Go to first unread

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Go to first unread

Postby neilmny » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 4:18 pm

Does this forum have a go to first unread function?
A lot do and it is very handy to be able to click a link and go directly to the first unread post.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Go to first unread

Postby MickyB » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 4:35 pm

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Neil.

Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 4:57 pm

Not really Micky the function is you click on a thread link and it takes you directly to your first unread post in that thread.
Which might be the first post if you haven't read that thread or the two hundred and fifty first if you have read 250 post in that thread.
It also works when you click an emailed notification of new posts.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 5:50 pm

On a computer:
1. Click "View Unread Posts" as MickyB said.
2. On the individual post, click on the little rectangular "Page" icon and you get taken straight to the first unread post within that thread. I have my browser set up so that I click the scroll wheel and the first unread post opens in a new tab.

On mobile:
1. Click the magnifying glass.
2. Click "View Unread Posts".
3. On an individual post, click the right-pointing arrow button (actually you can click pretty much anywhere and it works the same).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby neilmny » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:44 pm

ribuck wrote:On a computer:
1. Click "View Unread Posts" as MickyB said.
2. On the individual post, click on the little rectangular "Page" icon and you get taken straight to the first unread post within that thread. I have my browser set up so that I click the scroll wheel and the first unread post opens in a new tab.

That didn't work. It just took me to the top of the particular "page" icon's page.
An hour ago I marked the entire forum read. This method took me to a post made on 31st May. It would have been a read post as I had marked all read late this afternoon.
This is also a 2 click (at least) method. The method on another "winter" forum and a "model aircraft" forum takes you from email direct to unread or from thread link to unread in one click you do not have to select a thread link (from email link) or a page (provided your logged in). Unread posts also have a "new" tag on each post so you don't have to hunt for where you left off.

I guess the short answer is this forum structure (software?) doesn't have the function but thanks for the replies anyway.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 8:40 pm

Have you tried searching this way:
Code: Select all
http://bushwalk.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

This searches for threads that have new posts since the last time you visited. After the list is returned you just click on the little box thing next to the thread title and it will take you to the first unread.

To make this even more useful create a bookmark and add the above code as the location for the bookmark. Works well for me.

Hope this helps,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 4:58 am

Nice one Michael thanks for that.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 6:19 am

neilmny wrote:
ribuck wrote:That didn't work. It just took me to the top of the particular "page" icon's page.

Sorry, not that icon. The icon on the individual post's line on the "Show Unread Posts" page. It's a small rectangle with a tiny arrow. I was wrong to call it a "page" icon, but it's very similar to the actual "page" icon.

This forum does have the functionality you seek, and it works very well once you find the right place to click.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby neilmny » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:31 am

Got it.......on computer its a link called "First unread post" at the right hand side just above the colour panel of the first post.
That combined with Michael suggestion short circuits some of the clicking :)
Thanks ribuck.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 4:09 pm

Just to make it perfectly clear to anybody else who comes along to read this topic...

Any view of the forums where you see a list of topics, if there are unread posts, there is a dot on the icon AND there is a little page icon next to the topic icon (between the topic icon and the topic title). Clicking on that little page icon, just to the left of the topic title will take you to the first unread post in that topic.

The attached image (below) has this circled in one of the topic listings, and you can see it there for some of the others.

There are several views in which you can see this. Others have already pointed out the new posts view. I usually use the 'Active Topics' view (link near the top of the page on the main index view). You also get the same icon available in any forum's topic listing or anywhere else where topics (threads) are listed.

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 4:59 pm

Ah that little page icon....thanks for that Son of a Beach.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 7:02 am

I'd never even noticed that little page icon. Nice to know.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 11:27 am

Another tip....I've noticed that the unread posts have a red block icon next to the by xxxxxxx (who ever the poster was).
Sure we can all remember what we have read but this is another quick indicator of unread posts marker.

Having looked more closely it's a red, dog eared page icon :oops:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Forum & Site