[WTB Hobart] GPS - Handheld hiking unit

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[WTB Hobart] GPS - Handheld hiking unit

Postby TheOmen » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 9:54 am

Howdy all,

Looking to purchase a handheld GPS unit, as to begin to track my journies throughout the little island.

PM me if you have something that you're no longer using and looking to sell onewards
TheOmen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: [WTB Hobart] GPS - Handheld hiking unit

Postby Zapruda » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 12:51 pm

If you don’t need pinpoint accuracy a smartphone and one of the many free gps apps will be more than enough. I only bring my dedicated unit when recording historical sites. Phones are easier to use and read in my opinion.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby lefroy » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 3:55 pm

I use a suunto ambit 3 peak watch it's awesome. Mark points of interest, follow trails and retrace steps for off track walking.
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Bubbalouie » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 7:21 pm

Sure thing, I have a Garmin eTrex 30 for sale, happy to sell for $150 inc. shipping.

That said, if you've already got a phone and want to save some $ then Zapruda is right, at most you'll need a USB battery to charge it every day or 2. You'll also need to ensure it's a weather resistant phone. I've yet to see a dedicated hiking GPS with a screen as nice as a modern phone.

Personally I use a Fenix 6x as my main digital nav and my phone as backup electronic nav (yes I also have a map and compass depending on circumstances).
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired