Tasmanian Trail Camp Grounds

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Tasmanian Trail Camp Grounds

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 12:57 pm

I've just had a quick flick through the Tasmanain Trail web site, and of particular note to this forum is the camp sites shown on the map page. You can click on the boxed sections of the map to see a larger version of each section, and from there, you can click on the camp site markers (or at least some of them) to see photos of the campsites.

From what I can tell (without having yet looked at a better map), these campsites appear to be near roads and some of them look like good spots for car camping.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Tasmanian Trail Camp Grounds

Postby TassieMargie » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 2:18 pm

I was looking at that site the other day Nik, it has a lot of info on it. The images there seem to have a lot of horses in them, wonder if we'll have to shack up with them :lol:

Thanks for the info anyway.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 4:06 pm

Yeah, at first I thought some of those camp grounds were in farm yards full of horses. But I think that most of the pictures where just taken by a group who did the trail by horse back, so the pictures are a little weighted in the equine direction.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby walkinTas » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 7:18 pm

Nice Nik!

I know you are interested in car camping. I just bought a book by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage called Camping guide to Tasmania. It lists over 150 public camping spots. Many of them can be accessed by road and would be great car camping spots.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 8:12 pm

Walter Van Praag, local Devonport man who achieves some amazing feats despite having the quite debilitating disease of cystic fibrosis, has a great page on the Tassie Trail. Ive met Walter many years ago and hes a stellar guy, the rest of his site is well worth a browse too...the story of him and his "guide" dog is a cracker.

http://www.vanpraag.info/mlj/tastrail.html

Im supprised he isnt a member here actually...I might shoot him an email about the site.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Return to Between Bushwalks