Exped Mountain Pro 40

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Exped Mountain Pro 40

Postby hobbitle » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 10:44 am

Hi guys

Anyone here used an Exped Mountain Pro 40 and want to offer any thoughts?
I'm mostly interested in how far the load capacity can be pushed.
Exped says 14kg but I'm wondering if this can be pushed to 16-17kg for longer trips

Cheers!
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Exped Mountain Pro 40

Postby neilmny » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 10:50 am

You might struggle to fit 16 to 17kg into 40 litres unless you plan on taking bricks with you.
You probably need more like 55 litres even then it might be a squeeze.
My own pack is 85 litres and 17kg fits easily but with not a huge amount of air space.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hobbitle » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Neil. :)
I can fit 16kg in my 30L Osprey. It's not hard when you're carrying alpine gear (rope, carabiners, ice tools etc). And I'm good at Tetris.
I wanted to get a 40L because my small Osprey is uncomfortable as hell at that weight (obviously!). The Exped hardness was still comfy when I tried it on in the shop with 15kg but not sure how that would go long term.
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Crikey, I was thinking you were thinking of light weight or lighter weight stuff.
Could be an expensive trial if you exceed their limit by too much but 1 or 2 kg. sounds like it shouldn't break something.
I guess you void the warranty if you exceed the limit.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:18 am

double post rats!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hobbitle » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:56 am

neilmny wrote:Crikey, I was thinking you were thinking of light weight or lighter weight stuff.
Could be an expensive trial if you exceed their limit by too much but 1 or 2 kg. sounds like it shouldn't break something.
I guess you void the warranty if you exceed the limit.

Haha I suppose everything that can be light weight is light weight but it still adds up when you start getting high up in the snow!
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 3:29 pm

Comfort limit would be reached way before load limit a bartack is good for 50kg easily and triple+ that when sewn with Spectra thread
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby makinbacon » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:05 am

What about the Lightning 45? It's rated by Exped up to 25kg since it uses their single aluminium stay "T Rex" system, I've had my 60 loaded pretty comfortably to that weight too. The main difference is that the Lightning series only uses 210D Dynema Ripstop Nylon compared to the 420D on the Mountain Pro.
makinbacon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby hobbitle » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 9:55 am

makinbacon wrote:What about the Lightning 45? It's rated by Exped up to 25kg since it uses their single aluminium stay "T Rex" system, I've had my 60 loaded pretty comfortably to that weight too. The main difference is that the Lightning series only uses 210D Dynema Ripstop Nylon compared to the 420D on the Mountain Pro.

Because I definitely prefer the lid system on the Mountain Pro as well as the daisy chain attachment systems.
Next one I would consider is Mountain Pro 50 perhaps.... which has a load limit of 18kg.... closer to what I'd actually be carrying.
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hobbitle » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 9:56 am

Moondog55 wrote:Comfort limit would be reached way before load limit a bartack is good for 50kg easily and triple+ that when sewn with Spectra thread

By load limit I mean what the manufacturer recommends for comfort limit.... as opposed to what weight will actually break it. :)
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment