deuter aircontact 65 vs Osprey Aether 70

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

deuter aircontact 65 vs Osprey Aether 70

Postby Vixair » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi,

I've narrowed my search down to either the deuter aircontact 65 or the Osprey Aether 70. Iv only had a chance to try on the Deuter and it felt great. Any thoughts and suggestions on the best pack? would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning to hike the Cape to Cape over easter.

Cheers, Vix
Vixair
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: deuter aircontact 65 vs Osprey Aether 70

Postby Mickl » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:26 pm

I have a Deuter 32L day pack and a Osprey Aether 70 hiking pack. Obviously there very different in size but I think I prefer the Osprey for its general design and features. I don't think you'd hate either of them, really more down to which one you prefer and more importantly is more comfortable.

Mick
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby beean » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 9:00 am

I had a Deuter 65 and found it to be one of the most comfy packs I've worn, but it's damn heavy. I'd go with the Osprey solely to save a .5kg. But I'm lazy and not willing to carry that weight...
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jdman » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 5:24 pm

Hey Vixair

I recently tried on both the Deuter aircontact 65 and the Osprey Aether 70. Out of these two I found the Deuter to be the most comfortable however I actually went with an Osprey Atmos 65 AG which was by far the most comfortable pack of the 3 in my opinion.
jdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 5:52 pm

I have an Osprey Aether 60 and love it. It carries a weight well and has all the functions I was looking for in a pack. It is a quality pack.

I can't offer anything towards the Deuter sorry. But a quick look at it suggests its quite heavy, although it 'looks' like a quality item.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby MickyB » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 6:11 pm

beean wrote:I had a Deuter 65 and found it to be one of the most comfy packs I've worn, but it's damn heavy.

I have a Deuter 75. I agree with beean - very comfy but on the heavy side. Having said that I don't have a lot of experience with other packs so other brands might be a lot more comfortable than Deuter packs.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby beean » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:42 am

MickyB wrote:
beean wrote:I had a Deuter 65 and found it to be one of the most comfy packs I've worn, but it's damn heavy.

I have a Deuter 75. I agree with beean - very comfy but on the heavy side. Having said that I don't have a lot of experience with other packs so other brands might be a lot more comfortable than Deuter packs.

I have used/own a variety of packs like Osprey, Black Diamond, Deuter, Mammut, Arc'teryx, Kathmandu; I still reckon that the Deuter was the most comfortable one. But the weight, man..

Osprey are damn good packs though, very comfortable.
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby rsser » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 2:38 pm

There is just no substitute for trying a pack out. Beg, borrow or hire. What feels great for 5 minutes in the shop can be torture an hour down the track.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment