Tarkine Mine

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Tarkine Mine

Postby Eott » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 10:26 am

I would just like to bring to people's attention that Tasmania Magnisite , a wholly owened subsidary of Beacon Hill Resources, is holding an information session in the Yolla Hall this Saturday [ 12/2/2011] .
They hold a mining lease in the Arthur River area and I understand they are about to commence a drilling program. Reading on their website they have a deposit of of 39 million , two thirds of which is inferred so I guess the drilling program is to confirm the magnitude of the ore body. They expect to commence mining in late 2012. A mine would certainly be of economic benefit to the local economy which I would applaud , but I'm concerned about the enviromental impact. The footprint of a mine is relatively small but their impact on waterways would be of concern to me, they note on their website that the Federal Minister allowed the temporary World Heritage Listing to lapse. I'll be going along to find out what they plan to do and just thought I would post this to inform others of the opportunity.

Mark
"if you think can or think you can't you're probably right"
Eott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tarkine Mine

Postby GerryDuke » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks Mark.

This topic was discussed here when the Tarkine loop road was first proposed.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=825&p=15648&hilit=LYONS#p15648

Are we talking about these caves?

GerryDuke wrote:Another dimension to the controversy is the existence of Magnesium Caves in the Lyons - Arthur River area. I don't know how current these links are!

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:db ... cd=4&gl=au

http://www.acfonline.org.au/news.asp?news_id=412
Cave Systems - about 2/3rds of the way down the page!

GD

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site
Region: Tasmania

Return to Between Bushwalks