Hawkins river - 1982 doco on Franklin

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Hawkins river - 1982 doco on Franklin

Postby cdg » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 5:20 pm

Last night i taped a 1982 documentary on the Hawkins River and the Franklin river anti-dam campaign. There was some outstanding footage of very early kayaking down the river, using some very primitive equipment. I cant imagine how dense that bush is, but at one point they destroyed their canoes and decided to walk overland, and gave up and spent two days walking back up the river. Amazing.

It was made in 1982, by Tasmanian Television and used footage from Dr Hawkins shot in the 50's through to the 80's. Lots of interviews as well. there was a look at the Hydro and politics, and the nascent anti-dams movement.

I tape as many docos as possible from the new digital channels, there are some real gems in there. They dont name them well in the TV guides, and this one was just listed as 'The World Around Us'.
cdg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Hawkins river - 1982 doco on Franklin

Postby RoRo » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 9:32 am

Gday mate...

Hows things?

Just wondering if its possible to grab a copy of Hawkins rivers at all?

It would be greatly appreciated. Happy to fling you a few $$

Cheers

Ro / 0418610106 :-)
RoRo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hawkins river - 1982 doco on Franklin

Postby Nuts » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 7:18 pm

After this prompt then again forgetting all about this these many years a friend taped it recently and we just watched last night. It's really notable for the camerawork, especially of their early exploits/ the sense of exploration on the Franklin River with John Dean & party in the 50's/attempts at exploring and then surviving such remote places /woodcraft and fibreglass iirc it was 'Hawkins Rivers' (?) Well worth following up.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Between Bushwalks