How to Lose Weight?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

How to Lose Weight?

Postby Russell123 » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 8:26 pm

hi everyone i want to lose my weight my age is 23years and my weight is 75 kg. give me some suggestion that how i can reduce my weight and how much running is necessary for me
Russell
Russell123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: How to Lose Weight?

Postby geoskid » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 10:07 pm

Russell123 wrote:hi everyone i want to lose my weight my age is 23years and my weight is 75 kg. give me some suggestion that how i can reduce my weight and how much running is necessary for me

Hi Russel, despite what the world around us might try to suggest, it is really quite simple
If energy in is greater than energy expended - then weight will go up.
If energry in is less than energy expended - then wieght will go down.
If you have a girlfriend that you think is sexy, go with her theory - you can't go wrong :wink:
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby sthughes » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 10:45 pm

Eat less, do more. Easy.

I really need to try the eat less bit :lol:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 11:19 pm

Russell123 wrote:hi everyone i want to lose my weight my age is 23years and my weight is 75 kg. give me some suggestion that how i can reduce my weight and how much running is necessary for me

Russell,

The first question is why do you want to lose weight? A useful guide is to check your Body Mass Index (BMI). You can do that online here

Assuming you are overweight, it is a case of regular exercise and restricted diet. If you are not exercising now, you may find that just adding daily exercise to your routine will be enough to shed weight as long as you keep eating the same mix and quantity of food. You'll shed wait if you do regular cardio work for at least 20 minutes and maintain or reduce your diet.

When you start an exercise program, it's important not to overdo it. Start with a short run every other day and gradually build up over a couple of months to 20-30 minutes a day. Don't rush it, and learn to warm up before you start, do stretches etc. Give yourself a rest day once a week. Make sure you have good footwear, running is hard on your joints.

Hope that helps.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 11:20 pm

sthughes wrote:Eat less, do more. Easy.
:lol:

Maybe not QUITE as easy as that :lol:

There are no hard and fast rules, but as you asked, here are just a few thoughts:

Think about why you want to lose weight and what will really motivate you to do it.

Exercise in whatever way you will enjoy. Walking + Gym work for me. (I value my joints too much to do a lot of running). If you don't get something other than burning calories from whatever you choose, it's unlikely that you'll stick with it.

Start off with whatever you can do fairly comfortably and build up distance and/or speed regularly but in not too big increments.

Consider reducing the amount of animal sourced food in your diet. It's great for losing weight, there's lots of evidence that it's better for long-term health, and it's much kinder to the planet than the conventional Australian diet. And no, vegetarian food doesn't have to be boring, and is increasingly available without too much trouble.

A few indulgences are essential. If you forget your revised eating/drinking intentions sometimes, don't think you've blown it and may as well give up.

Good luck!
Last edited by Chris on Sat 31 Jul, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 9:22 pm

Dear, dear me..... The last time I was 75kg I was sixteen. The next time I'll have been dead for three weeks. At your age all you need to do is get active and leave junk-food/fatty-food alone. That includes cakes, biscuits, sweets, candy bars and energy drinks. ....but do as I say, not as I do. :lol:
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 6:32 am

If you are into walking, a multiday Tassie bushwalk can be good for a few kg's. Just don't have celebratory visit to the pizza/milkshake bar after the walk!
Good luck
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Macca81 » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:45 pm

walkinTas wrote:

Dear, dear me..... The last time I was 75kg I was sixteen. The next time I'll have been dead for three weeks.

i honestly dont know how old i was when i was last at that weight... and ill have been dead for a bt longer than 3 weeks when im next at it i imagine ;)

At your age all you need to do is get active and leave junk-food/fatty-food alone. That includes cakes, biscuits, sweets, candy bars and energy drinks. ....but do as I say, not as I do. :lol:

spot on. im the same age and im also working towards loosing some weight (i am aiming to get down to about 90-95kg... so your already way ahead of me lad!)
-dont go to takeaways, if you do, grab a roll rather than the deep fried goodness in the bain-marie.
-at home, eat meats like kangaroo and chicken which are low in fat and high in protien.
-use olive oil rather than blended oils. make sure its pure olive oil. this cuts out trans fats and other bad fats. (also alomond, peanut, seasome, walnut, soy oils. bad oils are grain based oils such as corn)
-eat smaller meals more often. you will find your less hungry and your metabolism will rise if you have a small breakfast, morning tea, lunch, arvo tea and dinner, rather than just 3 big meals (even if your total food intake is identical, you will notice your noticibly less hungry after just a few days of changing this habit)
-walk. half hour a day, get up a bit earlier, do it in ur lunch break, do it after tea. doesnt matter when you do it, just find a time (this is my downfall, i walk a lot at work, but i cant find time to just put in a solid 30 mins in a day)
-get away from the TV/computer. watching tv, you burn less calories than you do when your sleeping!!!!!!! (i bolded that just because its a fact that many people are not aware of and its something that tends to shock a few people...). i personaly dont watch tv, altho i spend far too much time on the comp.
-put on some music when your doing just about anything, you will subconsiously start to tap your foot/nod your head/do a little jig to the beat of the music. this is enough to kick up your metabolism and its a very subtle way of excercising during the most mundane of tasks(fidgeting keeps you fit ;) )

the above might look like a bit, but really its all very easy and takes very little effort to do (unless your a bit of a computer geek and you really really like your laptop... like me...)
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby tasadam » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 4:58 pm

Lizzy wrote:If you are into walking, a multiday Tassie bushwalk can be good for a few kg's.

15 days in the southwest and I lost 5KG's as mentioned here.
It's a technique I wouldn't recommend.

Last time I was 75KG's? That would have been when I had my pack on.
What I mean is we're all different. As mentioned, check your BMI - how tall are you?
According to THIS Australian site,
If you have a BMI of:

* Under 18 – you are very underweight and possibly malnourished.
* Under 20 – you are underweight and could afford to gain a little weight.
* 20 to 25 – you have a healthy weight range for young and middle-aged adults.
* 26 to 30 – you are overweight.
* Over 30 – you are obese.

So if you are 75KG's, your height should be between 173.3 cm and 193.5 cm to put you in a healthy weight range.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Macca81 » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 5:45 pm

i hate BMI, it is such a poor way of determining if someone has a weight problem.
according to BMI, i am obese and for my height i should weigh about 75kg at the upper limit, but this would be impossible as test have shown me to have 70-75kg of muscle.
im still fat, dont get me wrong, but my muscle, bone and organs weigh in at around 90kg before the fat is added on.
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby corvus » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 6:31 pm

Macca81 wrote:i hate BMI, it is such a poor way of determining if someone has a weight problem.
according to BMI, i am obese and for my height i should weigh about 75kg at the upper limit, but this would be impossible as test have shown me to have 70-75kg of muscle.
im still fat, dont get me wrong, but my muscle, bone and organs weigh in at around 90kg before the fat is added on.

Dont keep us guessing what do you weigh :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby photohiker » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 10:44 pm

Macca81 wrote:i hate BMI, it is such a poor way of determining if someone has a weight problem.

BMI is inexact as it is a statistical measure based on assessments of many people, but it is a good starting place.

Lean skeletal muscle runs about 1.06kg/litre whereas adipose tissue (fat) runs 0.9196kg/litre wikipedia, so big means heavy regardless of whether the big is from fat or muscle, there is only 15% difference. This is where the BMI falls down, it doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle. There are other tests you can run without getting a scan that measure various parts of your body and get closer to measuring the likelihood of you being big/fat or big/strong.

According to wikipedia, the average male has 42% of skeletal muscle, so on that basis if your muscles weigh in at a hefty 75kg (average is 30-40kg), you must weigh more than 178.5kg if you are overweight? :D

One of the teacher's aides at our son's school made me laugh one day - she was as fat as lard and was in conflict because one of the kids had called her 'fat'. She said "I know I'm a little overweight, but I don't consider myself fat" :lol:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 3:24 pm

photohiker wrote:

BMI is inexact as it is a statistical measure based on assessments of many people, but it is a good starting place.

Lean skeletal muscle runs about 1.06kg/litre whereas adipose tissue (fat) runs 0.9196kg/litre wikipedia, so big means heavy regardless of whether the big is from fat or muscle, there is only 15% difference. This is where the BMI falls down, it doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle. There are other tests you can run without getting a scan that measure various parts of your body and get closer to measuring the likelihood of you being big/fat or big/strong.

According to wikipedia, the average male has 42% of skeletal muscle, so on that basis if your muscles weigh in at a hefty 75kg (average is 30-40kg), you must weigh more than 178.5kg if you are overweight? :D

One of the teacher's aides at our son's school made me laugh one day - she was as fat as lard and was in conflict because one of the kids had called her 'fat'. She said "I know I'm a little overweight, but I don't consider myself fat" :lol:

there is more to you than skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle doesnt count for much, but smooth muscle accounts for a fair amount ;) and if my total muscle as a percentage of mass is above average (average is just an average after all[60-70% of total mass in total muscle is not out of the question]), then its not unlikely for me to now be down to 113kg... and falling, and loosing muscle mass at the same time... apparently i dont have to heave around as much weight anymore ;)

so 75/113=66%... i prob dont have 75kg worth of muscle anymore, but when i was 125kg+, and still as strong as an ox, then 60% muscle at 75oddkg is not unreasonable.

body builders are upwards of 85% muscle mass... morbidly obese people are often low 30%, those tall skinny beanpole types, often lower again.
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby walkinTas » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm

The next obvious question then is do body builders suffer from any of the health problems associated with being overweight. ( eg. Sleep Apnea, Coronary Heart Disease and Stroke, Metabolic Syndrome, Cancer, Osteoarthritis, Gallbladder Disease, etc)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jellybean » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 5:10 pm

walkinTas wrote:The next obvious question then is do body builders suffer from any of the health problems associated with being overweight. ( eg. Sleep Apnea, Coronary Heart Disease and Stroke, Metabolic Syndrome, Cancer, Osteoarthritis, Gallbladder Disease, etc)

With regard to those diseases in body builders, for those who do experience them I'd say they are not caused by being "overweight" but by the various illegal substances that they (some) abuse in order to achieve that muscle bulk! (e.g., stroke, cancers, tendons torn from the bone....).
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:34 am

It is very important to understand that bad health effects with excess weight happen slowly on the over weight side but very dramatic on the underweight side so play safe if you are pushing for a perfect BMI. BMI are a good starting point but once I got to 90 kilograms and was still overweight re BMI but most people thought me under what I should be. If you are a Tongan then BMI are a not a good guide but for the rest of us sadly they are not ridiculously wrong as much as I would hope for.

For me the only way to lose and hold the weight off is a very heavy duty running cycle of around 100km per week that my body simply can not handle. Food is my weakness.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 2:12 am

Brett wrote:For me the only way to lose and hold the weight off is a very heavy duty running cycle of around 100km per week that my body simply can not handle. Food is my weakness.

Food is every fat persons weakness. :D

You see, what happens when you diet and loose a lot of weight quickly is your body fights back. Your body is wired to maintain a plateau weight and has multiple inbuilt anti weight-loss mechanisms. According to “set-point” theory, the brain’s hypothalamus has a mechanism which actually regulates weight. The body increase the appetite response, you will feel hungry and want to eat, and when you eat your body will work hard to store the energy and replenish the fat reserves. The body can also adjust the rate of fat consumption to protect fat reserves. Obesity is a slow process of constant over indulgence that slowly lifts the set-point.

The actual process of loosing weight sounds quiet easy - just expend more energy than you consume. :wink: So if you maintain your old eating habits that made you obese, you'll have to maintain a very heavy work load to expend all the energy. That is why we crash diet. We are adjusting our input so we can loose weight fast. But apparently it is the wrong approach. What we need to do is permanently change our diets first, so we permanently have a lower, more appropriate energy intake, and then increase our exercise level so that we loose weight. That way we manage our weight with exercise, not diet.

The first step is the hardest - successfully change the diet. Then we can exercise to establish a new lower set-point that the body will get use to and that can be maintained by the new, appropriate diet. If we over indulge occasionally then we need a short period of heavier exercise to correct the imbalance.

So that's the theory anyway. I'll tell you in 6-12 months time how well it is working. :lol:
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sailfish » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 1:01 pm

2 years ago I lost around 10 kg. Since then I have put a little back on but not all. I have put myself back on the program again. Target this time is 65 kg. I have found this http://www.calorieking.com.au site extremely useful. Heres why:

Weight loss or gain is simply determined by energy input and output. If the output is greater than the input, you will loose weight. Your body makes up the deficit by cannibalising tissue and it doesn't care what tissue it uses. It will break down both muscle and fat to do it. So you can't loose fat simply by restricting diet because you will loose muscle mass as well. For this reason you must combine diet with exercise to retain muscle mass and strength. To do this successfully and safely, you need to balance the energy equation and not try to loose too fast. You need to know what the energy input and output actually are. In other words, you have to calorie count. This is where the site comes in. It has a very large database of foods available in Australia and allows you to input and save your own foods. You can save favourites to make it easy to find your staple items. It includes common exercises. You log your calories in your own personal diary online. It also has weight loss information and a support forum to help keep you encouraged.

How easy is that?

Some say I don’t eat much but can’t loose weight, slow metabolism etc. Sorry to say, studies show most people simply forget and don’t realise how much energy they consume. I know that will make some readers angry but it’s been found to be the truth in almost every case study.

You could purchase a heart rate monitor. Once you put in your personal settings, it estimates your calorie burn pretty accurately.

You can eat what you like and as much as you like as long as you balance the energy. I find I need to be 200 to 300 cal under each day to loose 1 kg or so in a week. I try to do a 30 min walk every lunch break but a push provides bike the fastest burn. Better to include some general and core exercise as well, to not waste those muscles. Don't rely on cardio alone.

As stated before, is weight loss really the goal. Interestingly, the best single measure for health is your waste size. For Men of any height, over 90 cm waste means you have fat between your organs and that is dangerous. Under this, your fat is under the skin and not dangerous. It doesn't matter how tall you are or how you are built, this single value holds true. For women it's less but I don't recall the number.

I hope that is all helpful.

Regards,
Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 1:15 pm

I get the feeling it was some sort of (lame?) attempt at an AFD joke?
Some good discussion though :wink:

whats with this message when clicking on the name ?;

The member list has been temporarily disabled for duration of a members-based competition.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Click here for details.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 1:37 pm

Nuts wrote:whats with this message when clicking on the name ?;

The member list has been temporarily disabled for duration of a members-based competition.

Click here for details.

Sheesh, you weren't supposed to notice that until tomorrow (only put that in place a few minutes ago - that was quick!). All will be revealed in the fullness of time - just one more minor detail to put into place.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Macca81 » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 4:06 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
Nuts wrote:whats with this message when clicking on the name ?;

Click here for details.

Sheesh, you weren't supposed to notice that until tomorrow (only put that in place a few minutes ago - that was quick!). All will be revealed in the fullness of time - just one more minor detail to put into place.

you then click 'click here' and get told you dont have permission to view... how roood :P
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby corvus » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 4:38 pm

Guess we have a "when will we get 2000 members" competition coming up :wink:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Phil » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 4:54 pm

If that's the case then you can sure count me out. I think the 'guess the date of the 30,000 post' competition that we ran last year was the first competition and prize that I've ever won.........so I'm sure that I won't be winning any more competitions for at least another 10 years! :lol:
Phil

Postby Swifty » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 5:42 am

What's with Russell123? One post back in April and ..nada? C'mon Russell123 - did you lose weight :(
I've lost one stone since then, through...reducing calorie intake.
I know it's ranked as another "fad" diet, but the Scarsdale Medical Diet works for me. My weight creeps up over the years, then I Scarsdale for a few months and it gets better.
Mind you, poor old Dr Tarnower, the inventor of the diet, came to a sticky end. Cheated on his missus and she shot him! While he was...you know..."on the job" with his mistress. Real life drama! lol. He was 70 years old, too! I guess a good diet can do wonders...and get you into trouble at the same time. :)
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Between Bushwalks