken end of a branch. Instead of being hit directly, however, it hit the balance pocket on that side and jammed it in hard enough to nearly crack the ribs. Very stiff and sore still, but when I think how bad it would have been without the pocket in the way to take the brunt of it . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby sim1oz » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 5:12 pm

nnw, I've also got a S hipbelt on my Aarn pack and after a few days walking I tend to run out of space to adjust down so the hipbelt can slip a bit. Last time I jammed some unused clothing under it to bulk out my hipsize. Perhaps we can send a letter to Aarn NZ together with our request?

Glad to hear the Aarn pack protected you. Another positive feature to keep in mind when we are at the receiving end of snarky comments about THE LOOK. Hope you recover quickly!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 6:00 pm

sim1oz wrote:nnw, I've also got a S hipbelt on my Aarn pack and after a few days walking I tend to run out of space to adjust down so the hipbelt can slip a bit. Last time I jammed some unused clothing under it to bulk out my hipsize.

Yeah, I tend to use my towel for that. It helps.
Perhaps we can send a letter to Aarn NZ together with our request?

You'd think there'd be enough small women around for it to be a standard item, but even the S is hard to get.
Glad to hear the Aarn pack protected you. Another positive feature to keep in mind when we are at the receiving end of snarky comments about THE LOOK. Hope you recover quickly!

It only hurts when I move. Mostly.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gusto » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:06 pm

Both the Mountain Magic and the Marathon Magic packs mention that there is the option to remove the shoulder straps completely. Does anyone have experience with this feature?

http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!marathon-magics/cav0

http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!mountain-magic/cxh1
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby philm » Sun 26 Jan, 2014 3:12 pm

Just took my new Load Limo pack out to WOJ. As I was with my daughter I took most the weight. Started at about 24 kg and the pack was great. I loaded up the front pockets with fuel, water and food and this worked really well. After a good 6 hour walk in the day it did not feel like I was carrying the 25kg - so I am a convert.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Sun 26 Jan, 2014 3:22 pm

I've found that with my stove, food for the day, fuel, 2L water plus things needed throughout the day, my weight is perfectly balanced. As the trip wears on I bring subsequent days food forward from the main pack and this seems to work well for me.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 26 Jan, 2014 7:07 pm

I have mostly electronics in the front pockets - GPSl, PLB, camera/s, lenses, spare batteries etc. Plus maps & the first aid stuff. No need to move things back and forward to readjust the weight.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 9:12 pm

I took my Aarn natural balance pack to Patagonia, in Chile, but for some of the really steep snowy and muddy sections crossing and ascending a pass, and crossing canyons down icy wet ladders, I found the front packs to be a hindrance, visibility-wise. I had one fall crossing a river, and my balance was definitely affected. I needed to remove them and repack. I've not had this problem bushwalking with this pack in Aust, but would take a traditional pack if doing the full circuit in Torres del Paine again (with deep snow anyway)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 9:25 pm

Do you use trekking poles OSM?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 7:34 am

Onestepmore wrote:I took my Aarn natural balance pack to Patagonia, in Chile, but for some of the really steep snowy and muddy sections crossing and ascending a pass, and crossing canyons down icy wet ladders, I found the front packs to be a hindrance, visibility-wise. I had one fall crossing a river, and my balance was definitely affected. I needed to remove them and repack. I've not had this problem bushwalking with this pack in Aust, but would take a traditional pack if doing the full circuit in Torres del Paine again (with deep snow anyway)

That's no good!

There is a video on Aarn's site somewhere showing how to attach the front pockets to the sides of the pack when visibility or obstruction becomes an issue. I had one of the original NB packs but have never found the need to try relocating the pockets so cannot advise on the usability.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby radson » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 9:02 am

Onestepmore wrote:I took my Aarn natural balance pack to Patagonia, in Chile, but for some of the really steep snowy and muddy sections crossing and ascending a pass, and crossing canyons down icy wet ladders, I found the front packs to be a hindrance, visibility-wise. I had one fall crossing a river, and my balance was definitely affected. I needed to remove them and repack. I've not had this problem bushwalking with this pack in Aust, but would take a traditional pack if doing the full circuit in Torres del Paine again (with deep snow anyway)

Yeah I was trying to remember why I dont use Aarn packs any more and yeah this was one of the reasons. The aarn system is great for lets call them non-technical trails but cant get in the way when things get a bit more hairy. Especially if you need to see your feet or really need to keep your COG in one place. By this I mean i would prefer to have to contend with one thing on my body strapped to my back and not worry about the front as well. And then theres hauling or really quick escape form the pack etc..

Still, Im an Aarn agnostic, yes they are very comfortable and can be very functional but not for every situation.
radson
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NZAC - Australia. Mainpeak

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 12:12 pm

Strider, yes I do use poles. The northern section of the circuit track in Torres del Paine would be so much harder without. Very slippery mud, poorly maintained track (but we also had pretty bad luck with the weather). There were also two flooded streams in canyons we had to cross, with water almost waist high that would have been very hard to cross without poles, as the flow was very strong. One has a rope, the other does not. That section if the track was closed after we got over, as more snow was melting.
I was holding my pole incorrectly crossing this other smaller creek in question (not the flooded scary ones), when I fell in (waist deep - not fun when the water is coming off a glacier and the wind is blowing a gale). I had my hand through the strap, and the pole got wedged in between some rocks on the stream bed, so when I slipped on the exposed rocks I was trying to cross over on, I basically levered myself in. I was super careful to not use the straps on my poles again. Our guide said its a common cause of falls. I'd never really been taught how to ascend and descend in snow either.
I'll have to have a look about the advice regarding attaching the front packs more to the side, as this pack is by far my most comfortable, and I felt a bit let down by it in Chile!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby minijimaus » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 3:06 pm

I've used an Aarn Load limo for 5 years.
I like the light weight, built in pack liner and swiveling hip-belt/shoulder straps.
I don't like...
The string/tube system which connects both sides of the hip-belt is fiddly and catches on branches in close bush. I removed it when it broke.
The balance pockets are too small to take enough weight to change your balance. Using water makes no sense because you'll drink it!

Recently, the hip-belt tore away from the pack body when the connection broke during a fall - half-way through a 6 day walk.
I commend Aarn for their innovation but some systems are complexity for its own sake.
I like the pack but won't buy another.
Jim
minijimaus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 11:42 pm

What size are your balance pockets, Jim? And how much weight are you carrying in total?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 5:48 am

minijimaus wrote:I've used an Aarn Load limo for 5 years.
I like the light weight, built in pack liner and swiveling hip-belt/shoulder straps.
I don't like...
The string/tube system which connects both sides of the hip-belt is fiddly and catches on branches in close bush. I removed it when it broke.
The balance pockets are too small to take enough weight to change your balance. Using water makes no sense because you'll drink it!

Recently, the hip-belt tore away from the pack body when the connection broke during a fall - half-way through a 6 day walk.
I commend Aarn for their innovation but some systems are complexity for its own sake.

I've recently had a similar issue with mine. Managed to patch it together to finish an eight day walk ( it went on the first evening). They're brilliant packs, but they aren't designed for serious scrub-bashing, scrambling, pack-hauling and being badly mistreated.
Can't afford a new one so will have to see about getting it fixed. At least I have another pack I can use, even if it's nowhere near as comfortable.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 7:17 am

Just curious, but what part of the hip belt tore away? The velcro?
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:02 am

matagi wrote:Just curious, but what part of the hip belt tore away? The velcro?

The stitching at the back where the belt is attached to the rest of the harness. It's a relatively small section of stitching but it has to support the entire weight of the pack. Looking at it, it's not surprising that it's succumbed to the harsh treatment it's had.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby minijimaus » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:31 am

Strider wrote:What size are your balance pockets, Jim? And how much weight are you carrying in total?

Not sure of the size of the balance pockets but I believe they are the larger version. They were used on 5-8 day walks in Tassie, carrying 16-20kgs in total.

Jim
minijimaus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby minijimaus » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:36 am

matagi wrote:Just curious, but what part of the hip belt tore away? The velcro?

The hip belt is connected to the body of the pack by a piece of webbing. About a 2cm square section of this webbing is stitched to a plastic panel which is itself stitched to the pack body. The 2cm square of stitching failed when I fell sideways.

The local agent repaired it without problems but I am cautious about the durability of this system.

Jim
minijimaus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 5:48 pm

minijimaus wrote:
matagi wrote:The hip belt is connected to the body of the pack by a piece of webbing. About a 2cm square section of this webbing is stitched to a plastic panel which is itself stitched to the pack body. The 2cm square of stitching failed when I fell sideways.

You've explained it far better than I did. Mine took three odd years of repeated abuse to do the same thing, but when it went it was pretty sudden - no falls at the time, just the last bit of stitching letting loose while I was walking.
Have to see if I can find someone local to restitch it.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 7:17 pm

I am unfamiliar with the older Aarn packs, but this sounds different to my Guiding Light which has a velcro connection to the hipbelt. Are the newer Load Limo's now the same as this? If so, perhaps this design change has overcome this issue as it can disconnect if undue force is applied?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Miyata610 » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 7:37 pm

My LL is a 2010 I think, but I'm using the 2014 hip belt bits.

I'm just examining the attachment of hip belt to pack.... It's quite complicated, but as far as I can see the the load is taken through a doubled up piece of 25mm webbing. This webbing is stitched to the back of the pack and goes behind the plastic section on the back, only one row of stitching goes through both plastic and webbing, and this is just to locate the plastic section rather than take the load. This webbing goes all the way to the bottom of the pack and is also attached to the reinforced section that supports the two stays from the frame.

The webbing attaches to the hip belt on another plastic section that also has the Velcro section to hold the "arms" of the hip belt. This looks like it may be the weakest point, it's about a 50mm square of stitching. The sort of "torsion bar" tube and string thing attaches at this point too, through an extension of the webbing.

I'm pretty hard on my LL, I use it for paid work including hauling some larger than average loads. I use the Pro Photo pockets, because they're the biggest I could find. I put as much weight as I can in them, like casks of wine, cans of fuel, bags of fruit etc. I do get a good balance.

I haven't yet had a failure like those described, but I am on my third hip belt "arms". They are cheap to buy and it's been easier than fixing buckles etc. The 2014 model is far better. I can now get it tight, but when carrying 30-40kg it still slips too much for my liking and needs constant re-tightening.

The pack is constructed well, the sides are a heavy canvas type stuff and the pack bottom is reinforced. I've had no problems in that area.

The balance pockets are not compulsory. The pack has enough great features to justify it's use even if you don't want the balance pockets. They cost more anyway. If I'm going somewhere a little bit more challenging then the pockets stay home. Big deal. I do agree that they make the pack an ugly bundle when it's hanging on the end of a rope. I haven't found thick scrub to be a problem, but my discomfort with ledges and heights means the pockets won't come on an upcoming trip that is famous for such features.

Finally that string and tube system has failed a couple of times for me, but I've had it repaired each time because I feel it does make the pack more comfortable. It's easy to jury rig on the track.
Phil
Miyata610

Postby Miyata610 » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 8:03 pm

minijimaus wrote:I've used an Aarn Load limo for 5 years.
I don't like...

I like the pack but won't buy another.
Jim

I see the problem.... You discarded the string and tube system which helps locate the pack. Without it the pack can move putting extra load on the webbing. Simple fatigue issue. The pack would only be hanging off the hip belt by a single point, the 25mm webbing. It would swing, eventually destroying the stitching. Those strings need to be tight to stop that movement.
Phil
Miyata610

Postby Strider » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 8:32 pm

I recently crossed paths with a woman who was wearing a Load Limo. She said her biggest complaint was the shoulder straps digging in, and was amazed to see mine were bearing no weight whatsoever. Aarn packs are really about the adjustment - every one of the (seemingly complicated) features is there for a reason.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 7:12 am

Miyata610 wrote:I haven't yet had a failure like those described, but I am on my third hip belt "arms". They are cheap to buy and it's been easier than fixing buckles etc.

You mean the bits of the belt that wrap around your hips? I didn't realise they were replaceable that easily. I'll have to get on to Tim.
The pack is constructed well, the sides are a heavy canvas type stuff and the pack bottom is reinforced. I've had no problems in that area.

A little rubbing from being dragged across rocks and through scrub but yes, otherwise it's stood up well.
I haven't found thick scrub to be a problem, but my discomfort with ledges and heights means the pockets won't come on an upcoming trip that is famous for such features.

The pockets tend to catch a bit more in scrub, and that string/loop set-up also - which makes it wear out quicker. But it's a minor issue.
The second long walk my LL did was the WArthurs. The pack will be back, but not with the pockets - have to find another way to carry the camera.

Finally that string and tube system has failed a couple of times for me, but I've had it repaired each time because I feel it does make the pack more comfortable. It's easy to jury rig on the track.

Did you send it to Tim or Remote, or is there somewhere here in Tassie that will fix it? (Ditto with the restitching.) I'd rather not have to send it back to the mainland, but I need to be able to trust whoever I give it to.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Miyata610 » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 11:40 am

Tim fixed it for me, no charge. I visit melbourne regularly so not an issue for me.
Phil
Miyata610

Postby Strider » Sun 09 Feb, 2014 11:20 pm

So, who's going to be the first here to fork out for an Aarn pack in cuben?

http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/index ... acks/c21wd
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:04 am

As soon as I rob a bank . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii