Admit it, are you a prepper?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Admit it, are you a prepper?

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 8:50 am

Actually they might close the supermarkets and go to home delivery for basics only if things did get bad. On a better note Cecile and I have actually started eating slightly smaller meals which will be good for both of us in the long run.
The way some perishable prices are skyrocketing the $750- stimulus package might buy us enough fresh vegetables to make a salad
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 8:57 am

@moondog55 I 'spose with a dovecote with 3k birds, you could just breast em out and recycle remainder.
Not a prepper per se, however I acknowledge that ppls life experiences afford them differing levels of a preparedness mindset. I feel the prepper mindset can overlap/align with bushwalkers as we enjoy the challenge of periods of total self sufficiency and distancing from society. Listening to stories from war-ravaged g'parents and seeing their lifestyle here in Oz - I undertake activities that could mean prepper. Pressure can food, bottle tomatoes, shoot deer, make jerky, raise ducks and chooks, dehydrate and veg garden.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Fri 01 May, 2020 2:43 pm

4x 25kg bags of Jasmine rice now in rotation, as we use a bag, a fresh bag will take it place at the back of the line. 4months coverage...so we shouldn't be caught out next time.

Changing with the times...:wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 May, 2020 3:47 pm

Funny thing that, we don't have the space for bulk purchases unless I start to use the shed and we still don't have a chook run so still no chooks
BUT
We still have toilet paper; just. I usually only buy monthly and gradually build up a small reserve of stuff. Got caught out there this time; won't happen again.
it isn't a Black & White thing, I do think there is a gradual sliding scale with me on one end and M-60 machine guns and concrete bunkers at the other but everybody really should keep some reserve stock in the pantry, rice and beans is a great start followed by flour and sugar and condiments/spices/herbs etc.
Potatoes are a great prepper gardening food, you just leave them in the ground until needed.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 01 May, 2020 4:02 pm

ofuros wrote:4x 25kg bags of Jasmine rice now in rotation, as we use a bag, a fresh bag will take it place at the back of the line. 4months coverage...so we shouldn't be caught out next time.

Changing with the times...:wink:

!00 kgs of rice on hand. Sh--t bonza!
This tshirt is on it's way to you now
C/o Offy
Queensland
:lol:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.71 KiB) Viewed 10961 times
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby ofuros » Fri 01 May, 2020 6:03 pm

My wife's Asian...rice for breakfast, lunch & dinner. :) Culturally they're a social bunch so there's always someone dropping by for a chat & a bite to eat. 25kg lasts about a month. They get cranky without rice in their lives. :D

Fairly self sufficient anyway, we've have chickens for eggs & meat, a vegie/ herb patch, fruit trees( wouldn't mind some nut tree's), do a little pickling, canning, bread making when we need too...handy basic skills to have & pass on to the little'uns.

Prepper...not really, just enjoy being self sufficient as much as I can.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks