Larger pic size when sending via PM please!

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Larger pic size when sending via PM please!

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:14 pm

I'd like to be able to add bigger files when sending a PM.

The amount of times I try to add a photo or GPS plot to send someone only to have to resize it is frustrating.

We can have pics up to 3(or is it 5) meg when uploading to the site, why cant we do this when sending via PM???
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Larger pic size when sending via PM please!

Postby Strider » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:34 pm

Email it?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:37 pm

larger files sizes to upload to the site in general would be good. the site allows 3mb photos and seeing as most cameras these days produce bigger file sizes than that youve always got to resize the images.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tasadam » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:03 pm

Currently rule 9 states the requirements for attachments, to quote -
When posting images, consideration should be given to users with slow or expensive internet connections. In particular:
New topics with large embedded images or multiple embedded images (ie, images embedded using the tags) totalling more than 200 K (per person, per topic) must either:
be posted in the "Gallery" forum, or
include warning text such as, "(large images)", in the topic subject
Replies to existing topics outside of the "Gallery" forum and without a "(large images)" warning in the subject, must not use large/multiple images totalling more than 200 K (per person, per topic).
No embedded images (ie, images embedded using tags) should be more than 800 pixels wide to avoid unnecessary scrolling or images being clipped on common screen sizes. This applies to the Gallery forum as well as all other forums. (Even at 800 pixels, images will be clipped in some browser windows).
Attached image files can be any resolution but should be no larger than 1 MB. The forums will display these as 800 pixel (maximum) thumbnails linked to the full size image.
The total size of all images displayed in a topic should be no more than 200k per person per topic (except in the Gallery forums or if the topic has a large images warning in the topic title).

Currently the maximum file size for messages is 256kb per file with a maximum of 3 files per message.
And the maximum file size per post is 3Mb with a maximum of 5 attachments per post.

Obviously if it is possible to post 5 attachments at 3Mb each, this somewhat flies int he face of the 200kb per TOPIC rule (I don't make the rules).

To my way of thinking, 3Mb is plenty big enough for jpg attachments, but I am unaware of the size requirements for other file types you mention so feel free to convince me otherwise about 3Mb.
There are plenty of resize programs that work well, some are linked here on the forum - see viewtopic.php?p=178269#p178269

What I have done for now is change the maximum file size for messages from 256kb per file with a maximum of 3 files per message, to 1Mb per file with a maximum of 5 files per message.
I have also made Wildwalks aware of this topic and made a suggestion regarding auto-resizing.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:09 pm

I think Internet providers and plans have moved abit further forward from when that rule was introduced Adam. Finding a program to resize images isn't the problem it's the fact we have to resize them that is the pain in the *&%$#!.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:11 pm

tasadam wrote:What I have done for now is change the maximum file size for messages from 256kb per file with a maximum of 3 files per message, to 1Mb per file with a maximum of 5 files per message.
I have also made Wildwalks aware of this topic and made a suggestion regarding auto-resizing.

CORRECTION - after consulting with Matt, the attachment settings for PM's now matches the forum based settings, of 3Mb per file and a maximum of 5 files per message.

Yes, I cannot edit the rules (I think). I have made the suggestion.
I have also made a suggestion about auto-resizing, but that takes a bit of implementing, and I know time is tight.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tasadam » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:13 pm

frenchy_84 wrote:I think Internet providers and plans have moved abit further forward from when that rule was introduced Adam.
It's also about mobile users, with data plans that suck, and cost a fortune in data if you go over.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby wildwalks » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:18 pm

tasadam wrote:
frenchy_84 wrote:I think Internet providers and plans have moved abit further forward from when that rule was introduced Adam.
It's also about mobile users, with data plans that suck, and cost a fortune in data if you go over.

Thanks all for this thread.
I think we have software to scale the images on the fly now?? (Will need to check this... all these changes tend to go fuzzy in my brain)
If there is a need for larger files I am happy to look into it more.

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 10:32 pm

I avoid the problem by hosting the images on another site and hotlinking them.

If you use dropbox or www.puu.sh you can even just right click in explorer and paste the image link into the message.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:36 am

[quote="ILUVSWTAS"]I'd like to be able to add bigger files when sending a PM.

The amount of times I try to add a photo or GPS plot to send someone only to have to resize it is frustrating. quote]

I thought you didn't keep GPX files. Or do you just mean your little squiggly map of where you went . . .?
*thinks* Must do, GPX files take up next to no room compared to images.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 2:50 pm

north-north-west wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:I'd like to be able to add bigger files when sending a PM.

The amount of times I try to add a photo or GPS plot to send someone only to have to resize it is frustrating. quote]

I thought you didn't keep GPX files. Or do you just mean your little squiggly map of where you went . . .?
*thinks* Must do, GPX files take up next to no room compared to images.

They are screen shots of the track from my GPS. So they are EXACTLY where I went.

And yeh Frenchy gets my point at least. It is a pain in the *&%$#!.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 3:28 pm

Strider wrote:Email it?

If someone PM's me asking for a route, i'd prefer to give it to them on the spot rather than have to ask for an email address.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 3:30 pm

It'd still be easier to keep and send the GPX files. They're smaller than jpegs or any sort of image file. Still, to each his own.

I do understand what you mean, I find it a pain to have to resize images for Where am I?, but . . . well, not worth bitching about.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 3:39 pm

north-north-west wrote:It'd still be easier to keep and send the GPX files. They're smaller than jpegs or any sort of image file. Still, to each his own.

I do understand what you mean, I find it a pain to have to resize images for Where am I?, but . . . well, not worth bitching about.

But I just dont get using other people's GPX files. To find the start of a walk or something sure, but the Co-ords suffice. Why go walking if you are following someone else's track? doesn't that take the adventure out of it? Well it does for me anyway.

Yeh, each to they're own i guess.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frenchy_84 » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 3:50 pm

Making it easier to post images may increase participation in the photo gallery. While over the years discussion about gear has increased it seems to me that gallery and trip reports have dropped (or perhaps not grown as the same rate as gear topics). Trip reports are more often than not just a link to their blog (somebody cant even be bothered supplying the link, I can only assume that is to increase google searches) and few gallery additions. If the photo upload ability was similar to Facebooks then perhaps more gallerys may be added. Im fortunate as I follow alot of active bushwalkers on facebook so i see the galleries but for the benefit of the forum I think addressing this issue would help.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 3:58 pm

Well said Mike.

that's the exact reason most of the guys I know do exactly that.

Years ago I wrote heaps of trip reports, it used to take ages, on FB it takes mere minutes.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Forum & Site