Animal tracks

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Animal tracks

Postby susanryerson_48 » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 2:53 pm

These tracks were seen outside chicken coop in a freshly muddy yard in Llandilo near Penrith nsw. Can anyone identify them for me?
Attachments
5873FAD7-3E59-4BFE-9DB7-BA9B80740053.jpeg
930907AF-1702-4B9A-B5FE-DCD9578A5F69.jpeg
susanryerson_48
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Animal tracks

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 3:38 pm

Susan possibly a goanna or another type of lizard? Was there a tail mark?

I also have a 'what animal made these tracks question'..

This was taken in Mount Aspiring National Park in New Zealand's South Island. Maybe deer or goat? Seems big though..

animal print.jpg
Deer or maybe goat?

We could have a new game here! :P
Last edited by wildwanderer on Sat 19 Jan, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Fri 18 Jan, 2019 12:48 am

No.1 if its reptile as mentioned you will get drag marks. Funnily the second pic looks like 4 x claws which if reptile origin that number is found on the hind feet of croc not a goanna lol. :D Do they get them that far south? Obviously cant tell precisely by the pic, dragmarks will be the giveaway for a reptile. If they aren't there, left with something with largish feet and claws maybe stopping to scratch about- large wombat? ...we dont get them here so not my area of expertise.

As to no.2 post, I think you are right. Any sign of two dew claws in the sand behind the main prints? These are more likely to print for deer particularly in sand but if none are present then a goat/sheep is more probable.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 18 Jan, 2019 4:55 pm

Tekker76 wrote:No.1 if its reptile as mentioned you will get drag marks. Funnily the second pic looks like 4 x claws which if reptile origin that number is found on the hind feet of croc not a goanna lol. :D Do they get them that far south? Obviously cant tell precisely by the pic, dragmarks will be the giveaway for a reptile. If they aren't there, left with something with largish feet and claws maybe stopping to scratch about- large wombat? ...we dont get them here so not my area of expertise.

No crocs near Penrith unless one escaped from somebody's zoo. :shock: Hopefully Susan will come back and clarify re the drag marks

Tekker76 wrote:As to no.2 post, I think you are right. Any sign of two dew claws in the sand behind the main prints? These are more likely to print for deer particularly in sand but if none are present then a goat/sheep is more probable.

There were three toe? indentations at the front of the hoof (or what I assume is the front). Im going to go with deer or goat.

If you have any tracks you have spotted Tekker76 ( or anyone) feel free to post them. I think this could be a fun game. What animal made this track!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 18 Jan, 2019 8:24 pm

I can identify roo, emu and goanna... canine and seagull too I suppose.

Koala scratches on a tree trunk. Eucalyptus scented pellets below are confirmation!

Snake tracks are interesting, kind of a skip-to-me- lou parallelish impression.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 18 Jan, 2019 8:48 pm

Although I see a fresh set of Dunlop Volley tracks as a warning sign. Just saying :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 12:59 am

wildwanderer wrote:
Tekker76 wrote:As to no.2 post, I think you are right. Any sign of two dew claws in the sand behind the main prints? These are more likely to print for deer particularly in sand but if none are present then a goat/sheep is more probable.

There were three toe? indentations at the front of the hoof (or what I assume is the front). Im going to go with deer or goat.

Wild wanderer do you mean three toes in the main weight bearing prints? Id say these would be a corruption of the track if so, a trotting animal may place rear hoof into the front hoof print changing it. Shouldn't be any 3 odd-toed ungulates making tracks in NZ, unless an escaped tapir from the zoo. Deer, goat etc are all even toed( 2 or 4 indents depending whether the dew claws higher up the foot also contact the ground). Its sometimes hard with just a few spoor in photos, often a larger sample helps to see the pattern and shape..

Sorry I don't have any pics but agree would be good fun. I might take a walk up a creek tomorrow and see if I can get some.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 7:42 am

susanryerson_48 wrote:These tracks were seen outside chicken coop in a freshly muddy yard in Llandilo near Penrith nsw. Can anyone identify them for me?

Penrith Panther?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby peregrinator » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 3:57 pm

Bunyip?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 7:20 pm

Tekker76 wrote:Wild wanderer do you mean three toes in the main weight bearing prints? Id say these would be a corruption of the track if so, a trotting animal may place rear hoof into the front hoof print changing it. Shouldn't be any 3 odd-toed ungulates making tracks in NZ, unless an escaped tapir from the zoo. Deer, goat etc are all even toed( 2 or 4 indents depending whether the dew claws higher up the foot also contact the ground). Its sometimes hard with just a few spoor in photos, often a larger sample helps to see the pattern and shape..

Sorry I don't have any pics but agree would be good fun. I might take a walk up a creek tomorrow and see if I can get some.

I thought it was three, sort of like the below rough diagram. Wish I had got a shot from directly above.

print.jpg
print.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 25590 times

EDIT - found a good discussion on mysterious three toe tracks. Conclusion - a deer or other hoofed animal track first made by the front hoof then the back. Apparently hoofed animals quite commonly step on the front imprint with their rear hoof. Details: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2 ... imal-track
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 8:47 pm

yes its not uncommon. To get good ID sometimes you have to follow until the gait opens up enough to get clear prints, also working out the stride length and straddle( width of shoudlers) helps.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 5:17 pm

Beach near the moresby range
Size 13 thong for scale.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 5:26 pm

Tekker76 wrote:Beach near the moresby range
Size 13 thong for scale.

Cassowary?
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby trekker76 » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 5:57 pm

Bingo mickyb!
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 6:15 pm

main difference from emu tracks(aside from geographical location) is the inside toe print of the cassowary is mostly claw or spur, (also accounting for the damage when people get kicked )
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 12:08 pm

Can anybody identify this footprint?
Sorry, not the clearest pic. Found in a fire impacted area. Appears to be 4 toes. Bird-like. But rather big.
Found in the Ettrema wilderness area. And yes part of it is now open.
Attachments
_PS15210-1.jpg
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 4:44 pm

Roo.
When hopping they keep the feet fairly close together. That produces a large, bird-like print.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Between Bushwalks