Temptation of the Apple

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Temptation of the Apple

Postby flatfoot » Mon 10 May, 2010 10:51 pm

I know my dollars should have gone towards some better wet-weather gear, however instead I lusted after the iPad.

Does anyone here confess to ordering one today?

I was up at midnight last night and set my alarm for the wee hours of the morning. I woke for one alarm but the AU Apple store was a bit slow in going back online. I ordered the WiFi + 3G 16gig at 5:30am this morning.

I think I will go with a Telstra prepaid sim due to the great coverage their network offers (and the plans seem like reasonable value). When the iPhone HD hits the streets I also think will will switch from optus to telstra for the same reasons. That will also allow me to tether my iPad to the iPhone's data plan in the months I don't expect to be topping up the prepaid sim.

(please use this thread to discuss any and all Apple product lust)
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Temptation of the Apple

Postby flatfoot » Sat 15 May, 2010 1:32 pm

iPad-compatible travel clothing

For those of you that want to take your ipad travelling :lol:

http://www.scottevest.com/company/ipad.shtml

I'm not that sure that this clothing could be regarded as suitable for bushwalking. Is the iPad sweat-proof?

T-minus 13 sleeps until my iPad is delivered :)
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby Maelgwn » Sun 16 May, 2010 2:16 pm

Personally I do have a semi lust over an iPhone. But really am more interested in a Hilleberg.

For me, I don't see the point of an iPad. It wont replace my phone and it wont replace my computer. And I nearly never need a laptop. Don't really have much use for a reader out of the house and I have a computer to read things on at home. And would likely the find the capabilities of an iPad travelling too limiting, the photo importing would be quite restrictive and anywhere interesting to go in Aus doesn't have Wifi everywhere. Leaves me with nearly no lust!

An apple cinema display on the other hand ... :)
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Temptation of the Apple

Postby flatfoot » Sun 16 May, 2010 4:06 pm

I'll mainly use the iPad at home for reading news online in a more comfortable and convenient way. I haven't bought a newspaper for years. I'm also tempted to go for ebooks and magazines (if the price is right).

I see the iPad as an alternative to a laptop when travelling. For me I think it will be less fuss than a laptop and more convenient.

I actually think my next fully-fledged computer will be a Mac mini. I've had a MacBook for the last few years.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby Macca81 » Mon 17 May, 2010 10:43 am

for a small laptop, id go for an eeepc from asus. for a phone id go an iphone or nexus phone. the ipad, just seems to be lost in between laptop and phone, without successfully replacing either... i feel that it is trying to fit a niche that doesn't actually exist and that only applegeeks will find a use for (clearly, flatfoot is one of these applegeeks ;) lol ).

im not a fan...
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife
Region: Tasmania

Postby flatfoot » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 7:59 am

So who wants the new iPhone?

I think it will be great for BitMap.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby dancier » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 9:54 am

Macca81 wrote:for a small laptop, id go for an eeepc from asus. for a phone id go an iphone or nexus phone. the ipad, just seems to be lost in between laptop and phone, without successfully replacing either... i feel that it is trying to fit a niche that doesn't actually exist and that only applegeeks will find a use for (clearly, flatfoot is one of these applegeeks ;) lol ).

im not a fan...

The tables have been around for awhile but they haven't caught on and no doubt they'll be like the net-books. When Asus released the eeepc some thought they were mad but look now, the tablet will go down the same road. The way I see it, Apple has made a product that can use the full power of what the Adobe design suite can produce and probably more. The Ipad has a long way to go in design terms but so do the media market that supply content. When the media market and manufactures get it together then I'd buy one.
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby flatfoot » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 5:10 pm

It will be interesting to see how the news ltd and fairfax experiments with pay wall content will go. I expect the pricing will scare off many.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby dancier » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 11:00 pm

Recently watched a program about online news and why they need to charge for content. It mainly covered the American newspapers but the Australian was involved and they will start charging soon or maybe they do now. In a nutshell, print media sales are decreasing because of online content and so is revenue from advertising so they need to recoup the loss by selling online content so they can pay for good journalism etc etc. I'd have no hesitation in paying for good online content.
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby flatfoot » Wed 09 Jun, 2010 8:07 am

dancier wrote:Recently watched a program about online news and why they need to charge for content. It mainly covered the American newspapers but the Australian was involved and they will start charging soon or maybe they do now. In a nutshell, print media sales are decreasing because of online content and so is revenue from advertising so they need to recoup the loss by selling online content so they can pay for good journalism etc etc. I'd have no hesitation in paying for good online content.

I think i saw the program. There's an interesting article on this topic on the smh website:
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/the-ipads-role-in-saving-newspapers-is-far-from-certain-20100608-xtka.html
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Return to Between Bushwalks