Rainy Day Reading

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Rainy Day Reading

Postby Liamy77 » Sat 07 May, 2011 8:20 am

robin hobb/ megan lindholm, r. feist, f. herbert, tolkein.... fantasy buff me?!.... well yup!
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Postby tsangpo » Mon 09 May, 2011 9:43 am

I got an ebook reader a few months ago so am working my way through all the free classics. Jack London, R L Stevenson, Moby Dick all come to mind as good authors/books to read while stuck in a tent. Poe and Lovecraft not so much.
tsangpo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby mjdalessa » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:34 am

Some of my favourites include:
The Histories of Herodotus (Most epic book in history, takes you back to an unfamiliar world. Humorous in places too.)
Catcher in the Rye (Cult classic. Crude, but with sneaky underlying themes. Almost anyone can relate to this coming of age narrative.)
Nietsche extracts. (If you've never read any of his work, try it. Philosophy presented through articulate and poetic short stories.)
Through the Hidden Door by Rosemary Wells (Your childhood dream.)

The poems of Robert Louis Stevenson are Good too. My favourite is Armies in the Fire.
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby pazzar » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 12:25 pm

I like a good classic - Bukowski, Orwell, Kerouac etc. I have been known to take the odd crime/terrorist novel, I'm a bit of a Ludlum fan.

For nostalgia I read Richard Flanagan, I love the way he connects with the inner Tasmanian, and his connection with the history, it really feels like you could know the characters. Being able to familiarise yourself with the settings is great.

And if I am in the most horrible conditions and I feel like the world is about to end, I find The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy most comforting. The words 'DON'T PANIC' written on the sides help me through the worst of times!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 11:34 am

The first that came to my mind is the 1964 book "Four Against Everest" which I found in a bookstore throwout table for 20c in about 1968. It was a cheap paperback edition, and was one of my sources of inspiration to "get out there." It went bush with me for re-reading over many years, until it fell apart. It is an amazing story of how four Americans made an illegal lightweight attempt on Mt Everest in 1962 in comparison to the efforts of the time that used an army of sherpas and oxygen and took "forever". The final chapter documented all their planning, preparation, equipment, food etc complete with weights of every item. Their focus on understanding all the risks but "being prepared" still stirs my blood and makes me want to set challenges for myself that take me out of my comfort zone . If anyone is interested in this story, here's a link with further information http://www.4everest.org/sayre/1962.html
4AgainstEverest.jpeg
4AgainstEverest.jpeg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyfisher » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 9:09 pm

Fascinating story there Ian, thanks for the link. :D

John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks