Parks story

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Parks story

Postby stepbystep » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 5:50 pm

Just cut a story re. public service cutbacks, looks like PWS won't be getting anything despite cutbacks being eased :twisted:
Even the unions won't support the old department being restored.
Managed to convince the 'journo' PWS needed a mention at least :roll:
ABC - 7pm
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Parks story

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 6:41 pm

Just watched it. Well done. It's good to see Parks at least getting a special mention as being much in need.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby stepbystep » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks Nik,
It's pretty hard when you're in a place like that, some journo's care about the issues, but most just care about how they look on camera.
The way my industry is going this will only get worse, I could elaborate but there is no point($$$blah blah blah).
I got into the media to tell important, poignant and beautiful stories(they are everywhere) but, it's really hard to find a voice for those stories(hence freelancing doing news editing).
What's on celebrity dancing with masterchef idols tonight??? :wink:
Take care - I know some of us do :D
sbs
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 8:45 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 10:27 am

Brett wrote:Hi Stepbystep

My muddle memory. Are you a researcher for news? One interesting little statistic that Media Watched mentioned was a show like a Current Affair might use one researcher per media "personality/reporter" while the ABC Four Corners used to have a team of eight or more background people per reporter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oohh :lol: :lol: :lol:
my sides are hurting!
Sorry Brett, I am an editor and just freelance at the ABC - the journo's do everything. Not only do they research and write the stories, the likes of me are being put off so the journo's can edit their own stories - this means even less time for real journalism, not mention real editing :evil:
The turn around time from go to woe is usually about 6 hours, this includes driving sometimes 4 hours or more in the day.
Now there is talk of teaching them to use the cameras and replace the camera operators also.

Basically the same thing is happening within the ABC as is happening in PWS - 'rationalisation of resources'.
Most journo's worth their salt are leaving and being replaced by cadets - mostly female, who want to get their face on TV, and the networks are loving it.
Fortunately the reporter yesterday was receptive to my protest when I saw her draft script, she has rolled with it and has shifted the focus for radio also, still lightweight but at least PWS is now at the centre of the debate.

As for current affairs programs like 4 Corners, they do get a reasonable team(as they should), there are often complex legals to deal with.
You can't compare 4 Corners with ACA - that would be like comparing OzTrail with Mamut. :)

I'm at Aunty today, I wonder if someone is watching 8)

Cheers,sbs
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 11:32 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:03 pm

I was once caught up with a Union action which was supposbly started by an accident, 20 years ago.

A story appeared in the newspaper the next day and the only fact that was correct was the event did occur at a construction site on North Terrace Adelaide. They got every fact possible wrong including which site.

I called the paper and asked some questions about the story. Naturally they were not able to divulge their source. I asked why did they not call the construction company concerned (I would have known because one of my jobs was to answer the phones) or the Union officials involved (if they called the Union they would have had better facts from their point of view). The answer was they did not think of calling us and did not have time anyhow and that was that and too bad. All a very unsatisfactory response and an attitude that would appear to be walking a tight right for see you in courts.

A couple of weeks later I was told by a worker that his girlfriend had been chatting to a guy in the pub while waiting for him to get off work and he reckoned that was where the published story came from.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby seashell » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 5:22 pm

Just watched a story on the news about Bartlett's latest backflip. $10mil over 3 years to PWS, some of it for employment of more Rangers, some for the upkeep of tracks etc, though it sounded to me that alot of it will go to the more prominent/touristy areas... Still it's better than nothing.
seashell
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 6:06 pm

seashell wrote:Just watched a story on the news about Bartlett's latest backflip. $10mil over 3 years to PWS, some of it for employment of more Rangers, some for the upkeep of tracks etc, though it sounded to me that alot of it will go to the more prominent/touristy areas... Still it's better than nothing.

Seashell,
What would make you happy ?? :? Parks just been granted millions and you need to make a snide comment re "back flip" no pleasing some and where would you like the money spent and why :?
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby seashell » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm extremely happy that PWS will be getting millions in funding, the more the better and anywhere it will help. Oh and I must correct myself it's over 4 years, not 3. Just a bit sus over the timing of it is all.
seashell
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Between Bushwalks