WTB Tarptent Scarp 1 (WA)

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

WTB Tarptent Scarp 1 (WA)

Postby Suz » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 10:35 am

I am looking to buy a Scarp 1 in very good condition. I will consider a Scarp 2 but I'd really prefer a 1.

Ideally would like solid + mesh inners and crossing poles for flexibility in set up.

In exchange I am happy to:
* just buy it from you, or
* swap my Stratospire 1 + add in some extra cash for you. (Can post pics of my Strat in its current condition if anyone wants that option).

I am located in Esperance WA so it'll have to be posted to me - happy to buy from anywhere in the country.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: WTB Tarptent Scarp 1 (WA)

Postby Suz » Sun 03 Mar, 2019 2:27 pm

Bump
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Suz » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 11:09 am

bump
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Suz » Fri 22 Nov, 2019 11:05 am

I am still looking for one of these if someone here gets around to selling theirs
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 22 Nov, 2019 8:24 pm

Best 1 person tent I've found so far for my needs. Don't think they'd come up often. (Having said that, I got mine from Franco.) I'd get a new one when mine dies, except that they make them bigger now, for some bizarre reason (upsized to a 1.5 person). It was already lovely and roomy for a great lightish one person tent, and the extra size now just adds unnecessary weight. Or you've probably figured that out already, which is why you're sensibly after an older second hand one. :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Suz » Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:05 am

Actually no Tortoise, I didn't know that, appreciate you pointing it out :) It was the USD v AUD that has been putting me off
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 9:42 am

Suz, too bad you weren't in Hobart in August. I never fell in love with my Scarp 1. I used it on a number of trips but there were a number of things that always bugged me about it. I'd curse it every time I used it. It was still in good shape and I was going to try and sell it cheap before flying home from Tasmania. But instead I ended up giving it away to someone, just to finally be rid of it.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Suz » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 3:27 pm

Orion, that's pretty sad! What didn't you like about it? And what has made you happy in its place? I'm a bit fed up with my Stratospire 1, but perhaps I should just live with it!
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 6:33 pm

Suz wrote:Orion, that's pretty sad! What didn't you like about it? And what has made you happy in its place? I'm a bit fed up with my Stratospire 1, but perhaps I should just live with it!

What bugs you about the Stratosphere 1, Suz?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Suz » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 5:24 am

Well trying to set it up on hard ground isn't fun. Also the inner sags, that might be because it's old tho, perhaps I need to do something to adjust that :|
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 26 Dec, 2019 11:23 am

Suz wrote:Orion, that's pretty sad! What didn't you like about it? And what has made you happy in its place? I'm a bit fed up with my Stratospire 1, but perhaps I should just live with it!

Lots of little things. It was too hot on warm days but with partial mesh, a fly that didn't reach the ground, and the middle struts it wouldn't have been really great for snow camping either. The inner was too low and, except when I was laying down, my head was always in contact with it. When it rained the inner would usually be stuck to the fly unless I used an extra cord to tension it to a tree or over a trekking pole. I had to close the door when it rained or else pull the inner way inside the fly to keep water out. The vestibules were too small for safe cooking. The struts meant that I couldn't stuff the tent; it had to be rolled into a long package. The stuff sack was smallish -- I made my own to replace it. The poorly designed pockets were missing a side so stuff always fell out if them. No zip pulls? Plus a bunch of other little things...

On the plus side it was roomy enough for all my gear and for cooking inside. It set up pretty easily. And it kept me dry.

I bought a two person Big Agnes tent to replace it. It's taller inside, it actually has even more floor space, it's free standing, and it weighs less. It isn't integral pitch though -- body then fly over top. But as a summer solo tent I expect it will be just fine. I say expect because I haven't used it yet.

All tents have trade offs. Lots of people love the Scarp 1. I hope mine gets loved by whoever the guy I gave it to gave it to in turn. I'm just sorry I hadn't read your post about wanting one. I would have sent it to you for the cost of postage.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Suz » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks Orion, I really appreciate you detailing your issues with it. I will tolerate my Stratospire then for the time being as it has a few of those flaws, but not all of them. I have bought a new summer tent as well, yet to use it, hoping that it'll work nicely for good weather. And then for all weather, I'll keep looking...
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired