A Bird in the Hand

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

A Bird in the Hand

Postby BarryJ » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 8:03 am

I have recently become the owner of an iPhone and was pointed in the direction of an app called "A Bird in the Hand" put out by Parks & Wildlife. I reckon it's great value for $1.19. The following is a quote from their web site:
Quality photographs, vocalisations and detailed information about 23 of Tasmania’s common and endemic birds are available in a new Apple iPod/iPhone Application.

Birds currently featured in the app include all endemic species, endangered species such as the forty-spotted pardalote and the orange-bellied parrot and common birds such as the Tasmanian native hen, dusky robin, eastern rosella and flame robin.

A Bird in the Hand is available using Apple’s free iTunes software via the iTunes App store. It is only compatible with Apple iPhones and iPod touch devices at this stage.

I have just posted this in case other iPhone users would like to check it out.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: A Bird in the Hand

Postby tastrax » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 1:25 pm

Even more important is the fact that its the project of a Bushwalking Tasmania forum member. Well done Peter (whynotwalk)
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nick S » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 9:26 pm

nice one peter. yeah it looks pretty cool, it was mentioned in the local paper/examiner. id get it if i had an iphone ;)
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby BarryJ » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:39 pm

Here is the original press release:

Innovative interpretation in ‘A Bird in the Hand’

The comical call of the Tasmanian native hen and the evocative cry of the black currawong are some of the bird calls featured in a new Apple iPod/iPhone Application (app) officially launched today by the Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS).
PWS General Manager, Peter Mooney said the PWS has combined with some of Tasmania’s best photographers, sound recordists and computer software developer Geometry Pty Ltd, to produce an app titled ‘A Bird in the Hand’.

“The application features quality photographs and detailed information about 23 of Tasmania’s common and endemic birds,” Mr Mooney said.

“A Bird in the Hand is like a field guide for birds however this field guide gives you the bird’s call, something that new electronic applications have now made possible.

“Its simplicity, combined with the portability of iPods/iPhones will encourage people to connect with Tasmania’s bird life, whether they are in their backyard or on a walk in their favourite park.

“We know that information is an important resource in the conservation of our native species and this unique and innovative method of delivering detailed information is only the start.

“We have plans for similar projects about Tasmania’s unique mammals, frogs and walking tracks.”

Birds currently featured in the app include endangered species such as the forty-spotted pardalote and the orange-bellied parrot and common birds such as the Tasmanian native hen, dusky robin, eastern rosella and flame robin.

In addition to beautiful colour photographs from some of Tasmania’s best wildlife photographers, the app includes a detailed description of the species and information about its habitat and breeding.

The trend towards developing low cost apps for the iPhone/iPod has progressed at a furious pace.

As of 9 September 75,000 applications have been made available world-wide and over 1.8 billion apps have been downloaded in the 18 months since Apple launched the platform.

Mr Mooney said, because the app is available worldwide, the numbers downloading it are larger than we expected.

“Since it was made available last month there have been over 2500 downloads and it’s been a steady 75 per day since then,” Mr Mooney said.

“The biggest percentage of downloads have been from France.

“Over the coming months we plan to introduce updates to include more birds and maps of where the birds occur in Tasmania.”

The app is available using Apple’s free iTunes software via the iTunes App store.

It is only compatible with Apple iPhones and iPod touch devices at this stage.

The app is free to download until the 25th of September and after this it will cost $1.19.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks Phil, Barry & Nick - it's hardly "my" project, but I did help steer it through. And I reckon it does work pretty well. We're looking at an expanded version, as well as other options for iPhone/iPod Touch applications. Frogs of Tas and Mammals of Tas are high on the list. It's possible we could also do one for the 60 Great Short Walks, but I suspect that's a way off.

Please note Nick that you don't need an iPhone - an iPod Touch is what I use (much cheaper, great for music, podcasts, a bit of surfing and not locked into phone costs). And in anticipation of tears from Nokia, Palm, Blackberry & other users, we don't currently have plans to release versions for those: too expensive and markets a bit small as yet. That said, "A Bird in the Hand" is really just an elegant adapted version of what's on the PWS website at http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3049

For those curious to see what it looks like, I've attached a couple of screen shots below. Happy birding!

Peter

ABITH Main screen.jpg
ABITH Main screen.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
[/attachment]
Attachments
Superb Fairy-wren.jpg
Superb Fairy-wren.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 9:45 am

Nice work, great addition to the resource.
Iv'e wondered when that list you link to will be updated. There are very few that expand with info and recordings. I would have thought that (with the info and recordings available through other sources) it wouldnt be a huge or expensive task though it seems to have not changed much the few times iv'e looked at it...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:52 am

Great job! I wish I had time to work on all the iPhone apps on my list of ideas.
That looks like a great tool for the bird watching enthusiasts.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Return to Between Bushwalks