Tasmanian Wilderness Film - Help Needed.

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Tasmanian Wilderness Film - Help Needed.

Postby stepbystep » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 10:55 am

Hi all,

In response to the devastation wrought by 3 shocking wilderness fire events over the past 9 years, renowned Tasmanian wilderness photographer and champion Rob Blakers is making a film to raise awareness about the threats to the globally unique paleo-endemic vegetation that makes Tasmania such a very special place. By paleo-endemic I mean the Gondwana link marvels we, as bush walkers know and love. The Pencil Pines, King Billie Pines, Fagus, Myrtle's etc....the unprecedented rise of climate change driven dry lightening events has seen these fires increase in severity and regularity. Our paleo-endemics are dying a tragic death one fire at a time. Right now bushwalking tracks all over southwest Tasmania are closed indefinitely from the damage done in last years disaster. This is our issue.

Despite lobbying from conservationists and fire ecologists, governments have not moved to improve response times and effectiveness. The 2016 senate inquiry recommendations were all ignored. Land management across Tasmania(and the Australian mainland) also need to be looked at, and fast. The knowledge and technology exists but the political will is woefully absent. This fire threat to wilderness also threatens communities and it is just a matter of time before a wildfire rips through into inhabited areas with huge loss of life and property.

I'm writing this because I feel we are in all this together and it's up to all of us to do what we can to make our government act. If you can spare some money, please do, if you can't please share this chuffed campaign to help raise some dollars. Rob Blakers has worked tirelessly at great financial cost for four decades to protect our wild places, please help him get this film made.

https://chuffed.org/project/tasmanian-g ... wjwJ9xnEnA

Photo's are of Rob doing his work and a 1500-2000 year old Pencil Pine destroyed in the 2016 fire.

Thanks for considering helping, Dan.

Admins, delete if you feel this is inappropriate. I can't think of a more important issue for bushwalkers. I'll add to this post as the project evolves.
Attachments
RobWorking.jpg
AncientAthrotaxis.jpg
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tasmanian Wilderness Film - Help Needed.

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 3:41 pm

Anyway of sending the money directly?
I don't like the way that the Chuffed website adds large processing fee. While not really cashed up I think that this is important enough to contribute what I can
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CBee » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 4:24 pm

Shocking photos.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby stepbystep » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 4:58 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Anyway of sending the money directly?
I don't like the way that the Chuffed website adds large processing fee. While not really cashed up I think that this is important enough to contribute what I can

Perhaps contact Rob at Wild Island Tasmania directly? I don't think the fees are exorbitant and the rewards are value for the donation. I hope you can find a way to help out.

CBee wrote:Shocking photos.

Tip of the iceberg I'm afraid CBee, and it'll just keep happening if we don't act.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rblakers » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks Moondog, for the enquiry - sorry it's taken me so long to spot it! We are also setting up the capacity for tax-deductible direct donations - please contact me directly at rblakers@ozemail.com.au if that might be of interest.

Btw, with the Chuffed campaign, the contribution to Chuffed itself is optional - you can choose to not do this for your donation.

https://chuffed.org/project/tasmanian-gondwana-film
rblakers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Between Bushwalks