Company owning three outdoor chains underpaid staff.

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Company owning three outdoor chains underpaid staff.

Postby Wollemi » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 2:53 pm

The company that owns Rebel Sport also owns Supercheap Auto. They also own Macpac, Ray's Outdoors, and BCF. I know where I will not be shopping, if I can help it, in future.

If wages/salary is a legal binding thing, how come the top managers are not prosecuted? It is 7/11 all over again... where I do buy fuel and on-road snacks from :(

https://www.smh.com.au/business/workpla ... 50x5q.html

How come the service at Macpac is so different from BCF, if the same people own it? And Supercheap Auto almost sneer at you if you don't own a $65K 4WD ute.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Company owning three outdoor chains underpaid staff.

Postby NickH » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 3:22 pm

I'd counsel against grabbing the pitchforks!

My daughter has a permanent job at one those outlets. She was one of the "set up" staff for a new store. My observation is the company has handled this quite well. They discovered their own error and, in my daughters case, immediately back paid her and revised the employment contract. That was many months ago, before any media attention.

It would seem a mistake was made, and it was addressed. No complaints from the one employee I know of at least! Besides, she gets discounts at Macpac :D
NickH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ribuck » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 6:48 pm

Not directly related to this, but I don't reckon the Camperdown branch of Ray's Outdoors will be there for long. The building was placed on the market for redevelopment, and major damage to the external signage has not been repaired.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jadasa » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 8:17 pm

It's my understanding that Rays stores are about to be rebranded as macpac superstores?
jadasa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 9:07 am

jadasa wrote:It's my understanding that Rays stores are about to be rebranded as macpac superstores?

FREQUENTLY ASKED MACPAC QUESTIONS - FAQS

"In early 2019, we will be transforming all of our Rays stores to Macpac. We’re combining the best bits of each brand to bring you even more choice for all your adventure needs, under one roof. With the changes you can expect to experience the complete Macpac range of clothing and gear, plus we will continue to range the best camping and hiking gear, all of your paddling needs and also travel solutions from world class brands."
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 10:05 am

There was an email a few weeks ago to Rays rewards members that the membership will transfer over to MacPac about now. Rays are no more and probably about time.

As for the underpayment, it all looked to be an error in the organisation. Reality is, with all the regulations out there, not surprised if some would make error. They erred and picked them up on audit and are fixing them, all understandable.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:10 pm

Wollemi wrote:............And Supercheap Auto almost sneer at you if you don't own a $65K 4WD ute.

I have no affiliation with Supercheap or anything else connected...........
Jeez this might just be a branch problem. The young people at the Supercheap store nearest to us are polite and obliging and I only own a 1996 VS Commodore wagon that has close to half a million Km on the clock. I've stopped going to Autobahn and go there for much better service. If I recall correctly it was Supercheap that stood up and publicly let it be known that the company would not tolerate smart *&^%$#@!, rude and abusive "customers" giving their female employees a hard time. Remember you are potentially putting those kids out of a job if you withdraw your business. Sometimes accountants stuff up in the name of penny pinching and trying to impress the boss. If the company fixes the error they won't lose my business.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Between Bushwalks