Water Guzzlers

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Water Guzzlers

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:21 pm

wayno wrote:you need up to 500mg of sodium for every litre of water, thats roughly a quarter of a teaspoon of salt... this can prevent hyponatremia on days where you are sweating and drinking a lot, and helps the absorption of the water.

Whilst those numbers give guidance to salt replacement, but there can be significant variations in the individual and to the condition. As such, it's hardly an issue for the first few hours as the body's capacity to adjust accommodates any shortfall or excess. After which, the risk of salt/water imbalance increases dramatically and the only sure way to correct is through blood analyses (as often needed in hospitals). Out on the road or track, it can only be educated guesses.
Last edited by GPSGuided on Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water Guzzlers

Postby wayno » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:15 am

in order to urinate you have to pass minerals out with the urine,
drink too much then you pee out minerals , as well as diluting what minerals you do have in your body, plus with sodium loss in sweat, then you bring on hyponatremia sooner..
another issue is begadosing on B vitamins, they act like diuretics in high doses and leave you with unblanaced levels of minerals, flushing out some minerals more than others
theres no scientific evidence to show any benefit in megadosing on B vitamins for energy. a low dose pill with the recommended daily amount will be plenty 2mg of b1, b2, b6... 5mg of B5, 0.5mg of folic acid, 20mg of b3 is plenty
executive. stress formulas have been put out with massive amounts of B vitamins in them and they do more harm than good and can actually stress your nervous system as they can act like stimulants...
low levels of B vitamins can leave you struggling to cope with stress, so the vitamin companies decided that megadosing was good for people who are under stress, when there has never been a shred of evidence to support .
this
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:52 am

Without mega dosing, there’s no money to make.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 8:26 am

GPSGuided wrote:Without mega dosing, there’s no money to make.

its a marketing gimmick, these pills have more in them than other pills with the mentality that people believe more is better, but in this case, more is a lot worse. B100 tablets or capsules have 100mg of most of the B vitamins, which for some of the B vitamins is a couple of months worth of the vitamin in one pill, almost all of which your body will pass into your urine with a lot of minerals with it..
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:58 am

Re Salt/Electrolyte intake.
I tend to get cramps in my hamstrings at the conclusion of a days walking. Often while sitting at camp or in the car on the way home.

This year I started drinking a cup of mixed staminade/water at the days end and the cramps have gone away.

So anecdotally I found some benefit to consuming electrolytes. Perhaps my body just uses a lot during exercise, I often have salty foods while walking like salami but that wasn’t enough to prevent the cramps. Was only after I started having the post walk cup of staminade that the cramp issue went away.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:18 am

staminade has magnesium in it , i cant find any mention of any other minerals in it... cramp isnt just linked to sodium, can also be potassium related I believe
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 5:29 pm

You are not the first to find Staminade to help, I too had similar experiences in my cycling. Years ago when I first started to ride and train seriously, I would get the intermittent cramp mid-ride or post-ride as for many others in the club. Various recommendations from hydration to stretching pre or post ride to sports drink salt replacement. Discovered Staminade and started to drink it on my rides and the frequency of cramps receded dramatically. Whilst it worked for me, it did not work for all. Many still push the pre/post ride stretch exercises etc. Again, an anecdotal evidence. However, what we do know from physiological and clinical knowledge is that electrolyte imbalance involving Na, K, Ca and Mg can all lead to electrophysiological problems, often involving heart arrhythmias. As such, it's not without basis that the Mg in Staminade can be of critical benefit to some. It's certainly one of the many potential considerations to prevent cramps. For bike rides, I often carry one bottle of Staminade (home mix from powder purchased from supermarket) and one of plain water. Similarly on walks, I often make up 500ml of Staminade on the side but don't use it in bladders or bottles that are hard to wash out.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks