Your Preferred Monthly Photo Competitions Format - A Poll

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

What would be the best set of monthly photo competition categories for this site?

Poll ended at Tue 20 Sep, 2011 1:36 pm

• Landscape Australia
  • Landscape Tasmania
  • Landscape Other States
  • Non-Landscape
51%
  • Landscape
  • Non-Landscape
39%
  • Australia
10%

Total votes : 51

Your Preferred Monthly Photo Competitions Format - A Poll

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 1:36 pm

Discussions in a number of topics over the last year or so indicate that it might be worth considering changing the categories for the regular monthly competitions that are held on this site.

NB: This poll has been revised, removing the technically infeasible and the unpopular options, and adding one further option. The votes were all reset to zero when the options were changed. So please re-cast your vote if you have not done so already.

Some notes to consider before casting your vote:
  • Some members would like to address the issue that some members have less opportunity to enter our monthly photo competitions, simply due to where they live.
  • Some members would like to address the issue that one region may (or may have the potential to) dominate open competitions that are not restricted by region or state.
  • The definition of "landscape" and "non-landscape" would be up to the interpretation of the voters for each entry when placing their votes for each competition.
  • An "Other States" competition category could eventually see other states or regions broken out into their own competition category in the future if/when those regions regularly receive enough entries to warrant their own competition.
  • For the poll options that include an "Australia" competition category, this means Australia-wide including Tasmania (and NZ even though it is not part of Australia).

Note that you can change your vote in this poll (until the poll closes). This allows for a semi-preferential voting system for people who are interested enough to come back and see how the poll is progressing over time. The poll will run for 14 days.

I cannot guarantee that any action would be made to the photo competitions due to this poll, no matter what the results. However, the results will be taken into consideration, and might possibly form the basis for some change in future. If some change is made, it may or may not reflect the preferred (or any) option in this poll
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Your Preferred Monthly Photo Competitions Format - A Pol

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 1:44 pm

PS.

• For the poll options that do not have any categories that specify any regions, then every category is Australia-wide including Tasmania (and NZ). Eg, the option that includes only the two categories "Landscape" and "Non-Landscape", it means that photos from anywhere in Australia, including Tasmania (and NZ), can be entered into any of the categories.
  • "Non-Landscape" is up to the interpretation of the voter. However, it would generally be expected to include macro photos or photos with a near or middle distance primary subject, including flora, fauna, as well as artistic photos.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 8:47 pm

Well one interesting observation so far in this poll is that 73% of voters would prefer to have landscape and non-landscape categories, and 27% would prefer to have the categories defined only by location.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 9:21 am

There is also a serious problem with this poll. The current leading option (ie, the one with the 'Monthly Final') is probably not going to be technically feasible. I simply don't have the resources to implement that kind of change to the system in the short term (although I think I also like that option the best). I guess I should not have included it in the poll.

However, what to do about it now.

I cannot remove an item from the poll without resetting all the values (even if I could that would not result in a fair poll). Being that this poll allows people to change their vote, could I please encourage...

All those who voted for the 'Monthly Final' option, Please change your vote, as this is technically not feasible in the short term.

If that doesn't happen, I may have to consider a new 'grand final' poll (perhaps without the 3 or 4 least favourite options as well as without the 'Monthly Final' option).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Screen Shot 2011-09-07 at 9.16.04 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 10:03 am

Son of a Beach wrote:All those who voted for the 'Monthly Final' option, Please change your vote, as this is technically not feasible in the short term.

wow... that was quick. Thanks guys for your cooperation.

I also realise that I should have included an option for just one simple Australia-wide competition.

Screen Shot 2011-09-07 at 10.07.49 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 10:17 am

This poll has now been revised, removing the technically infeasible and the unpopular options, and adding one further option. The votes were all reset to zero when the options were changed.

Please re-cast your votes.

(Sorry for any confusion or hassle, but I'm hoping this will result in a more useful result in the long run).

The results of the initial poll are contained in the screenshots attached earlier, so have not been lost or ignored.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 3:03 pm

IF we end up changing the competition format, it looks like the categories are going to be divided according to Landscape and Non-Landscape (and possibly according to region as well).

IF this was to happen, I'd be really keen to find a better term than "Non-Landscape" which covered all of the possibilities apart from landscape (including, but not limited to, macro, flora, fauna, artistic, etc). Any ideas?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 3:54 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:IF this was to happen, I'd be really keen to find a better term than "Non-Landscape" which covered all of the possibilities apart from landscape (including, but not limited to, macro, flora, fauna, artistic, etc). Any ideas?

Since it would be excluding only one style and allowing a number of others it's a bit difficult to define it uniquely. I had a look at the categories for the photographic competition for the 2011 Sydney Royal Easter Show (years ago I entered a bushwalking photo). These were the categories:

Rural Subject i.e. images that capture the essence of rural Australia
    Portrait, Human Form
    Urban Landscape
    Open Section
Clearly only two of these could apply here. My suggestion is simply go with "Open".

Edit: I'm now rethinking my suggestion. "Open" could conceivably allow anything including landscapes. I'm not sure that "Non-Landcsape" should be a problem? It clearly defines what can't be entered in that category and allows anything else. Other terms may need explaining in the rules, then people may not read them carefully etc.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby eggs » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 5:16 pm

Why not "artistic"
It focusses away from landscape - but leaves it open to a series of types - whether portrait, macro plant/animal or what I would call iconic.
I mentioned the last comp had a number of iconic shots - eg wall of water, sunset at Kakadu, Light show.

In the end - it will be the voters who determine what will be successful.
PS - a bit disappointed that a 3 comp variant was not included in the last round. It would be a shame to lose the distinctly Tas section.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Chris » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 10:24 pm

Son of a Beach wrote: I'd be really keen to find a better term than "Non-Landscape" which covered all of the possibilities apart from landscape (including, but not limited to, macro, flora, fauna, artistic, etc). Any ideas?

Miscellaneous?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stibb » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 7:35 am

I don't get it (as usual :lol: ). The option "landscape, non-landscape" is sort of included in the 1st option. If they don't want to enter more photos than that, they don't have to. For those who would like a few more options can enter a few more shots. The 1st option gives more people more options while the 2nd option is restrictive. Now when we have a chance to make this comp more inclusive and give everyone more opportunities, why chose a restrictive option :?: :?
Stibb
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 9:24 am

Stibb wrote:The option "landscape, non-landscape" is sort of included in the 1st option. If they don't want to enter more photos than that, they don't have to. For those who would like a few more options can enter a few more shots. The 1st option gives more people more options while the 2nd option is restrictive. Now when we have a chance to make this comp more inclusive and give everyone more opportunities, why chose a restrictive option :?: :?

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you Stibb.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 10:04 am

Stibb, there are a few curiousities so far.

The original ILUV poll had 9 out of 19 wanting status quo, but that is not even an option now, as status quo only attracted 2 votes out of 20 in the SoB poll. Huh.. ???

However, the logic here could well be
- keep it simple [which would also assist the admin work in running it] or
- ensure locals can enter every competition there is [after all its the 'others' who are being 'peevish' with this] :roll:

As I have said - the removal of a distinctly Tas competition would be a shame, as would not adopting a competition to showcase non-Tas.
I think the admin burden for more than 2 comps would be minimal - as SoB runs robots for the entry process.
So I think you make a good point.
If you think about it - if enough people would like a rest of Aus/NZ competition, and admin was happy to provide, what would it matter what others thought about it - it would not really affect them.

But you should remember that SoB said the poll was a guide, not something he would necessarily adopt.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 11:23 am

eggs wrote:If you think about it - if enough people would like a rest of Aus/NZ competition, and admin was happy to provide, what would it matter what others thought about it - it would not really affect them.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Brian. I actually thought that was the original intention of the "Australia" comp. No problem with having (as well) open/all of Aus. and artistic/macro sections if they are manageable.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 4:54 pm

Stibb wrote:I don't get it (as usual :lol: ). The option "landscape, non-landscape" is sort of included in the 1st option. If they don't want to enter more photos than that, they don't have to. For those who would like a few more options can enter a few more shots.
As I see it, the current question is one of "genre centric" or "location centric" competitions. Many of the regular contributors know the history of the site. The Tasmanian competition was the original competition put up by Joe when the site was Tasmanian based. I don't think that competition was intended to be location centric. The genre chosen was loosely "Tasmanian BushWalking Related"; it wasn't meant to be exclusive, it just represented the focus of the site at the time. The Australian competition was added to be more inclusive; it was not intended to be an "us-and-them" thing.

The site has grown now, and it is probably time to move on. I personally think we should move away from any suggestion of location centric competitions; towards one that is much more inclusive for all site users. For me, genre centric makes more sense than location centric, and the two genre currently suggested are "landscape" and "non-landscape" (all other genre). I presume the intention is "with a bushwalking related theme".
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 5:01 pm

I agree completely with you WT.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 5:59 pm

walkinTas wrote: I personally think we should move away from any suggestion of location centric competitions; towards one that is much more inclusive for all site users. For me, genre centric makes more sense than location centric, and the two genre currently suggested are "landscape" and "non-landscape" (all other genre).

I can see your point and I am (now) aware of the history but the way I see it is that if you want to be more genre centered you can still do that with option 1 (at least not less than with option 2). However, for those who also would like to keep a location centric comp would obviously go for option 1. Option 2 is only for those of you that are genre centered while Option 1 is for everyone (ok, maybe not ILUV but most others :P ). Surely 4 comps must satisfy more people than 2 comps when those 2 comps are included in the 4 comp option. The poll tells me something different and that's what I don't get.
Stibb

Postby walkinTas » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 7:38 pm

Son of a beach wrote:I think there are two issues being discussed in this topic:
    Some members get half as many opportunities as others to enter photo competitions on this site most months.
    One region either does, or has the potential to, dominate open photo competitions that have no region-based restrictions. (Taken from this discussion).

Stibb wrote:the way I see it is that if you want to be more genre centered you can still do that with option 1 (at least not less than with option 2). However, for those who also would like to keep a location centric comp would obviously go for option 1.
I'd agree that both option 1 and option 2 include the same genre. Option 1 also includes location centric competitions. I also agree that some members are very concerned about the second point listed by Nik (click to read for yourself what Nik said).

From my perspective it is clear, if you think "location centric" is best, vote 1. If you'd prefer to move away from this focus, vote 2. If you want one big competition, vote 3 (personal option - not speaking from an admin perspective). I am voting option 2, mostly because I think it is the location centric nature of the competitions that is causing most of the anxiety, but if you'd prefer a location based competition then I'd strongly encourage you to vote for option 1.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:29 pm

So what if it turns out Tasmanians will "dominate" the Landscape comp in option 2 (as Nik sugested was a risk)? Wasn't that one part of the issue? As eggs pointed out with option 1 non-Tas photos will also be showcased even if no one else is interested (I would be!).

*shrug* I'm obviously in the minority group here so I can only hope Nik will still give (all of) us more options rather than fewer :wink:
Stibb

Postby jcr_au » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 11:04 pm

I haven't been in a position to post photos for nearly 9 months due to injuries/accidents but I've been able to get back on the track and started entering again.

In the time I've been inactive there seems to have been an increase in the entries in the Australia comp, which was always, I thought, the intention.

In fact I thought the discussion a couple of years ago was that the Australia comp was hoped to grow to the point that individual mainland state comps might be possible.

I'd really be disappointed if the Aus & Tas comps were combined. The people who vote in each comp are probably the same, by & large, and the dilution of votes would be significant. I think we should be looking at getting better voter participation amongst the general membership as a far more important priority. I think merging the 2 comps back in to one could bugger them both up.

I can also see that there is a desire amongst some members to have a comp more focused to their non-landscape interests. That could be achieved by adding 1 extra comp for macro, or whatever it is to be called. I could, perhaps, see myself getting interested in that and having somewhere to enter a 2nd shot each month. As to the definition/rules for this section, perhaps a photo club could help with that if we define the broad parameters.

Obviously I'm voting 1
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby mjdalessa » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 9:22 pm

Is it more about competition than anything else? If there is only a landscape and non landscape section then that is what it is IMO. I don't know about others, but I find it hard to compare Tasmanian scenes to the rest of australia because they are so different. I enjoy seeing a folio of just Tasmanian pictures, but also like seeing the rest of the country. I think it is a little unfair how us tasmanians have an exclusive comp but can post in the australia wide comp though. The monthly final was a good idea because then you get the different folios and the unbiased competition side of things.
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa

Postby Stibb » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 1:38 pm

Wow, that was a big swing for option 1 suddenly. There's hope... :)
Stibb

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 3:12 pm

This poll isn't making the decision making any easier. Still a tie. Maybe I'll do nothing and leave it for new management to decide some time in the future. :-D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frenchy_84 » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 3:35 pm

if option 1 wins then there is going to need to be a clear definition and agreement amongst players about how the Aus one sits over the states competition because currently, Tas entrants but there second best photo in the Aus comp because they rarely win due to vote bias. IMO the whole of Aus comp should be the number 1 comp and then the states as tiers below that. but hey IMO i dont think we need different competitions just a change in attitude to make the Aus comp fairer.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tasadam » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 3:39 pm

To make it clear, does "Landscape - other states" mean that if those states consistently get enough entries, they can have their own comp like Tasmania does, and the "other states" comp is for states without their own state based comp?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby eggs » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 5:40 pm

Actually SoB - I think it does offer some direction.

If you think about it - option 2 is entirely contained within option 1.
Option 2 = Landscape [=> landscape Australia(NZ)] & non-landscape
Option 1 = landscape Australia(NZ) & non-landscape plus 2 extra competitions - namely just Tas & just the Rest

So given that you are working from a small base to start with - and with 46 votes you have basically covered all those who either contribute or vote to date
- a clear vote of 22 for option 1 is a good base to start from & all those who voted for option 2 will just contribute to 2 out of the 4 competitions.
{And in line with frenchy's comment - the all Aus/Nz would be the 'premier' comp}

See - easy :wink:

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 6:02 pm

i agree. 1 is far more inviting
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 6:59 pm

As long as we get enough entries.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby walkinTas » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 8:10 am

tasadam wrote:To make it clear, does "Landscape - other states" mean that if those states consistently get enough entries, they can have their own comp like Tasmania does, and the "other states" comp is for states without their own state based comp?
I read it as an "Australian competition for everyone" (if you allow NZ to seek in), plus a "Tasmanian only competition" plus a second competition for "everyone not living in Tasmania".

eggs wrote:If you think about it - option 2 is entirely contained within option 1.
Agree Option 2 is covered by Option 1's "Australian competition for everyone" and non-landscape photo.

north-north-west wrote:As long as we get enough entries.
Ahh - there's the rub! Will there be enough interest to sustain four good competitions.

Son of a Beach wrote:Maybe I'll do nothing and leave it for new management to decide some time in the future. :-D
Option 3 :D - and it might be the smartest option yet. ;)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 8:31 am

walkinTas wrote:I read it as an "Australian competition for everyone" (if you allow NZ to seek in), plus a "Tasmanian only competition" plus a second competition for "everyone not living in Tasmania".

I would have thought Tas visitors would be welcome to enter too...just as Tassies can visit the Big Island and enter in the rest-of-Aus

walkinTas wrote:
north-north-west wrote:As long as we get enough entries.
Ahh - there's the rub! Will there be enough interest to sustain four good competitions.

We probably wont see many new competitors but don't you think those who have contributed previously will enter a few more shots? I hope so! Maybe it's time to do a bit more promoting here :)

walkinTas wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:Maybe I'll do nothing and leave it for new management to decide some time in the future. :-D
Option 3 :D - and it might be the smartest option yet. ;)

I think it would be better to get this over with so we can move on. It's in your hands Nik :) If for some reason it just doesn't work out, the new owner can make some adjustments later on.
Stibb

Next

Return to Forum & Site