AARN packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

AARN packs

Postby hightower » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has an AARN pack or heard from friends with one. They have my interest but just curious that they have been around for so long but little info on the net compared to say Macpac. (I'm compaing Load Limo, Natural Balance, Effortless Rhythm)

Cheers
hightower
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: AARN packs

Postby under10kg » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 3:18 pm

Yes I own an aarn pack and have used them for walking in australia and NZ.
I have a natural balance modal and have tried some of the other models in NZ.

The balance pockets are a great design feature as they balance the load on your back.
These hang on the front of your body and they transfer the weight to the front of the hip belt.
You can see them on the front of the body in the photo above.
I place a fair bit of weight to these balance pockets, usually food plus water bottles.
So you walk upright compared to a normal pack where you lean forward a little.
This makes the pack a lot more comfortable for long walks as you walk much more naturally with less strain.
You really need to try an aarn pack to feel the difference.
However, once you feel the difference you will probably not want to go back to a normal pack.
If you have some back issues you might try an aarn pack to see if they help.
The front balance pockets also allow you to access food and a water bottle while walking.
You do get some strange looks when wearing the aarn packs due to the front balance pockets.
Also the shoulder straps have a unique swivel system that allows you to raise your arm and the other shoulder drops down.
This makes the pack much easier to use climbing and ski touring as it allows freedom of shoulder movements.
Another thing is the pack has a full waterproof liner as well as a separate liner for the sleeping bag.
Overall, in my experience they are the most comfortable pack I have ever used. ( I am being totally honest about this even though Aarn is my brother so I could be accused of bias)
I would be interested in others opinions and I know a few in the melbourne bushwalkers that have switched to aarn packs lately. Quite a few of the members in walking clubs in NZ use aarn packs for increased comfort while walking.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tim » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 5:00 pm

Hey all.

I haven't used one of these packs myself, but I did a trip with a bloke who was using one, and having read about them previously on these forums I was very interested in their performance.

From what he said, the pack's design is very clever, although he found his uncomfortable because his pack didn't fit him correctly. The packs come in sizes, he seemed to be right on the boundary between the two sizes and so bought the big one. Trouble was then that the pulley/swivel set up that allow the pack to move with you had no-where to go; it didn't work. Lesson is: try before you buy.

Otherwise, the pack, from what I saw, seemed well made. Can't pass any more judgement than that.

Cheers
tim
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 1:47 pm

Good write up Under10kg,

I have looked at the AARN pack system before and have wondered what it would be like on hot days with no ventilation on the front.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby under10kg » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 7:24 am

I have not had an issue of overheating with aarn packs but I have not walked with an aarn pack when it is very hot. The front pockets have their own suspension system that gives a bit of a air gap.One can remove the front pockets if this was an issue during the walk. Also you can use the front pockets as a day pack too.

I tend to carry an umbrella if it is hot and if the walk has no scrub and this reduces the overheating issue a lot, as well as removing the need for a sun hat. Not many walkers I know have tried walking with an umbrella. On a desert walk I would use some light rescue space blanket and cut it to fit the top of the umbrella and hold it on with small rubber bands.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aarndesign » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 11:53 am

Hi all,
If you have specific questions on Aarn packs you can email me at aarndesign@paradise.net.nz

cheers,
Aarn

[post edited by admin]
aarndesign
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm

aarndesign wrote:Hi all,
If you have specific questions on Aarn packs you can email me at aarndesign@paradise.net.nz

cheers,
Aarn

Welcome Aarn - it's good to have on on the forums. I hope you can provide answers directly here as well as by email. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 12:55 pm

They Look like an ultralight answer to Overloading :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 8:11 pm

I was wondering about the front pockets when sliding around cliff faces etc, ie on the Western Arthurs there is a few spots where I amt rying to get very initmate with the rock face. Would you body be pushed away from the rock?

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby aarndesign » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 7:55 am

Regarding overheating with Aarn packs.

They have been used in 52 degree heat in Africa. The Balance Pockets do not contribute to overheating because they don"t touch your body. They connect to the shoulder straps and hipbelt only. They have a simple vertical frame which can be bent to match your contours and increase the airgap. The Backpanel of the pack uses a highly breathable thick air mesh, composed of thousands of little nylon springs. This is the most breathable supporting material available. Likewise our shoulder straps and hipbelt ends are composed of a denser version of this mesh, so breath fully. This is a most expensive fabric, chosen for its superior ventilation, cushioning and stretch characteristics, and as far as I know, has not been used by other pack manufacturers.

Regarding fitting,
Everybody has a different size and shape, and unless all the parts of the pack which touch your body are a mirror image of your dimensions, pressure points will be created leading to discomfort and fatigue. The only way to achieve this is to make all contact parts of the pack ( backpanel, hipbelt and shoulder straps) custom mouldable or auto moulding to your shape, and length adjustable. We design this unique level of customisation into our products and provide instructions how to fit.

Regarding Rogers question about moves where your chest needs to be close to the face.
If its a short move, unclip the Balance Pockets at the top, Clip the sternum strap together, and make the moves with the Balance Pockets swung to the sides. For technical climbing, the Balance Pockets are not recommended. They can be used for the approach, but left at the bottom or packed in your pack for the climb.

Aarn
aarndesign
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby hightower » Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty sure I will get one, just need to decide the model. Probably take a bit of gear to a shop and load it up and walk around for an hour or something to try them out.

Aarn - does the Natural Balance allow expedition pockets or are they too big and there for too heavy when packed? Just wondering whether I will go the 12L or 18L pockets which could determine which pack.
hightower
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby aarndesign » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 5:17 am

Natural Balance comes with Sport Balance Pockets as standard equipment. Expedition Balance Pockets will fit, will take the load, but are not a colour match, and would be an extra cost.

regards,

Aarn
aarndesign
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MountainMule » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi Aarn, You can probably tell from my moniker that I am a Kiwi of a 'certain vintage' :wink: with long memories of tramps in both islands back in the days when Mountain Mules were cutting edge. Shows how far we've come, huh?
My question: Given a typical retail fitting environment, can you advise on key points when choosing? I will be visiting your Sydney distributor soon for a pack. I am looking for probably your Freedom model in preparation for going lightweight and tramping the John Muir Track in California. Cheers!
MountainMule
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby strewthm8 » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 3:57 pm

Bought a 'Natural Exhilaration' pack this week...needed a new day pack and 1-2 nighter. This is 33l and takes the front pockets (7l total) and I reckon I could get all my stuff in for a good 3-4 days...in good weather ie less wet weather gear, single skin tent (six moons), summerlite bag etc . Can't wait to give it a workout. Very well made and well thought out. The mesh back and foam pad are a good combo. Looked at a wide range of options- macpa, osprey, deuter...all the usual suspects, but this one ticked all the boxes for me.

cheers...david
strewthm8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:47 pm

Thought this was the best place to post some Youtube links that describe Aarn pack features.

This is a (non commercial) yankee vid of the the "Peak Aspiration" model. it's about 45L plus balance pockets in the large size.

Aarn Bodypack Video 1

Aarn Bodypack Video 2

These videos seem to give the best idea I've yet seen of what the packs are all about.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 2:42 pm

I have backpacked around a bit, and from time to time attached the daypack onto the soulder straps (for security reasons)...from these experiences (and these only) I am curious how people find walking off road (especially on rugged or down steep terrain) with a load in front? Is the view of your feet is impaired?
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.

Postby alliecat » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 2:48 pm

I've had a camera bag attached to the chest strap and it did obstruct my vision sometimes. I found myself twisting my neck to try and peer past it when the footing was tricky. I've also had two water bottles mounted one on each shoulder strap. That was much better as i could see straight down between them, but there was still the occasional time when they blocked my vision a bit. The front bits on the AARN packs are in line with the shoulder straps so they should be much better than a centrally-mounted bag, but I suspect they would probably still cause the occasional blind spot. I haven't tried one on though so I'm really just guessing.

cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 3:00 pm

They do restrict some of your vision, but nothing like a small pack attached to your shoulder straps does. Takes a bit of getting used to though. The Aarn pockets' weight is supported by the hipbelt, not the shoulder straps.

One trip I did, I decided to leave the front pockets behind, and attached a Lowepro Minitrecker AW to the shoulder straps of my Aarn pack. The loss of vision around my boots was noticable, and the weight on my shoulders was a lot worse than other multiday walks with the standard pockets. Getting some mods done to some 'dri' front pouches to take camera gear for next time.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 3:34 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 4:46 pm

Brett wrote: until I see an Aarn in the wild I would be wary handing out the readies. In other words might buy in a shop but not on the internet sight unseen.

I think the pack in the video is $299 plus pockets. I'd be surprised if anyone bought one sight unseen unless they were already familiar with the aarn packs.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 5:54 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:54 pm

Interesting timing for reopening this thread, I've just taken the plunge and bought a pack. It is an Aarn Natural Balance pack and I had the opportunity to well and truly try it on and have it fitted in Melbourne today. I'm a bit nervous about it as it's a bit different, but it's comfortable and I really like the balance with the front pockets on. Time will tell whether I have made the right choice.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 7:55 am

Annie,

I've had mine for a few years, (a natural balance too) and when I first got it I had the same sort of apprehension. It is a bit different, and it does attract attention. I find people on the trail show genuine interest in the pack, and I've never had a negative comment about it. It's also very comfortable and really takes the weight off your shoulders and the strain off your back which is what interested me to start with.

I was looking at the 2009 model setup yesterday, and it's good to see they have replaced the X-Flow strap with a more simple sternum strap - those xflow straps are fiddly! Since I've upgraded the pockets to dri pockets I've now got both. Not sure if I should now cut the X-Flow straps off, we'll see how they go if they get in the way, snip!

Having seen the Peak Aspiration in the vids and liking it, I'm wondering if I could fit all my gear into it - it would be 45L + 18L with the Dri pockets. 63L. Pity there is not a local distributor here either.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 9:31 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:19 am

Brett, the pack I have is very "strappy", probably too much so, but the other style is a more traditional one with less straps if you prefer to go that way. My pack also doesn't have a hood which will be different. I think that once the straps have been adjusted they just stay that way and they are no problem. I'm hoping the comfort outweighs any problems :? ! Looking forward to trying it out, now all I need is a sleeping bag, so must get moving on that.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ent » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:35 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 11:08 am

Straps always seem to be cut to accommodate the 'most' anyone could possibly think of fitting in. On my own packs I always remove the excess once iv'e worked out where things are going to go. Perhaps this helps.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby under10kg » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:02 am

Yes you get used to people looking at you with an aarn pack on with the front load pockets.
However, that is not as much funny looks as I get when I walk with an umbrella up here.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crockle » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi - I have had an Aarn pack for about 4 years now - very happy with it. The model I have is called 'Featherlite Freedom' (55 Litre plus another 10 litres in the front pockets. This capacity suits me for almost anything, trip-wise.
I *nearly* fit everything in for a 10 day trip through The Reserve (CM-LSC NP) last year, but couldn't *quite* manage it. Took a larger Osprey instead - and felt the pain from that..... :(
First time I tried one on (aarn pack), it was a hot day in the non-airconditioned outdoors shop. As the sales guy strapped me in to the pack, (buckles, strapping, adjusters) I rebelled - "nuh, no way, too fiddly, too sweaty, don't think so !" - and left without purchasing.
A crook back one spring led me back to retry the pack - this time with a proper fitting in better conditions, and a bit more of understanding of what was going on, design & function-wise. A bit of further tuning out in the field and - Ha !! load-carrying nirvana was achieved !
The key to the thing to me, is the forward/backward distribution of weight - you really want to get the closest you can to "balance" between front & back. You will probably never get it really balanced (or even that close!) , but the closer you get, the more comfort you get as your back & neck muscles have less work to do, and your posture becomes more upright.
If you stop and think about distributing weight over your shoulders, the front/rear thing makes sense in terms of load carrying.

It IS more 'fiddly' to take on and off than a Macpac or a One Planet or whatever (at least on my old model - I would think on all models). So I guess that's either going to drive you mental, or you get used to it...
The front pockets - which everyone thinks will be "the worst feature" - are surprisingly easy to get used to - in my experience anyway.
I (for one) would be really interested, Devon Annie, on how the pack goes for you .
No barrow to push - just interested.

Cheers all
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 7:34 pm

Yes. I think the next time I need a new pack (hopefully not for some years) I'll be looking at the Aarns. I like the idea of those front pockets, especially for the camera gear. I carry the camera on the front as it is, so I'm used to having the bulk there - not to mention the lack of vision.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Next

Return to Equipment