Mountain Bike Traps

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Mountain Bike Traps

Postby Ent » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 4:37 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mountain Bike Traps

Postby flyfisher » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 7:31 pm

Not really familiar with the term "monkey bikes" but it would suit some of the riders in my area. Really the single brain cell can be applied to the peorle placing the obstructions, as much as to the bike riders.
Some idiots have gone as far as to tie fishing line or even wire between trees at dangerous heights. :twisted:
Just seems to happen in all areas so keep an eye out.
Sounds like a good exercise plan though. :D

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Ent » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 8:19 am

Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 11:38 am

Some of those single celled creatures also like to use trail bikes (I mean the full size ones, as well as the 'monkey' ones) on the Don reserve walking tracks. Have met them at quite high speed, as has my sister. Not much fun when you are cruising on a MTB or on foot and are confronted by a trail bike doing 60kmh or so on a narrow bush track. Living where we do we see them accessing the track and hear them, mainly in the summer.
Have seen trip wires used in the Latrobe area and heard of much worse.
There are some areas in the Dazzler Range that have been trashed by trail bikers etc.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 12:21 pm

Motorbikes are a major problem around where I live and they tear the walking/mtb trails up big time. This really irritates the locals who put a lot of time and effort into building some interesting stuff, go to youtube and do a search for "Kentlyn" to see what the local riders get up to.

And yes we have had numerous incidents of people putting logs across tracks, sticks placed in bushes next to the tracks with the ends pointing out at head height, wire placed across tracks at head height and wire attached to bits of wood laid across tracks so they get caught up in wheels (this happened to me once). Always have to be careful which peeves me no end. I can understand peoples frustrations but doing stupid things in the hope of stopping the idiots is beyond my understanding.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby flyfisher » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 4:59 pm

Yeah Michael they can make a big mess in very short order. It's the single cell brain type referred to by Brett who really don't seem to have any interest in where they are, just how much wheelspin etc. they can make.

I used to have an enduro bike which I used for years to access the western lakes area to allow day trips or overnighters to many good fishing lakes.Also used it on the east coast to explore logging tracks etc. The impact on tracks and soil was virtually nil because I was exploring etc. and didn't ride in a destructive manner.

These days I run a 4wd and use it the same way. I have seen a few beautiful grassy camp spots ripped to bits by bikes both 2 and four wheeled. Have seen it done by 4wd's as well.
End result is stuffed up beauty spots and closed tracks.

Image nice campspot

Image beautifull lake

Image mess not made by me

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Area54 » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm

Bit of an old thread, but often trail carers/workers/managers will place debris on old trails to dissuade further use and encourage rehabilitation of the area. This is generally in conjunction with another trail opening up with more modern design to counter erosion and create a more sustainable trail network. Many new trails are being created along the lines of the IMBA trail designs.

On our local trails we've had our fair share of snares and high wires over the years, but a strong mtb community and ranger presence have curbed most of it.
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby dancier » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 3:10 pm

sthughes wrote: Not much fun when you are cruising on a MTB or on foot and are confronted by a trail bike doing 60kmh or so on a narrow bush track.
Have seen trip wires used in the Latrobe area and heard of much worse.

I was riding in a MTB event, to my surprise I came across a trail bike heading towards me, luckily it was technical, so no harm but it could of been disaster on the fast sections. He went back where he came from when I told him there were heaps more coming through, the odds weren't in his favor.

I was riding into Adelaide from Goolwa when I stopped at a cafe about 30k out of town. I was chatting to some riders and mentioned trying to find a bike track along the freeway, they said some dipstick had put wire across the track at neck height a few days prior and wasn't recommended.
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby CoffeeLover » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 5:50 am

I cant believe people would put wires at neck height. Its like some sort of horror film.

You would think there would be something you could do about it.

Having said that maybe just putting the word out that is been done put people off?
CoffeeLover
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ent » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 9:38 am

Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tazz » Tue 02 Mar, 2010 11:34 am

Any motor cycle ridden on public land (state forest etc) requires some form or vehicle registration.Then at least the rider and whoever he or she injures has some personal insurance cover. trying to enforce that is another thing.
tazz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Between Bushwalks