Election

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

How dd you vote

Labour
5%
Liberal
19%
Greens
57%
Independant
19%

Total votes : 21

Election

Postby Drifting » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm curious to see how people are voting- how's about we try a poll without starting any debate- hey?

Adam and Nik- please feel free to kill this if it is unsuitable!
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Election

Postby Nuts » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:08 pm

Seemed like a choice between dubious and silly policy, once again I was going to just give it to the party who had the least dodgy reps at the polling station... there weren't Any!
So I gave it to the independents... there weren't 5 of them so I threw a few the greens way (as irrelevant as they are)... I regret ever enrolling... Think i'd prefer to turn up for referendums on issues, the first being to minimise the power given to most of these freeloaders... :|
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:18 pm

Nuts wrote:Think i'd prefer to turn up for referendums on issues, the first being to minimise the power given to most of these freeloaders... :|

Sadly in California the result was people voting for increased services and lower taxation :roll: As one of my old bosses was fond of quoting the people get the people they deserve. The same lack of talent appeared in the last council elections so the real question is why are people of calibre not standing. The answer is simple by asking each of ourselves why we do not stand for public office. The reason is likely the hassle and effort is not worth the positives of doing this. I for one would not want to put up with the 24/7 garbage that our elected members get dished out.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:31 pm

Efficiency will always be the challenge, accountability and consultation might help as a starting point...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 3:31 pm

Nuts wrote: I regret ever enrolling...

you realise you dont have to fill out the form, just get ur name ticked off...

i went greens, hoping mainly to avoid a majority gov. hung parliment is ideal IMHO because legislation actually has to be well thought out and presented to be passed, where a majority gov can push through just about anything they want.
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby photohiker » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 3:59 pm

On the other hand, a majority government can actually do stuff. :)

No easy solution, but the result indicates to me that the electorate is sick of all the bull. Hopefully, things will work out better for Tasmania now.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:53 pm

Paul Lennon would have to be one of the sharpest political operators I have seen close hand so is interesting to listen to him even if you oppose him with all you will. His point is a valid one with hung parliaments. For the period of time that the combatants believe that the public want the result to stand will cobble together some arrangement because they have to but after a period of time each combatants' focus will return to getting elected and strange as it is a successfully operating arrangement is counter productive to their individual election chances. Rather amazing given that in times of the greatest threat a war cabinet is formed drawing the best minds from all parties and this historically worked well but in peace time it never is a goer.

In two years time there will be another election and the parties that get together now will experience a significant drop in support is my prediction. Not that is my wish just a reading of history and projecting forward.

Until the Democrats imploded over Telstra I had felt that with the Senate a balance of power held by many combinations gave the best outcome. It is interesting studying the Work Reforms put through from a legal document view. The draft was reasonably clear on many points but the final act was as clear as mud in certain sections. Delightfully vague was the best words I could think of as it gave wriggle room rather than clear direction so a party with a clear majority in both houses is not good but nor is one where each party holds one house. The betrayal of the voters by the Democrats due to individual power lust on that issue wreck what was not a bad situation. Sort of destroyed my faith in so called middle road parties.

I will be interested to see how much cross ticket voting happened as the Examiner was lobbying that the public should select the best candidate regardless of party. Looking at the preliminary results I would say this had credence with more than a few voters so maybe the missed selection in this is "Did you vote across the ticket". Masybe I should write No Dams on my above selection as that was missed as an option for that referendum. :lol:

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:27 pm

I have to agree wth the 2 year scenario Brett, as the major party in the arrangement will not want it to work too well lest the public see that it can bring reforms and increase the support for the minor party.
In his book "confessions of a ferret salesman" Bob Cheek said that his party went out of their way at every opportunity, to make the Greens look bad. Nick Mc Kim would be well aware of this and should try to negotiate away from that outcome.
At the end of the day I think (hope) that they will put Tassie first and be open and honest :wink: with the people and themselves.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:09 pm

So far as I can tell, by observation of personalities I believe the only way a 'coalition' with the greens will work, rather ironically is with the Libs.
The rationale;
1/ Hodgeman is a lily-livered nervous schoolboy type who is ready to compromise.
2/ Certain greens have a 'special' relationship with a couple of key libs, and have done so for at least 2 years.
3/ Labor is far too aligned with unions and forestry and has left no 'wriggle-room' whatsoever.
4/ Trappings of power - the longer 1 party is in power, the more the other parties share a common interest - this will probably fall apart however once in power(hence the 2 year theory).

Perhaps the media training of the greens 2.I.C. and the media training of their leader combined with the nepotistic ineptitude of a lib premier will give us a good outcome :D
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 9:06 am

Rule 4.
Political content unrelated to bushwalking is not permitted, either for or against any particular issue, party, person or organisation.

Topic locked.

Feel free to PM Son of a Beach if you disagree with this decision.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Between Bushwalks