[FS Sydney] A range of liquid fuel stoves

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[FS Sydney] A range of liquid fuel stoves

Postby rcaffin » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 3:33 pm

Liquid Fuel Stoves

This is a follow on from the Air Mats I advertised here recently. They were in general sent to me as Editor of Backpackinglight for test & review. In most cases they have been used no more than 2 or maybe 3 times. They were tested with Coleman Fuel in general.

All of these stove will burn Shellite, Coleman Fuel or (US) white gas (petrol, so to speak). Some of them will also burn kerosene. Kerosene has the advantage that, unlike petrol, it does not go 'whoomp' when it is spilt. It does need priming, typically with a little bit of metho. I used kerosene for many years before switching to canister stoves. In some cases the kit includes different jets for the different fuels.

They all come with fuel bottle and pump (except as noted). Note that there seems to be two different threads used on the fuel bottles (coarse and fine), and brands cannot be mixed without very careful checking. Regular checks of the O-ring seals is a good move. Replacement with Viton O-rings is recommended: other rubbers are not so good.

Prices shown in () are list prices where I can find them; the second price is the sale price. P&P and Paypal fee need to be added to this. Contact me via roger@backpackinglight.com for the correct Paypal address (it is not my email address!). Shipping will be to your Paypal address unless otherwise notified.

Coleman Denali
This is actually a dual-fuel stove in that the kit includes an attachment for canisters as well as for the normal fuel bottles. No mention made of kerosene.
Stove 322 g; fuel tank 120 g; metal pump 123 g; canister tripod adapter 109 g
Also fuel tank cap 19 g, aluminium windshield, carry bag and tool set
(US?), $50
ColemanDenali.jpg
ColemanDenali.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

The photo on the left has a different burner head from the actual unit, but it shows the canister stand.

Coleman Fyrestorm Ti
This too is a dual-fuel stove including both tank and pump for Shellite and a canister stand and adapter. A carry bag, a spare parts kit and a windscreen are also included.
Stove 218 g; Pump and fuel bottle 198 g; Canister adapter 94 g
(US$?) $50
Fyrestorm1.jpg
Fyrestorm1.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Coleman Apollo
Called a dual-fuel stove, in that it runs on Coleman fuel and petrol. No mention made of kerosene or canisters.
Stove 383 g; tank and pump 200 g. Also aluminium windshield and spares (mainly O-rings) kit.
(US$?) $50
ColemanApollo1.jpg
ColemanApollo1.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

MSR Whisperlite w tank & pump
Somewhat of a classic stove. Burns Shellite and kerosene fuels. Can be throttled to some degree.
This one has been used by me for a number of years, mainly burning kerosene, so it is a little sooty. Hence the reduction in price.
(US$90) $50 $40
Whisperlite_1.jpg
Whisperlite_1.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

MSR Simmerlite SOLD
A later variant on the Whisperlite. It can be turned down to some degree to a vigorous simmer, with some care, and more easily with Shellite than with kerosene.
(US$100) $50

simmerlite1.jpg
simmerlite1.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Optimus Nova
Similar to and competing to some degree with the MSR XGK EX but it never got the PR. Pump included but not the fuel bottle. The MSR fuel bottles appear to be compatible.
(US$150), $45
OptimusNova2B.jpg
OptimusNova2B.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Optimus Nova+
A later version of the Nova. Very similar to the Nova but made in China.
(US$150), $50
optimusnova+_2.jpg
optimusnova+_2.jpg (50.03 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Primus Gravity MF (2 off)
This is a light dual-fuel stove, taking both Shellite and canisters. I am not sure about kerosene.
($100) $50 each
PrimusGravityMF.jpg
PrimusGravityMF.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Primus Express Lander
Another variant on the Whisperlite. Interestingly, the air inlet holes are screened by mesh to prevent a form of flame backlash. The fuel bottle was not included with the stove. The thread matches that on the 16 oz MSR bottles, but the pump is tilted and will not fit in them: the Primus bottles are wider. I may be able to provide a suitable large (old) SIGG bottle.
Stove 174 g; Pump 104 g; fuel bottle 132 g
(US$?) $50
primus_express_lander.jpg
primus_express_lander.jpg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Continued in Part 2 below
Last edited by rcaffin on Tue 07 May, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: [FS Sydney] A range of liquid fuel stoves

Postby rcaffin » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 3:39 pm

Continuing the list. Please note that extra stoves may be added over time as I find them in the stack and document them.

Brunton Vapor-AF
The Brunton Vapor AF is a genuine multi-fuel vortex-burner stove handling canister gas, white spirit and kerosene. Brunton's claim to fame for this stove is that it can handle all three fuels without any changes of jet or preheat system, unlike with many older stoves. Instead it varies the air intakes. Yes, the kit does include the bottle for liquid fuel.
(US$225), $100
BruntonVaporAF.jpg
BruntonVaporAF.jpg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 2842 times

Fire-Maple F1
A dual-fuel variant on the Whisperlite, able to handle both Shellite and canister. The photo shows the fuel bottle with pump and the canister-style connection with valve.
(US$70) $40
FMS-F1_1.jpg
FMS-F1_1.jpg (12.91 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

Snow Peak Gigapower WG
Typical SnowPeak: very nicely made. Tools and spare parts included, with carry bags and a dip stick for the fuel bottle. The hose may be fully detached. Includes the full kit with detachable hose, not specified for kero.
(US$150) $70
SnowPeakWG_3.jpg
SnowPeakWG_3.jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

Nalge Trail bottle 16 oz (6 off)
These narrow-mouth straight-sided bottles with mountain cat logo are made of red nylon and are rated for both petrol-type fuels and for kerosene. They are not rated for alcohol fuels. (You can also buy red nylon jerrycans for petrol in Australia.)
They have the Nalge seal at the lid which is claimed to be leak-proof. I have added an O-ring to some of them just to be sure, and I carried them more or less on the outside of my pack anyhow.
They included a clever pouring spout with a finger-controlled air hole.
However, they do not seem to be made anymore.
(US$12), $6 each
(no pic)

AU postage
Small satchel 35.5 x 22 cm 0.5 kg $8.55+2.95+$2.00 = $13.00
Medium satchel 38.5 x 26.5 1.0 kg $11.55+2.95+$2.00 = $16.50
Box 20x15x10 0.5kg $8.30+$3.00+$1.50+$2.00 = $14.80
Box 20x15x10 1.0kg $15.05+$3.00+$1.50+$2.00 = $21.55
Last edited by rcaffin on Wed 01 May, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Don R » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 11:46 pm

Hello Roger, I will unburden your of an Optimus Nova and bottle please ! If you send your BSB and account details. Regards, Don
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby rcaffin » Wed 01 May, 2019 9:12 am

Hi Don

Prices shown in () are list prices where I can find them; the second price is the sale price. P&P and Paypal fee need to be added to this. Contact me via roger@backpackinglight.com for the correct Paypal address (it is not my email address!). Shipping will be to your Paypal address unless otherwise notified.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: [FS Sydney] Collector editions of liquid fuel stoves

Postby rcaffin » Wed 01 May, 2019 9:17 am

Yet more delights! Specials for collectors.

Antique Olympus 8R stove
This was bought by my wife in the mid-1960s and was used in Victoria and SW Tassie on many trips. It has recently been overhauled with a new internal wick and new seal on the valve stem. Spanner and handle are included. The paintwork shows the
years, and there is some surface rust - as might be expected. It runs fine, but it cannot match a modern canister stove for power. It is sold as is (see right hand stove in photo) with no guarantees: it might suit a collector best.
Original price unknown, FS for $50
8821.jpg
8821.jpg (125.07 KiB) Viewed 2887 times

Pak-Cook V: antique Taiwanese clone of Olympus 8R
Yes, this is an almost exact clone of the Olympus 8R dating from the late 1960s as well. The remains of the cardboard box it came in show a retail price of $9.60! It is in somewhat better condition (intact paint and little rust) than the Olympus 8R I have listed. It includes a windshield which the 8R did not have. It is sold as is (see left hand stove in photo) with no guarantees: it might suit a collector best.
Original price $9.60, FS $50
8821.jpg
8821.jpg (125.07 KiB) Viewed 2887 times

Cheers
Roger
PS: canister coming stoves in the future.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Wed 08 May, 2019 6:02 pm

Edit by date expired! Oh bother.
Optimus Nova Plus SOLD

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides