Improving forum participation

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Improving forum participation

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:17 am

Obviously I'm a new guy here,and I guess like others I had a bit of a long look [lurk] before I actually joined up. Which I did because I have grown weary of forums where nazi's get all bent out of shape over the most trivial of discussions and flame wars erupt, and so far at least there seems to be a level of civility at this site.

But I can't help notice that for every topic posted here, there's a ratio of about 20 to 30 who poke in and have a look but don't add anything to the discussion. 10 comments and 300 people who can't or wont add to the chat. Now I'm sure that out of all those peeps, there has to be a boatload of hopefully useful futher discussion to give. So, how do we get people to chat a bit more? For myself, the internet is all about information, I want to know something about, say a sleeping bag, I can get genuine user reviews [rather than the marketing blurb] and collate until I can make an informed purchase.

Any ideas out there?

As an aside, there's a question in MYOG about converting a sleeping bag to a quilt, 25 comments, 75 000 views??? Is that some sort of glitch in the matrix? Or am I unaware of the the latest trend in sleep arrangements :?
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Improving forum participation

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:39 am

Many of those views could be by people are who not members of this forum. Search MYOG on Google, click a result, decide its not what they want so they close it again.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:40 am

Numbers of views shouldn't be confused with the actual number of members of the forum who saw the topic. First, google searches will get you to this forum. Second, the number of views is increased by 1 even when somebody who already saw the topic checks it again. This forum is a pretty chatty one when it comes to gear, I don't exactly see where is the problem. The only thing that I feel should be added is a "gear review" section with individual categories, but other than that it's fine.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wayno » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:44 am

well there could be an awful lot of people on this forum who are trying to make their own quilts? :mrgreen:
i think what happens is the same people can revisit threads as they are added to if they are following them. so the numbers don't necessarily relfect the ratio of contributors to non contributors.
maybe the admins have better stats as to how many active individuals there actually are visiting the forum and contributing versus those who just read.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Tortoise » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:50 am

I believe the numbers of 'views' went up astronomically when the system (I'm no technoweenie, sorry) changed a few weeks/months ago, due to a 'glitch in the matrix'. There weren't 75,000 views until the change. It was really obvious in 'Where-am-I' - zillions of views and no response.
Not sure of the current status, but i'd be very surprised if it's unrelated.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Haematocrit » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:06 am

I tend to ascribe to the old adage that goes something like "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and remove all doubt" ;)

Additionally, my better half makes more than enough comments both on and off forum for the both of us :)

I admire your enthusiasm, and and think that the idea has merit, but am also wary of encouraging posting for postings sake. Endless plus ones (+1) are about as useful and as inane as facebook "likes". Yeah, i'm a grumpy *&%$#! sometimes.

The threads which seem to encourage the most posts are those with a subject people are passionate about (globalwarmingcanihascheezburgerlolcathuntingultralightloggersoloinnationalparks). But these also often degenerate into circular argument. That is, a high number of replies may initially correlate well with thread value, but this relationship tends to the inverse over time. Quantity is not necessarily quality. Edward Everret may have penned 13000 odd words and spoken for two hours, but its Lincoln's Gettysburg address that resonates 150 years later.

Short and sweet.
Haematocrit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 1:44 pm

the +1's can be helpful when someone wants advice and someone has responded with essentially what you would post, you are reinforcing what they are saying so the original poster can see what one person is saying is reinforced by others , and you're avoid just repeating in words what has already been written.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 1:50 pm

+1 :lol:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 1:55 pm

Haematocrit wrote:Additionally, my better half makes more than enough comments both on and off forum for the both of us :)

I bet I can guess who that is! :lol:
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 3:13 pm

wayno wrote:the +1's can be helpful when someone wants advice and someone has responded with essentially what you would post, you are reinforcing what they are saying so the original poster can see what one person is saying is reinforced by others , and you're avoid just repeating in words what has already been written.

I agree it is good to know that more than one person holds the same opinion, but I reckon reading a post followed by a squillion "+1" s can be a tad tedious.

I don't know if the forum software has the facility for this - but maybe there should be an "I agree" flag or something so you could read a response and see "xx people agree with this post".
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby cooee » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 4:35 pm

Must admit l do alot of reading on here and not a great deal of posting.
When it comes to charity, a lot of people will stop at nothing.
cooee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 4:43 pm

cooee wrote:Must admit l do alot of reading on here and not a great deal of posting.

Would be interesting to know why not?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 4:44 pm

Well I just viewed so I better post.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 4:50 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Well I just viewed so I better post.

about time too :mrgreen:
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:16 pm

Davidf61 wrote:... so far at least there seems to be a level of civility at this site. ...So, how do we get people to chat a bit more?

Since the very beginning this forum, under Nik's (SOB) leadership has tried very hard to remain friendly. I think the leadership team and the moderation team have done a great job (but I guess as an ex-moderator I'm a little bias).

Posts on the forum are dominated by the top twenty posters - who between them have 72,700+ posts or roughly 45% of posts. This has actually been steadily improving because a couple of years back the top 20 posters had more like 75% of all posts. So in other words, participation is steadily increasing and more and more people are starting to login and leave an opinion or ask a question.

IMHO one thing that makes a good forum, and one thing that encourages more participation, is the way first time posters are treated. Most new posters need to be supported and encouraged and not made to feel bad because they asked a repeat question or posted a similar answer. I think around here, mostly that's how it is. I'm glad you found the forum useful and stayed long enough to finally get around to posting. :)
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davo1 » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:26 pm

From a relatively newcomer to the forum as well,I like it just the way it is.
If someone asks a serious question then you get an honest answer.
I like not having to wade through pages of dribble and expert opinions from those that wouldn't have a clue, which is the case in a lot of forums.
Good search facility and useful info, what more more could you really ask for?

I'm one of those that doesn't comment on a lot of posts, especially ones of highly contentious issues. Have a habit of putting my foot in it so it's easier to keep quiet :) .

I am confident the longer you read and view, the more you will come to appreciate what's on offer.

Enjoy.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:36 pm

wT,
309399 of the 72799 visits are related to where am I so does that mean ? around 30% + of visits are related to guessing games :?: :lol:
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Thu 25 Apr, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby walkinTas » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:51 pm

corvus wrote:309399 of the 72799 posts are related to where am I

I should let someone else comment on your maths C. I'll just observe that 309399 is the number of visits, not the number of posts. ;)

Games and competitions are just about adding another point-of-interest. ...but it doesn't matter! It not so important why people visit or why they choose to contribute. For the longevity of the forum, what is important is that new people visit and join and contribute - and feel welcome when they do.

Lurking is good. Please lurk. Contributing is good better best.
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:00 pm

The games account for a bit under a third of the traffic according to walkinTas's post count information. That's pretty impressive. :shock:

It might be a game, but it is also on-topic to share information about bushwalk locations.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Haematocrit » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:01 pm

Strider wrote:
Haematocrit wrote:Additionally, my better half makes more than enough comments both on and off forum for the both of us :)

Ok, in the interest of another point of interest, guess away
Haematocrit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:08 pm

corvus wrote:around 30% + of posts are related to guessing games
photohiker wrote:The games account for a bit under a third of the traffic according to walkinTas's post count information.
Ok, just for clarity - games replies (5594 + 19168) divide total posts (162833) = 15.20%. :D
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:10 pm

That's better. A third sounded very high!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:31 pm

Haematocrit wrote:
Strider wrote:

She joined a few weeks before you? :wink: Welcome to posting, btw.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:51 pm

Haematocrit wrote:
Strider wrote:

Are her initials MD?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 7:15 pm

walkinTas wrote:
corvus wrote:309399 of the 72799 posts are related to where am I

I should let someone else comment on your maths C. I'll just observe that 309399 is the number of visits, not the number of posts. ;)

Games and competitions are just about adding another point-of-interest. ...but it doesn't matter! It not so important why people visit or why they choose to contribute. For the longevity of the forum, what is important is that new people visit and join and contribute - and feel welcome when they do.

Lurking is good. Please lurk. Contributing is good better best.

Sorry wT
I Meant visits (so used to saying posts) :oops:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby andrewa » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 9:24 pm

I'll "view" many posts, but won't bother responding unless I've got something to add ( irrespective of whether this is useful to anyone else)

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby clarence » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 1:36 am

+1 for the job the moderators do and also the way new members are treated on the board. I also agree that +1's reinforce already stated opinions very concisely.

I see no problem with a high ratio of views to posts. Uninformed and poorly reasoned commentary only serve to clog the topic and create an overload of useless information. I will comment (generally) when I feel I can contribute something intelligent and worthwhile to a topic, otherwise I am happy to look.

By the way, welcome to the board Davidf61.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewbish » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 4:58 am

I have a bit to do with social tools in my work. It is typical for forums, chat groups, micro blogging tools (think Twitter), etc to have a single digit percentage of authors/contributors with a large majority of consumers/'lurkers'
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby Nuts » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 9:07 am

Haha good early postings David (amusing the topics that 'take-off'). I'm not sure we can do much to increase participation (to trump wTas legacy especially), but i'm sure the other guys are always (mostly..still..) interested in any ideas. Perhaps one factor being that some people baulk when the 'locals' are quick to reply to topics? (even if probably holding the forum together)(sure its much more complex than that.. just one thought)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:29 am

A lot of the time I lurk. Sometime I comment. But only when I have something useful to contribute. At the moment I don't. So I will exit this discussion
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Forum & Site