Washing machine discussion [split from topic Icebreaker rang

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Washing machine discussion [split from topic Icebreaker rang

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 7:43 am

Split from discussion on Icebreaker range.

ollster wrote:Got a few of the tshirts too, and have noticed they end up with "mystery" holes.

Son of a Beach wrote:Agreed, ollster. My wife's 6 month old merino-wool thermal leggings have holes in them already, and she's done nothing with them that would lead to any abrasion.

Holes in washing (laundry)
There appears to be a problem with many washing machines routinely “causing” small holes in laundry. Judging from the correspondence I’ve received so far it is happening to a lot of people, with different makes of washing machine and with various drum sizes and spin speeds. Therefore, finding a pattern and identifying a definite cause is proving difficult. However, almost everyone is blaming the washing machine.
And on it goes for over a considerable amount of speed reading... Many peoples experiences with holes appearing. Serious reading if you are interested.

Here's an interesting look at things...
http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefi ... benefit=52
Yes, our washing machine has a 4 digit price tag starting in a 2, but we don't get holes any more.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Re: Icebreaker range!

Postby ollster » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 7:49 am

tasadam wrote:Yes, our washing machine has a 4 digit price tag starting in a 2, but we don't get holes any more.

Front loading?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 8:15 am

ollster wrote:
tasadam wrote:Front loading?

Yes. Far be it for me to get excited about a home appliance, but it really is GOOD!
http://www.kitchenthings.net.nz/catalogue.html?pid=415
http://www.wholesalejoinery.com/winning ... icWash.pdf
That model was discontinued, so we got it a cheaper price. Over $1000 cheaper.
It's got a hygiene / allergy feature we don't use, otherwise it's the same as some of the higher end Miele stuff.
Built solid too, weighs nearly 100 kg's. And you can open the door and lift the front of the machine by the door, so strong is the construction. They demonstrated it in the shop (we didn't get the demo one)...
Spin speed up to 1600 rpm, temp from cold up to 95 degrees... And it's quiet! Really quiet... Crikey, I'm beginning to sound like it excites me......
Oh, I see... Coffee time!

Before I go, sorry for contaminating this topic, but a warning to all - do NOT buy one of these -
http://www.productreview.com.au/showite ... m_id=16501
We ended up getting a full refund after 6 months. Lucky, nearly blew $1000 because it was useless. How do you think I know about holes in washing? That's nothing compared to the lint that was always left behind. Aquasmart? AquaDUMB!!! (OOh, I see I'm still bitter, I'm not over it yet. More therapy coffee.)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Ent » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 8:28 am

Hi Adam

Due to living in two spots I have two Melle washing machines. The first was quiet as a mouse until one day it went out of balance and walked two feet with a large dent in the casing going outwards :shock: The second is a washer and dryer. Sounds shocking on spin and I was told that was normal. Also normal for the drying cycle not to work sometimes? Switched it off and switch it on and it will works fine. Appears not to enjoy being left on.

Both do an excellent job washing but not so sure about the much vaulted reliability and quietness features. Could have a bad one, but two :? Not so sure if I would get another Melle appliance as very expensive and not as good as the reports lead you to believe.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 8:40 am

Brett wrote:Appears not to enjoy being left on.
Maybe the electronics gets upset, do you use a power filter?
Yeah, I know, shouldn't need to... But you do.
As for out of balance like that, sounds nasty.
We've had ours over a year now and it's flawless.

I have to add, I did a lot of googling before convincing myself to spend so much on an appliance when you can get something to do similar tasks for less than half the price, but I feel it was the right thing to do. 20 years on and I will of course know for sure, that's how long they're supposed to last.

Thinking about a topic split to "between walks, washing machines..."
Edit - done.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Re: Washing machine discussion [split from topic Icebreaker

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:07 am

Recently bought a pair, washer/dryer. Ariston, ^&%^&% expensive! Didnt really want to spend so much but somehow let myself be convinced that a machiene lasting 30yrs instead of 10 or 20 (something to do with cast iron rather than concrete ballast) was worth the investment (they even squeezed more for a seven year warranty). Some of the programmed cycles though were more the selling point. The really gentle cycles will be seeing some sleeping bags soon. Mucking around in the bathtub (massaging a wet sleeping bag) isnt my idea of fun.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:55 am

Not being made of money like Adam, :) we bought the Siemens equivalent of the Miele. Its good for 8kg where the Miele is a titchy 6.5kg haha.

Does the 1600 spin etc, even has a program for proofing outdoor gear. Put techwash in one dispenser and the wash-in DWR stuff in the other and it just does the whole job in one wash. How could I resist? :)

Cost was a little over half Miele at about $2200. It's a ripper :D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm

photohiker wrote:Cost was a little over half Miele at about $2200. It's a ripper :D

Made of money? Nah, you got that wrong...
I spent a little over $100 more than you. Bargain!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby photohiker » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm

tasadam wrote:I spent a little over $100 more than you. Bargain!

You did very well then. When we were looking you couldn't get a fast spin Miele under $3500 and the machine they wanted to sell was over $4k!

Didn't spend a lot of time hunting though, as the old klunker had died a horrible death and we had visitors...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 1:54 pm

Um?

Nuts the brand you mentiond copped a battering on the reliability stakes but then the ones I brought rated highly so maybe it is the luck of the draw on what you experience.

The Meile washer/dryer has a neat outerwear cycle that appears to do Gore-tex to a treat. The thing spins to 1600 RPM but sounds like something is breaking big time. Adam, no power filter but maybe that might be needed. As for the straight washer I was wrapped in it until the huge dent appeared. The claimed out of balance system just does not work. I might write to Meile over both and see if the much vaulted service is as good as claimed. The Bosh dryer I have is near perfect but wish it had the stainless steel rather than plastic bits in it as apparently it is when the plastic gets nicked then the gentler fabrics get cut. Must admit I feel in love with the condensor type dryer, so much nicer than the style that needs venting.

It is an interesting experience the speed of the Meiles in a wash cycle and especially wash and dry taking three and half hours :shock:

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 3:06 pm

lol, my manual said little besides 'the wash time will be displayed on the screen'. It said to give it a dry run on setting 1. I flicked to setting 1, pressed start and sure enough 2.30 popped up. I was doing other things and it was 4 minutes when i got back (expecting the cycle to have finished). The display read 2.26....

Yeah, i didn't do a lot of research, dont know why (usually do). Perhaps it was good that i went for the extended warranty? I imagine that it will have been given a good workout by then!!
They were on sale and i managed to get them a bit cheaper still. Not as expensive as Adams (but 7.5kg)..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks