Sailboarding on the Tamar River

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Sailboarding on the Tamar River

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 15 Jan, 2008 7:25 am

I haven't done a lot of sailboarding so far this Summer, but my father just sent me this picture he took while I was out on the river just across the road from home in November. I like this one... makes it look like I know what I'm doing. :D

I remember though, that on this particular day the wind got stronger as the day went on, and later I had a crash (I crashed into the water... don't ask) and I hit the water so fast that I got a nasty whip-lash that hurt my neck for several days afterwards.

Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Sailboarding on the Tamar River

Postby Joe » Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:19 am

You really do look like you know what you are doing!

I tried windsurfing years ago as a kid in Noosa. I had standing up sussed by end of it but couldnt turn the thing for life of me. Straight line all day. Ended up in Cooloundra ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Re: Sailboarding on the Tamar River

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:57 am

It took me almost two full summers to get the hang of going in a straight line. That was about 20 years ago. I still haven't got the hang of turning around reliably on a short board. :-(

At least if you get stuck out offshore in Noosa, the water temperature ain't too bad. The tamar can be pretty cold at times! Thankfully it was fairly warm in the water last Saturday, which is just as well, because I spent more time floundering around in the water, kicking jelly fish, waiting for the next gust of wind, than I spent sailing.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Nearly ran over a seal!

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 8:05 am

I was out on the river again yesterday and saw a dark blob in the water straight ahead. I was going pretty fast, and by the time I got close, it was diving. I got to within about 2 metres, I reckon, and saw the hind quarters of a large seal diving down under the water just in front. It was fantastic!

Only the second time I've ever seen a wild seal that close.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks