Indoor action?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Indoor action?

Postby puredingo » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 3:48 pm

Apart from being outdoors which is my favourite place to be my second choice is, ironically, being Indoors...specifically watching movies.

Particulary action/adventure. Number 1 on the list would be "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins/Alec Baldwin. Excellent scenary, acting and wildlife shots.

What's yours?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Indoor action?

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 4:01 pm

TV series for me. Something with alot of violence, sex scenes/references, and explicit language, like Spartacus, The Game of Thrones, Rome, Louie CK.......
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 8:46 pm

"Jeramiha Johnson" is another good one with a good bit of real history behind it, set in the rocky mountains.

Not that anybody seems to care, but hey i talk to myself all day while walking through the bush so no reason why i can't do it on the puter too?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:32 am

puredingo wrote:Apart from being outdoors which is my favourite place to be my second choice is, ironically, being Indoors...specifically watching movies.

Particulary action/adventure. Number 1 on the list would be "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins/Alec Baldwin. Excellent scenary, acting and wildlife shots.

What's yours?

Same, prefer like action/adventure and/or movies with a local and/or historical flavour. Also mystery/thriller, sci-fi adventure, some less gory horror flicks and some comedy. Even a few movies that some may consider a bit trashy. Some films I've watched in the recent past -
The Tunnel (excellent), set in disused parts of Sydney CBD's railway tunnels, similar to Paranormal Activity.
Tomorrow, When the War Began. Not bad.
Beneath Hill 60. I'm not particularly into war movies but found this quite compelling.
Monkey Puzzle. Mainly for the familiar Blue Mountains bushwalking locations. I think Dargans Creek Canyon and a few spots around Blackheath were used.

The Edge - love it, watched it many times. The line "fire and ice", the home made compass, and the bear gets me every time. Not to mention Elle Macpherson :).
Another favourite is Vertical Limit (yes I know it's not a serious or accurate climbing film :wink:)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 7:45 am

Topic moved to "Between Walks" forum. Please take care to post new topics to the correct forum.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby WarrenH » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 11:50 am

johnw wrote:Monkey Puzzle. Mainly for the familiar Blue Mountains bushwalking locations. I think Dargans Creek Canyon and a few spots around Blackheath were used.

John, G'day.

In Monkey Puzzel, there is a magnificent scene, that shows the party when they first start walking across the heathland toward the gorge. Do you know where that was shot? I'd love to see that scene in real life. That scene is so beautiful I'd really like to experience it from right where the cinematographer had the camera positioned and watch the light come and go for days. I could watch that scene in the film a dozen times or more and I'd enjoy it more each time.

Thanks in anticipation.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 1:42 pm

WarrenH wrote:John, G'day.

In Monkey Puzzel, there is a magnificent scene, that shows the party when they first start walking across the heathland toward the gorge. Do you know where that was shot? I'd love to see that scene in real life. That scene is so beautiful I'd really like to experience it from right where the cinematographer had the camera positioned and watch the light come and go for days. I could watch that scene in the film a dozen times or more and I'd enjoy it more each time.

Thanks in anticipation.

Warren.

Hi Warren,
I will have to re-watch it to be certain, but from your description, I think it may be the track from the end of the Mt Hay Road that leads to a few different places on the edge of the Grose Valley, including up onto Mt Hay and beyond. Ironically I will be camped down in the Grose this weekend for 2 nights and not back until Monday night. If I get a chance tonight I will have a look at the footage, but since I'm still only half packed it might be early next week. A bit of research I did some time ago reported these locations for the movie (Dargans Creek is one I haven't visited but is on my to do list):

From http://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/news/local/news/general/aussie-film-set-for-world-premiere-at-katoomba/1340127.aspx

"Shot in locations including Mount Hay, Govetts Leap, Anvil Rock and Dargans Creek, the movie’s inspiration came partly from the director’s own bushwalking experiences."
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 5:30 pm

John, thank you. When you get a chance to look at the film again, if you can work it out, that would be good.

Have a good trip and I hope the temp doesn't get too high out in the bush over the next few days.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby Drifting » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 5:54 pm

I can't choose:

Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Apocalypse Now
Kickass
Last of the Mohicans
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby johnw » Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:21 am

WarrenH wrote:John, thank you. When you get a chance to look at the film again, if you can work it out, that would be good.

Have a good trip and I hope the temp doesn't get too high out in the bush over the next few days.

Warren.

Warren, thanks. It was a bit wet and humid with plenty of scrub and mozzie bites but still a good trip. A few dips in the Grose R. were appreciated.
I reviewed the opening footage of Monkey Puzzle. Definitely the start of the Mt Hay/Butterbox Point Track. It branches right and left to each of those places over the hill in that scene. Also leads to Butterbox (Mt Hay) Canyon. That heathland is alive with wildflowers around mid-spring. Easy walking leads to spectacular views over the Grose Valley from several spots. I will get around to posting a few shots from a spring walk I did there a few years back.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Wed 29 Feb, 2012 9:19 am

I'm definitely going to have to check this Monkeypuzzle out. I'd thought I have seen every Aussie movie made and although the title rings a faint bell I can't recall seeing it. Is a good film besides the familiarity of the scenery?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WarrenH » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 5:39 am

John, thank you for going to the trouble of checking on the location. Good stuff. I'd like to see your photos of the area. I haven't been on the Mount Hay side of the gorge.

puredingo wrote:Is a good film besides the familiarity of the scenery?

Is it a good film? It is. The film is about the dysfunctions of a group of walkers on a journey into the bush to celebrate the life of a person that the group knew, while searching for the Wollomi Pine's location ... using the portal of Mount Hay. The film started well. Thanks to JohnW's excellent location spotting.

It is an interesting film about people with issues, who should not have gone into the bush. Failing to care for their resources, failing to pay attention to details and having a serious lack of self preservation made for a film that became a bushwalking nightmare. The film certainly portrays the ambiance of a seriously difficult time in the bush.

I'm guessing most will not warm to any of the characters or feel that they wanted to join them on their walk once they left Mount Hay ... and now I fully appreciate why Wally World should stay at home. Fatten-up on fast food. Sit on the couch in their underpants and learn all about the world from Fox Sports ... and Nat Geo's histrionics channel.

This movie uncannily has similarities with the antics of the dysfunctional Gillard Government and highlights the self-destruction of the party and the self-righteous and preciousness of a wranger ... who cant be told anything and how her rigidly held misguided principles, got in the way of her survival.

Warren.
WarrenH

Return to Between Bushwalks