Issue with flaking and sticky seam sealer on tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Issue with flaking and sticky seam sealer on tent

Postby tas-man » Thu 28 Mar, 2024 12:48 am

My Mountain Designs "Pass" tent which had not been used for overnight camping for a few years was put into service over the March long weekend. When packing it up I discovered that the internal seam sealer tape has gone sticky and brittle in patches and is flaking off. In searching through the forum for information, I believe that my tent fabric must be PU coated polyester as the seams were sealed with tape that has reached its use by date. The tent fabric kept the rain off me with no leaks for two nights, but the sticky and flaking seam sealer needs attention before I use it again. What is the best way of removing the tape remnants? I have vacuumed all the loose bits off and are now left with the sticky bits. Can I use a solvent to clean up the remainder of the tape without damaging the tent fabric and PU coating?
IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Issue with flaking and sticky seam sealer on tent

Postby Nuts » Thu 28 Mar, 2024 9:32 am

I'd imagine you'd need to get all of it off to use new tape, then heard mixed results trying to re-tape.
Is the floor itself degraded (looks so)? You may be better off coating the entire floor?

Anyway.. have done hilleberg floor seams by taping (masking) either side and then flowing on a layer of seam grip with a small brush.
You'll need to stipple/work it in to the edges of any remaining tape. After a few days drying, coated with a sprinkle of talc as the surface feels tacky. It worked, not as pretty as a new seam, but worked.

I would have used IP alcohol to clean, and scourer pad iirc, doubt any usable solvent would desolve remaining tape glue (?)
Maybe heat, hairdryer/ heat gun would loosen it to be scrubbed off (?)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Issue with flaking and sticky seam sealer on tent

Postby Franco » Thu 28 Mar, 2024 10:00 am

Gear Aid has a You Tube clip on how to do it.
I would skip the tape masking bit an use an irrigation syringe to apply the Seam Grip if the brush does not work alone for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7uURBdvOmY&t=2s
I did Black Diamond and Bibler tents using the syringe way.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment