Lawsuits

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Lawsuits

Postby trekker76 » Mon 17 Sep, 2018 12:57 am

Not a happy subject, but a couple of outdoor business attractions have been under the pump with lawsuits lately. One because some guy apparently broke their leg in an area they had entered without permission. Not too common to see this up here but I assume being its all the rage in the USA its probably occurring in the more populated areas of Australia as well? I find it disappointing if things are going this way. Also when it comes to meeting up with hikers online, maybe even transporting folks in your car or for walks on private land, is it worth the risk?
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Lawsuits

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 17 Sep, 2018 2:27 pm

Litigation rate has certainly gone up dramatically over recent decades. Obviously all levels of society has contributed to it, but this perception of blame is at the core. People are less willing to responsibility for themselves. Great for the legal profession, great for the insurance industry, great for those who can scam the system for multi-million payouts. The rest lose.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby trekker76 » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:21 pm

And I guess there will be a new generation that sees it as the only way to function, having not lived through an era when things functioned without it. Main reason I started the thread as was thinking of offering to drop online friend to trailheads and areas. But wasn't sure if this is seen as a generally bad idea. Someone gets lost and breaks a leg, are you responsible in some way for driving them to the area?
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm

If you take money for it, then there’s potential liability. Fact is, never know what weirdos one will encounter and the hassles they can bring, even if there’s no hope of making a successful case against you. But for the 99% of those who you assist, it’ll be a pleasure for both.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Between Bushwalks