Possible move to Hobart?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Possible move to Hobart?

Postby Steve73 » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:07 am

Beeper wrote:I live out near Richmond 25km from Hobart, small acreage with a great lifestyle. If you go south of Hobart its cooler and wetter, and in the hills around Mt Wellington. East of Hobart is milder and drier. If you buy land with the intention of building, make sure you get one that is east/north facing, the sun in winter makes a real difference to home heating and preferably one with a view. The one thing I hate about Tassy is the wind, I can handle cold and hot weather, but not the blustery wind, its probably why alot of Taswegians hibernate over winter. If you like the outdoors and activities, Tassy is a great place, and there are so many places you can access within a few hours drive. There is no real traffic problem only the occasional hickup, no toll roads either.

Thanks Beeper, some good info there.

We are definitely outdoors people which is part of the reason we want to get out of Sydney. Regarding the wind, is this more a winter thing or all year round?

I doubt traffic will be a problem for us after living in Sydney our whole lives. The traffic up here is a disgrace and will only get worse due to government ineptness. The population keeps increasing but they don't spend anything on public transport, just toll roads. It costs a mate of mine $20 each day to get to and from work just on tolls. Factor in parking costs and petrol and he's spending around $200 per week, crazy.
Steve73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Beeper » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 7:43 pm

The wind can be anytime but is more pronounced around winter and equinox times, that said anywhere in Oz is going to have a weather nuisance, ie too hot, too humid, too wet, too dry etc. The point is, consider carefully the aspect where you are going to buy or build a house. If you're settled on the Huon and Channel areas there are many options to find decent property. If you have children, they will probably really really enjoy the change to a more settled lifestyle. We get alot of Sydney refugees in Tas.

Traffic and parking, it takes me 40 minutes from leaving home to arriving at work (with a walk) and I park for free. The occassional traffic problem can add another 30 minutes to that.

The other problem with Tas is employment, it can be difficult to get, but like anywhere if you have skills that are in demand, you'll find work.
Beeper
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby ninjapuppet » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 8:37 pm

Beeper wrote:............ and I park for free.

I had a 3 hour seminar at Sydney's circular quay last Tuesday. Drove into the carpark and sign read: :shock: $32.50/hour
most CBD carparks isnt that bad, but seriously, $32.50? Makes everyone want to move out of sydney if this is where things are headed
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Liamy77 » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 7:40 pm

funny 'cause a lot of tasmanians move to QLD for the heat...
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby tasadam » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 10:09 pm

ninjapuppet wrote:
Beeper wrote:............ and I park for free.

I had a 3 hour seminar at Sydney's circular quay last Tuesday. Drove into the carpark and sign read: :shock: $32.50/hour
most CBD carparks isnt that bad, but seriously, $32.50? Makes everyone want to move out of sydney if this is where things are headed

I think an expired meter is less than that where I live.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 3:19 am

Yep. $25 for parking without paying in Hobart.

Seriously, Sydney has it's head up its backside!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Steve73 » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 3:36 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yep. $25 for parking without paying in Hobart.

Seriously, Sydney has it's head up its backside!

I agree.

Last week I had a bad stack whilst cycling to work. Anyway I came off hard and was probably travelling at ~40km (downhill). I was lying under my bike on the side of the road for a good minute, blood all over my leg and seeping through my shirt and shorts. Now keeping in mind that this was peak hour in Sydney so there were literally hundreds of cars passing me....not ONE car stopped whilst I was on the ground under my bike to see if I was OK. This is typical of Sydney and was the last straw for me.

My wife and I are very excited about our trip down to the Huon Valley in a couple of weeks to suss out some land and to get a general feel for the area.
Steve73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Beeper » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 7:05 pm

Thats pathetic, you could of been dying in the ditch.

Come on down, you won't get that sort of ultra-selfish f**k you attitude in Tas.
Beeper
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 7:36 pm

Did you see those reality TV shows that show real footage from surveillance cameras in the USA? Someone is being mugged, someone else steps in to try and help, and gets stabbed. Laying on the footpath slowly dying, through the course of an hour several people took a look, one person even comes by and takes a photo, several cars go by, yet an hour and no one can ring an ambulance or anything, and this person dies. The follow up report reveals there have been a number of reports of similar events.
Seems the more people you get in the one place, the less friendly the place becomes. Makes you ashamed to be human.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 8:36 am

it's been scientifically/psychologically labelled the "bystander effect"
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 12:19 pm

Yep that's very sad.
Big cities are certainly ugly places.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 3:57 pm

tasadam wrote:Did you see those reality TV shows that show real footage from surveillance cameras in the USA?
So exactly what is the purpose of the surveillance camera? Camera's everywhere and you can still lie in the street for an hour? Who is watching????? Where is this "big brother" who is suppose to be watching?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Steve73 » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:22 pm

Well my wife and I spent five days down in the channel/Huon Valley areas last week and just absolutely love it. The good news is that my wife is now keen to make the move after our trip, she's over Sydney as well and just needed a gentle push.

Personally my first choice would be down the channel but from what we saw it's a bit pricey for us. Anyway the Huon Valley is still spectacular so we'll probably concentrate our search around there, Cradoc and Franklin were lovely.

The people are so friendly, everyone is happy to have a chat unlike here in Sydney where everyone is always in a rush.
Steve73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:46 pm

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it Steve.

Let us know when your moving so we can officially welcome you aboard ;-)
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Steve73 » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 1:01 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Pleased to hear you enjoyed it Steve.

Let us know when your moving so we can officially welcome you aboard ;-)

Thanks, will do. With the wife at Uni next year I'd say we're two years away. At least it's something to look forward to.
Steve73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks