Advertising Freelance services within parks (& moderation)

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Re: Advertising Freelance services within parks (& moderatio

Postby stepbystep » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:35 am

andrewbish wrote:Thanks. Yes, (c) is interesting for this forum though the vast majority of nature photo buffs here will be (rank, in my case :) ) amateurs.

Commercial photographers, videographers and filmakers need to get either permission or a permit from PWS here in Tasmania. I have needed to either pay a small fee or been allowed to film free of charge. It all depends on the project and who the client is.
There is a grey zone for photographers, for example if we go bushwalking and taking photos with no intention of making any money, come home and have a nice photo that people want to pay for it is best to contact PWS and let them know what is going on. I have done this with video footage and due to the limited quantity I was using on a low budget corporate video they waived the fee.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Porter in South Eastern Australia

Postby tastrax » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 5:37 pm

andrewbish wrote:I had a quick look online but couldn't find anything on regulations regarding guiding and portering in national parks. Can anyone direct me to a link? It would be good to get the source, if it's freely available.

Andrew

http://parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=15413 - operating a business on reserved land
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Mar, 2013 10:06 am

So I was wrong, parks do support the regulations for photography here. All good info.
Thanks also tastrax, looks like an easy enough process :) I think the fee should include the required paddle as well? :P
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 11 Mar, 2013 10:18 am

Being a past and likely future permit holder for STILLS photography in Parks managed land (not just National Parks), I am aware of the requirements and costs associated with this sort of photography.

Start here -
http://parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=924
Then have a read of the guidelines.
http://parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=927

For peace of mind to all you photographers out there that submit a photo that ends up for sale in a calendar on this forum (or anywhere else), see this -
3. Stills Photography

Stills photography which is associated with an advertising agency or is for advertising use, will require approval and a fee will be charged (see schedule of fees). All other still photography will not require approval.

I can take any photo I like of nature stuff and sell it anywhere for any cost, no permit required. If I sell that image to an advertising company who are going to use the image to overlay products for sale, a permit WOULD be required.
But if I want to take a photo of a piece of bushwalking related equipment with a view to selling that image for advertising (say to a company), I would need liability insurance, and I would need to go through the registration process on the above link.

That's why some companies out there do not employ photographers to take photos of equipment being used, but rather allow the public to send in their own private images, perhaps for a small reward of credit with that brand if the image is used.

Another scenario, if I took a photo of Cradle Mountain just as a natural photo, I cannot sell that photo to a company that would photoshop or overlay other things over it with a view to advertising.

I've noticed on facebook someone doing Overland Track photography tours. While they may not need a filming permit, I would think that they have the other permits required for running organised tours through the park, or they would be in a lot of trouble. I wonder what liability insurance would cost for such a trip... Their website does say "Our Tours are commercially licensed and supported by Tasmania Parks & Wildlife Services" so all good there.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Robparsons » Tue 22 Aug, 2023 9:48 pm

well how fascinating..
Robparsons
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby Robparsons » Tue 22 Aug, 2023 9:50 pm

When did PWS remove all this relevant information from their website? It sure makes things hard to decipher..
Robparsons
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby Scrambler » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 2:40 am

https://www.legislation.tas.gov.au/view ... t-2002-062

Laws might be quoted in part on the Department website, but the whole Law will be under a Laws site, in every State and the Commonwealth. Nothing in this thread indicates information was on the PWS website, the quote a decade ago is from Legislation and is referenced as such.

If using these legal sites, it is helpful to also check for Regulations, which may also apply.
Scrambler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Forum & Site