I shouldnt be alive Lincoln Hall

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

I shouldnt be alive Lincoln Hall

Postby wayno » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 10:06 am

I watched the episode on lincoln Hall surviving a night out on Everest
very interesting program regarding the events and very candid comments from Lincoln giving an honest and open commentary about how the experience went for him, good reconstruction, using some special effects to recrate the scale of the environment.

it also seemed to be a product placement ad for mountain equipment, at at least one point I noticed they blured the brand name of a rival product.
there was a mountain hardware tent in there as well... I take it Lincoln used mountain equipment for his ascent? or did some company buy the rights to get their gear in the programme?
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: I shouldnt be alive Lincoln Hall

Postby stepbystep » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 11:09 am

wayno wrote:I watched the episode on lincoln Hall surviving a night out on Everest
very interesting program regarding the events and very candid comments from Lincoln giving an honest and open commentary about how the experience went for him, good reconstruction, using some special effects to recrate the scale of the environment.

it also seemed to be a product placement ad for mountain equipment, at at least one point I noticed they blured the brand name of a rival product.
there was a mountain hardware tent in there as well... I take it Lincoln used mountain equipment for his ascent? or did some company buy the rights to get their gear in the programme?

Good luck to him! Have you got any idea how hard it is to fund a documentary or tv series???
As you said it's a great story and a well made program, one that you more than likely would never have seen if it wasn't for the support of one or many sponsors.....
Last edited by stepbystep on Wed 01 Feb, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 11:31 am

stepbystep wrote:Good luck to him! Have you got any idea how hard it is to fund a documentary or tv series???

Just needs more T&A, obviously. Someone should make an outdoors documentary series that takes queues from Spartacus: Blood and Sand, or True Blood. I'm sure it would do well.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby pazzar » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 8:36 pm

You should read his book, Dead Lucky. Quite an intense read. I believe that most of his sleeping equipment was mountain hardwear, downsuit was a mountain designs Aurora, and I'm not sure who he used for climbing equipment. The gear is often supplied by the expedition team. As he was only initially assisting a 17 yo to climb to the top, it is likely that he used that expedition companies gear.

His story goes to show that unless you are killed instantly in an accident, there is always hope. A great encouragement! Can't say it makes me more keen to go up Everest though....
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Thu 02 Feb, 2012 4:28 am

once you're over forty the mortality stats for high altitude climbing get worse...
I kow a 60yo who got to 8500m on everest but he was right at his limit, had to run back because of high wind, could have been his saviour. his descent was an epic of struggling to stay coordinated enough to get back to he north col. if he hadnt have been roped in he would have fallen to his death...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Rob A » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 10:34 pm

Rob Hall stayed. Dont know what you could possibly say about his decision. Respect the man. Who else would have stayed.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to Between Bushwalks