This is no community.

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Re: This is no community.

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 8:55 am

north-north-west wrote:
Nuts wrote:I should say that I agree, it could appear capricious.

In a large part, wouldn't that be due to whether or not a particular post is reported?

Well.. in this case i think matagi is upset at me moving her posts? This is usually done on reports though not that particular time if I recall correctly (otherwise i'm not exactly sure where she was 'moderated') :)

Otherwise, yes, moderation very much relies on reports. I couldn't imagine lasting long if the problems with what people say were all my/our very own.
Some conflicts are missed, people fall by the wayside and likely very few have even realised there has been a problem.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby matagi » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 7:32 pm

Nuts wrote:
north-north-west wrote:
Nuts wrote:I should say that I agree, it could appear capricious.

In a large part, wouldn't that be due to whether or not a particular post is reported?

Well.. in this case i think matagi is upset at me moving her posts? This is usually done on reports though not that particular time if I recall correctly (otherwise i'm not exactly sure where she was 'moderated') :)

Otherwise, yes, moderation very much relies on reports. I couldn't imagine lasting long if the problems with what people say were all my/our very own.
Some conflicts are missed, people fall by the wayside and likely very few have even realised there has been a problem.

No, I was not upset, just somewhat puzzled. I don't understand this need to merge threads or split threads. It really messes up the continuity and even the context on occasion. It is a technique which is used to excess on this forum.

I stand by my observation that the moderation on this site can appear quite capricious at times.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 8:12 pm

Ok, well, Iv'e already agreed.. tried to explain why that may be so.. but as almost all merges and splits are suggested by members here It's pretty obvious the potential that someone's not going to agree at any given instance.

My pre-sympathies to whomever feels over or under or unjustly moderated if that helps.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 12:41 am

{post removed}
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby Nuts » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:26 am

Youv'e already said the same thing several times, last time so nasty I suspect you were banned? Anyhow.. if you're up in the middle of the night worried about this forum then i'd suggest seeking help.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:59 am

Nuts wrote:Youv'e already said the same thing several times, last time so nasty I suspect you were banned? Anyhow.. if you're up in the middle of the night worried about this forum then i'd suggest seeking help.

Really?

Is it really necessary to say that?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 12:13 pm

You mean suggesting he could do with some help?? I had other things in mind, however this was the only productive, sincere comment I had left.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 2:27 pm

Just to clarify: this is not a personal attack, but more of a reminder that it takes two to tango.

I think the entire post was neither productive or necessary.

I'm not agreeing with what Zone-5 says either.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 3:01 pm

Nothing here is 'necessary' icefest. Not even your contribution to tell me so. I agree it takes two to Tango but this time I wasn't dancing.

I know how it seems, another attack.. Read the topic that spurned his distaste. If you consider that I (among others) have suffered his viscious personal attacks (the worst of which have been deleted), offered to discus his issue by pm, acknowledged that his was a good question, tried humour, excused any comments of offence, tried to keep his suggestion open for discussion, tried to explain the use of 'Forum & Site'... I thought it worthwhile subjecting myself to lord-knows-what.. to tell him what seems to remain when eliminating the obvious.

ps. and no, telling someone so may not exactly be pc but that crisis is for others to ponder.
Last edited by Nuts on Sun 09 Mar, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 3:04 pm

I'd just like to say that this is a community for me.

I usually just stay away from the stuff I don't find helpful/productive - so I confess I haven't read all of this thread.

I've have had a huge amount of help on specific tracks/routes (which is why I joined originally), I've bought some great gear I wouldn't have been able to afford new, I've met and walked with some great people, I've been given some gear by some generous people, so I can share some wonderful experiences of bushwalking with kids who wouldn't otherwise get the opportunity to do it. I've had inspiration and practical suggestions in 'going lighter', which has already given me great benefits, I've enjoyed encouraging newbies, sharing information, handy hints & experiences, I've drooled over photos of awesome places, I've loved playing the games, and I love being connected, even if only electronically, with others who share a passion for being in the bush in general, and being on tops of mountains in particular.

That's all. I'll pull my head back in now. :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 5:17 pm

Tortoise wrote:I'd just like to say that this is a community for me.

Fact that there's been discussions b/n individuals within the forum is evidence enough that this is a community. What are people complaining of? :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 5:54 pm

Nuts wrote:Nothing here is 'necessary' icefest. Not even your contribution to tell me so. I agree it takes two to Tango but this time I wasn't dancing.

Maybe 'necessary' is not the most descriptive word and 'constructive' would be more apt.
I'm hoping this conversation will be constructive (i.e. the forums will be nicer than if I hadn't said anything).
Nuts wrote:I know how it seems, another attack.. Read the topic that spurned his distaste. If you consider that I (among others) have suffered his vicious personal attacks (the worst of which have been deleted), offered to discus his issue by pm, acknowledged that his was a good question, tried humour, excused any comments of offence, tried to keep his suggestion open for discussion, tried to explain the use of 'Forum & Site'... I thought it worthwhile subjecting myself to lord-knows-what.. to tell him what seems to remain when eliminating the obvious.

If you know it seems to be another attack then why say it that way?

I've been reading both this entire topic and the topic that spurned his diastase as they occurred, I even read most of the more spiteful comments before they were deleted/moderated. I did not reply because I did not think that I could add to the conversation.

Is someone else's conduct a worthwhile excuse?
Nuts wrote:ps. and no, telling someone so may not exactly be pc but that crisis is for others to ponder.

Shall we ponder it together, in the interest of future conversations?

TL;DR I understand that you are @#$@#ed off at him/her but you've been here longer so you should hold yourself up to higher standards.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 6:49 pm

Bugger me- look! 'seem to be another attack' was in deference to what I expect of some peoples attitude on here. If correct, and this guy (up in the middle of the night, here, for this).. gets some help then my comment was constructive and therefore your opinion, which seems to be that I should keep quiet or sugar coat the suggestion, is redundant. There is nothing shameful in seeking help for mental illness, i'll also not be suppressed by any stigma some people attach to saying so. Higher standards indeed..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:12 pm

Zone-5 wrote:{quote removed by admin}

Zone 5, You are free to walk wherever you like in tasmania. You don't need to ask permission of anyone. You can go for as long as you like wherever you like ( in stealth - just like anyone else).
If you would like information, you may have to say please and thank you, just like anyone else, and just like your mummy taught you (i hope).
This is a community.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:31 am

{post removed}
Zone-5

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:46 am

No Zone 5, your post before you amended it was a disgrace.........
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:52 am

{post removed}
Zone-5

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 1:02 am

Giddy_up wrote:No Zone 5, your post before you amended it was a disgrace.........

I disagree, there is a lot of troll/bullying here by so called 'more experienced' members as mentioned in the very first post and it continues here right up to the last few posts!

Forum trolls are cretins and I will always call out the trolls here as cretins without fear or favour!

:D
Zone-5

Postby photohiker » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 7:50 am

Zone-5 wrote:You have won forum trolls, I am beaten and have moved on as I'm busy at another site that encourages
information sharing without the need for any 'elitist' qualification.

As I am an old guy, I shan't be wasting any more of my time and my breath on those here who seemingly
aren't interested in anything but their own navel fluff.

So why are you still here?

You have found another site that suits your needs, you have said goodbye, and yet you are still here poking with a stick.

Give it a rest will you. :?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:03 am

photohiker wrote:So why are you still here?

This is a very interesting observation on human behaviour. I have also seen it many times, one where a forumite would say goodbye in a rage, vowing to never return, but the attraction of further argument would draw them back. A form of addiction or self pride? All very interesting to watch on the side line. At the same time, their enemy could easily use such behaviours to their advantage. LOL
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:12 am

Please accept my apologies icefest, that Was a bit overdone..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:34 am

What is this thread about?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:43 am

Strider wrote:What is this thread about?

Rants, raves, insults and flounces, for the most part. Entertaining if you like that sort of thing . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby neilmny » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:43 am

It was about someones sentiment that this is no community but now it seems to be about an altercation on a different thread :shock: :|
I'd like to turn it into a thread about the beautiful sunny morning out here near Mt. Dandenong this morning. :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:04 am

You have not have 5 pages of posts if Bushwalk.com was not a community! I think the evidence is not in the words and arguments but the hard evidence. Pretty conclusive to me.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Forum & Site