Potential Contamination of Waters from Plantation Catchments

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Potential Contamination of Waters from Plantation Catchm

Postby Taurë-rana » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 2:29 pm

Brett wrote: Bit surprise that tissue culturing was not use (wonder if that proved too expensive compared to letting the birds and the bees do the work).

I actually thought that tissue culture was used for the mass production of these trees, the work being done in Ridgley. It certainly would make much more sense to do it that way, and I would have thought the savings would definitely be there. Surely they don't wait and use seed collection?

Apparently tannin, if it's the same stuff that is in tea, isn't all that good for you when drunk over many years, so black tea drinkers should add a dash of milk.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 3:10 pm

Taurë-rana wrote:so black tea drinkers should add a dash of milk.

??

milk eliminates tannin somehow?

:)

[edit] No, it doesn't...

wikipedia wrote:Adding milk to coffee and tea has very little to no influence on the inhibitory effect of tannins.

Wikipedia link (look under toxicity)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 3:48 pm

Taurë-rana wrote:I actually thought that tissue culture was used for the mass production of these trees, the work being done in Ridgley. It certainly would make much more sense to do it that way, and I would have thought the savings would definitely be there. Surely they don't wait and use seed collection?

Until the report in the Examiner I would have agreed with you on that. Also wonder if maybe the disease/insect risk analysis meant someone thought hectare after hectare of clones was just asking for trouble. Also it could be that as with sheep strange aging effects happens to clones :twisted: (very evil thought crossed my mind just then :lol: ) Bamboo spreads by self propagation (ie cloning) and has the interesting characteristic of dying all at once even if cuttings have been taken to a different hemisphere. I hope the stuff at my place gets the memo :roll: Ridgley's research was the shinning star when I was at APPM many years ago so curious what happened to this approach.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 4:23 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:volcboy and Corvus...

You both have good points, and we appreciate your input, but please lay off discussing each other, and stick to the topic. Some of the comments are getting too personal, and are definitely beyond polite and friendly.

G'day Nik,
Consider me warned :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Taurë-rana » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 5:19 pm

I don't think there are any problems with cloning through micropropagation, after all it's basically like taking miniature cuttings - not at all like cloning animals. There are more problems with somatic embryogenesis where the new plant is produced from some original undifferentiated cells.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ent » Mon 01 Mar, 2010 11:45 am

Taurë-rana wrote:I don't think there are any problems with cloning through micropropagation, after all it's basically like taking miniature cuttings - not at all like cloning animals. There are more problems with somatic embryogenesis where the new plant is produced from some original undifferentiated cells.

The problem with "cloning" whether by natural means as with bamboo or striking cuttings as done for thousands of years is the generic material is all the same and as with humans there might be a genetic time bomb in the single organism;s DNA so higher risk than a wider genetic base. Yes while siblings might have a higher risk of some genetic affliction generally identical twins suffer together at a much higher rate. Me thinks by the sounds of this microprogation probably flunked out on a risk assessment study or prove too expensive. I am rather curious why it is not been used though given the strong push in the eighties for it.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sirius Tas » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm

A few more facts are available on the DHHS website...
http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/news_and_med ... er_quality

It makes my blood boil to see how many RELEVANT FACTS were conveniently left out of the AS program and that these were readily known some 5 years ago.
Your original assertions were spot on Corvus.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sirius Tas » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 10:14 am

Update on the Scientific progress of the George River water quality can be found at
http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/news_and_media/?a=51231

It's great to see that finally a proper and thorough scientific study and analysis will be applied...unlike which appeared on AS.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok, long time no post and then I drop a whole essay on you all :mrgreen: ...but ya loves me anyway :D

Part 1 of the TV show was little more than scaremongering. As others have pointed out, all of the allegations made in part one were addressed, and dismissed, in part two. It is scaremongering because the shows producers knew what was to come before part 1 went to air. I'll quote the show itself, because the scientist "effectively eliminated all possible known man made, and all naturally occurring toxins that have caused problems in the literature. These include all the pesticides, they include metals, they include blue-green algal toxins, they include toxins from fungus's, they include fungicides and so on and so forth. Everything that we knew could cause toxicity we had eliminated. We'd tested it twice and it wasn't there. And yet the toxicity was there every time we went. So this is 26-27 water samples later or sampling events later, we still couldn't find a cause". Dr. Marcus Scammell. You'll remember Dr. Scammell was the author of the original report calling for scientific investigation into the phenomenon.

On the question of clusters of rare cancers. The claim was made by Dr. Alison Bleaney that there was an "unexpected and unexplained.... large increase in cancer". Absolutely no evidence was presented to support the claim or compare the incidence of cancers in St. Helens with those across the population of Tasmania. I can't comment on whether the assertion is true or not, because there was nothing offered in the show at all by way of evidence.

On the question of Genetically Modified trees, I'd like to point out that the term Genetically Modified was never used in the show. GM has a very specific meaning. In the show Dr. Scammell referred to Genetically Improved Trees. Since these problems manifest prior to 1997, and since the plantations in question date back to the 1980s, it is unlikely that GM is involved at all. Never mind that it would be an illegal, foolish and costly path for Forestry Companies to have followed, and a very risky venture to engage in for large scale plantations. If it occurred at all, and I doubt it did, it would have most likely be confined to small experimental plantings. Genetic Improvement on the other hand refers to the age old practice of selecting and growing the best plants - sometimes referred to as Super Trees. I can assure you that this has been done. In my experience, these plants are normally selected because of their superior phenotype - ie. they look better than other plants around them - they are bigger, grow faster etc. It is deduced that this means they are genetically superior. This is an age old practice in horticulture and agriculture. Many garden plants and nearly all vegetable crop plants have been Genetically Improved using this type of practice. There was no specific evidence presented that all or any particular plantations in the catchment where Genetically Improved. Just a general statement with no discussion, nor any attempt to clarify.

Does this mean that these Genetically Improved plants are more toxic. Well, lets leave that to the New Zealand scientist who appeared in the show, Dr. Chris Hickey. "We decided that we'd test the toxicity of old growth Eucalyptus nitens in Victoria and compare those with the plantation trees in Tasmania. There were subtle differences in chemistry within the leaves but it wasn't increasing the toxicity of the leaves". So no, the "Genetically Improved" plants aren't more toxic. There was also no discussion on the naturally occurring variation in populations of E.nitens within Victoria. However, "the Tasmanian trees generated a lot more foam and this foam was a lot more stable than the Victorian leaves. The significance of this is that... in that the toxicity is carried by the foam. This is the mode by which the toxin can be transferred within the catchment and move down the river system". Dr. Chris Hickley.

Ok, so the gum trees produce lots of foam, and the foam is toxic and is polluting the environment. Well, not quite... "We are quite comfortable that we know that the foam is very toxic, but we don't know what quantities are produced and the frequency that it has occurred, and how often things are exposed." .... "Since our original experiments we designed a second set of experiments where by we would chemically analyse both the leaf material from Eucalyptus nitens and the foam material and then follow that up with bio-assays.... What we've been able to do is come very close to showing that there is a common chemical fraction in both the Eucalyptus nitens leaves and in the toxicity of the foam". Dr. Chris Hickley. Very close to showing.... but not conclusive. Dr. Hickley again - "So from that we are really very close to being able to confirm that Eucalyptus nitens is the primary source of toxicity in the foam". Very close.... primary source... so wait, are there other sources. Dr. Hickley - "I think that something we shouldn't dismiss entirely is the potential for this being a cocktail effect of a number of different things in this catchment". I would hasten to point out that foam in rivers is not unique to E. nitens plantations nor to the St. George River, but you are all bushwalkers, so you already know that.

So will it kill us to drink the water near plantations. Well first you must remember that the apparatus used to catch the water samples was deliberately used to concentrate the sample of foam by skimming the foam off the surface of the water over a long period. Dr. Christian Khalil tested these samples on human skin, liver and lung cells and found that "whatever is in the water is killing all the cell population in my tests. It is toxic but I don't know the extent of the impact on the whole body, because as you know, we are doing experiments using single cells, which is different from an organism where you have multiple cells interacting with each other, and when cells can repair themselves in the human body". Dr. Khalil also said, "the more you dilute the water the less kill rate you get".

This was an interesting programme, and the whole area certainly deserves much more investigation. However, nothing in this show should call for Forestry Company bashing or Politician bashing or Scientist bashing or any similar reactions. The TV Show and the original Scammell Report where both calls for further investigation, which is now happening - even if a bit belatedly. I'm prepared to wait for additional information before drawing a final conclusion.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 6:02 pm

wander wrote:Can someone clarify why the trees were GM?
And I was under the impression that Tas was to be GM free? Obvioulsy an incorrect understanding. What is the Tas Gov's position on GM?

Yes wander, Tasmania is a GM free zone - see here. As I said above, GM was not mentioned in the TV Show, only in the post show beat-up.

sthughes wrote:I could be wrong but I think we are just talking about selective breeding here. By choosing only trees with certain desirable traits and using only them to propergate from, whilst disposing of the rest, over several generations you are in effect genetically altering the plant.
This is pretty close to what happens.

I did a little bit more research on the question of Genetically Improved Trees, just to be sure of my facts.

The original E.nitens plantations were established from seed collected in the wild in Victoria (some may also have come from NSW but I just can't remember if that is true). Plantations were established beginning in the late 1970s and by the mid 1980s several million trees were being planted each year. With such large numbers to choose from, scientists were able to select the best of these trees mostly based on height, girth and wood volumes. These trees were asexually propagated in the nursery, usually from tip cuttings. Very early on they actually shot the tips off trees with a .270 rifle and grafted them onto seedlings in the nursery. The resulting trees - clones of the original trees - were planted into seed orchard. When the trees matured and reproduced, seed was collected and used to establish new plantations. These F1 seedlings were expected to inherit their parents ability to grow faster and produce more wood. Large numbers of trees were established in plantations from this seed. This allowed scientists to again select the best of the best. The biggest trees were selected from the plantations of F1 hybrids and were cloned and planted into new seed orchards. These seed orchards now supply the seed used to grow the seedlings that go out to plantation. In their newsletter Gunns claim to have "improved E.nitens growth rates by 22%".

This is exactly the same practice that was used to produce Pinus radiata seed, and seedlings from P.radiata seed orchards have been used in plantations in Tasmania since the late '60s (of even earlier).

Taurë-rana wrote:
Brett wrote: Bit surprise that tissue culturing was not use (wonder if that proved too expensive compared to letting the birds and the bees do the work).

I actually thought that tissue culture was used for the mass production of these trees, the work being done in Ridgley. It certainly would make much more sense to do it that way, and I would have thought the savings would definitely be there. Surely they don't wait and use seed collection?

Gunns claim to grow an estimated 18 million seedlings a year at their Somerset nursery (not all E. nitens). I believe that most of the E.nitens seed if not all of the seed, comes from their own seed orchards based on these second generation selected trees. Gunns does not do any tissue culture. Associated Forest Holding did some research into this in the mid to late 80's at Ridgley prior to the company being purchased by Gunns. I believe some very good research on tissue culture of E.nitens has also been done in Portugal. I think the research at Ridgley stopped shortly after the Gunns acquisition. To the best of my knowledge, large scale plantations in Tasmania have only ever been established using seedlings.

E.nitens and E.globulus (Tassie Bluegum) are grown around the world, in Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, New Zealand and of course Mainland Australia. Far more is grown in other countries than is grown in Tasmania. The research done by Tasmanian scientist into forestry practices and into the silviculture of E.nitens is world leading research. This is science we should all be proud of. It is just a pity it is not more freely available on the Internet - blame the .com boom for that.

Some more reading:
Department of Health and Human Services Media Release: - http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/news_and_med ... er_quality
Forest Scientist Media Release: http://www.crcforestry.com.au/downloads ... claims.pdf
Tasmanian Government Research response: http://www.georgeriverwater.org.au/index.aspx?base=4107

Readings on the Toxicity of Eucalyptus Oils
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/med ... calyp.html
http://www.personalhealthzone.com/herba ... fects.html
http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/pim031.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... yptus.html
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sirius Tas » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 3:48 pm

The latest and final report on water quality can be found at

http://www.georgeriverwater.org.au/index.aspx?base=4500

Hope this now puts paid to any inuendo regarding so called toxic plantations and that the original assertions on Australia Story WERE AND ARE completely false.
Amen for proper scientific reporting and actual FACT gathering.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 5:32 pm

corvus wrote:Geoskid,
Please dont get sucked in by the bells and whistles of "experts" are the wild things in the water still living ? if so good if not where is the real proof that they are dieing in droves caused by farming procedures/activities.
Always suspicious of "activists" and their motives or agenda.
corvus

Fair point except that i think if we wait until animals are dieing in droves it might be a BIT later than we shoulda left it?!
And i think a healthy dose of suspicion should be shared out among all political parties (gov and activist...)

however i feel that anytime we alter an environment on a large scale (either by adding chemicals, reducing biodiversity, or other damage) it will have more impact than we can usually forsee or admit to seeing, since we are a part of our food chain and environment it will have an impact somehow and to believe otherwise is to perpetuate the problem.
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Ent » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 11:31 pm

I like to think that all sides have been acting in what they see as the best interest of the community and tend to feel that methodology rather than other motivation is the cause of differing opinions. Yes the foam is quite toxic but the simple measure of taking water at the middle of the flow (which was happening) means no dramatic issues. As for the Oyster dying it is interesting to see the other stress where identified but missed in the ABC report. I think that the ABC has sufficient grounds to reconsider how it handled the case. Australian story is a light weight program and I would have much preferred had the matter been handled by Four Corners. Too much drama was injected into the case and the splitting of the program into two shows with the "smoking gun" been left to the last show for dramatic effect has diminished dramatically the ABC's reputation to ACA level. I kick myself I did not raise this today with the ABC's new Tassie Director.

Cheers Brett
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks