I'm going to need a new car

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

I'm going to need a new car

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 3:11 am

Some low life parasitic scumbags just torched my ute. They were trying to milk my petrol tank
Sprung by my next door neighbour but I guess that they thought lighting a match was a good idea and I'd just filled the tank on Friday.
Next door was on the phone to Triple Zero when she saw the fireball and the fire brigade were here inside 2 minutes but the ute is a write-off
May be able to salvage the wheels and tyres tho
While it is insured the sleeping bags and camping gear in the toolbox won't be covered
So if anybody knows of a good condition Falcon station wagon AU 2 era so all my rims and tyres and wheel chains will fit please let me know
So very,very annoyed and angry
Even with a witness and description I doubt the police will catch them, and they will go on to ruin somebody else lives
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: I'm going to need a new car

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 6:53 am

Moondog, that's dreadful. Comprehensive car insurance may cover contents. My property insurance covers items in the open air at the situation. That is, if the car was parked on the property you may have a valid claim. I suggest that you check your domestic insurance policy working. VOCAT may be able to assist with some costs. See
https://www.victimsofcrime.vic.gov.au/g ... assistance

Being robbed or losing an item through fire is traumatic, so it may assist to get counselling. It will take a while for the effects of the fire to wear off, months if not longer.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:42 am

That's poo... Moondog...........*&%$#! :evil:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:15 am

I'll be OK mentally, just a little angry and annoyed
It will take me while to find replacement woollen blankets and retardant treat them, ditto the rectangular sleeping bag suitable for below freezing conditions
Everything else is just an emotional loss, small but not negligible
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:52 am

Sorry to hear, MD.
Definitely check out your contents insurance. Was the car in your driveway?
Also worth getting some advice re a VOCAT claim. Even if it doesn't go ahead, it shouldn't cost you anything.
In cases where people's homes have been broken into, VOCAT will usually assist with upgrading locks, screen doors etc. You may be able to get some new sensor lights installed or something similar. These claims are usually for where someone has been assaulted/injured, but it's worth a try.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:17 am

We have the ute insured. Finding a blueprinted engine was just a lucky break for my when I got the car S/H but it sure made a difference to performance and fuel economy. Of course these days QC is so much better almost all engines are practically blueprinted right off the line
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm

*&%$#!. Whilst my old Patrol has been broken into a few tines, and stolen recently, it's never been torched. I'd feel similarly aggrieved.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:39 pm

Moondog that is awful! I am so sorry to hear that.
What scuzzbuckets. Just shameful excuses for people.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 9:04 am

It hurts mainly because my Dad gifted me that car and he died this year after a relatively short battle with an aggressive cancer.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 8:38 am

Sorry to hear of the issues Moondog.

Sounds that you leave the car in the street. Why not park it in your driveway or garage if you have one. That would have made it less likely to have it stolen or destroyed.

Similarly, I used to carry and leave stuff in the car. Very convenient but when our car was stolen, all the stuff in the car was tossed out of the window as they drove away. Hardly able to find any of it, some of it was unique, and some of it was valuable. :(

So, my suggestion is to replace the car with whatever you want and can afford, park it off the street, and don't store stuff in the car overnight etc. Only put stuff in the car the same day your trip starts.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 10:20 am

I can't keep the car in our driveway because The Boss has a brand new Kia. The new car takes precedence and there in not room for more than one car.
What was in the car was safe from theft id strong steel tool boxes, just not safe from a hot intense fire, load restraints, wheel chains, tie downs, recovery gear and my second spare sleeping set. All the normal stuff that most country people keep in a car although I had taken the army cot & the spare fuel containers and gas bottles and the fireproof clothing out just that week, getting ready for winter meant the shovel, axe and some other gear wasn't in the car at the time also
My experiences in and around The Alice in the 70s have meant I never go out without a lot of gear, the water in the back was a milk crate filled with 2 litre soft drink bottles and a big 20 litre, perhaps those melting helped to restrict the conflagration a tad
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi Moondog,

On your trips, yes you have to keep your gear in the car. That's normal on a trip.

Leaving gear in the car at home, parked on the side of the road means exactly what happened to your car and the items stored in the car. If you keep the car empty of storage, the worst is the loss of the car. If you leave gear in the car, you might lose the car and the items you leave in it.

It's your choice. Like you, I have been in that situation, and I decided not to store anything in the car at home.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 1:50 pm

I know it is a fine line between being prepared and packing. Theft was always on my mind; hence the strong storage boxes and padlocks. Deliberate vandalism via arson isn't usually a threat
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 10 May, 2018 4:59 pm

So as much as i would like a Ford Station wagon we are transferring ownership of Ceciles old bomb of a Renault Scenic to me and after I get the thing serviced and the brakes done I'll simply run it into the ground or until the tyres wear out. Makes financial sense as it is reasonable fuel efficient and it has the basic airbags for safer crashing. It just can't be used as a tow vehicle like a big Falcon can
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 14 May, 2018 11:14 am

MD you should set up a crowd funding page.

Im sure many people on this forum and in your other social networks would gladly contribute a few bucks to help replace things that are not covered by insurance.

I believe this organisation doesn’t cost anything to setup a donation page and doesn’t take a cut from the donations either! (it operates on an optional, give a few dollars to the site, if a donor appreciates its value as a community service)
https://chuffed.org/us
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 May, 2018 6:53 pm

The tent I lost was an old one and the sleeping gear and stuff was mostly covered by our home & contents insurance but I appreciate the thought. But if anybody has any empty fuel canisters so I can decant the popped cans that were in the tool box that would be nice. I never thought to ask here. I am surprised they didn't blow up, one looks only slightly bumped but the other is well expended and going rusty fast from the firefighting chemicals the boys used to extinguish the fire fast
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm

I got the heat expanded canisters decanted thanx to some mates with empty cans. Still finding missing inventory; gear I must have had in the ute that I had forgotten but only small stuff like the cheap 12V tyre pump. We decided that I should drive Ceciles old Renault Scenic into the ground rather than rush out and buy a new car. On my return trip from Falls Creek last week the timing chain must have snapped [ it was scheduled to be replaced but we were not spending $2200- on a car only worth $250- as scrap] and the engine self destructed and at almost the same instant the Right rear tyre blew reducing the wheel to scrap with square edges.
So we went shopping with the insurance money. Today I took delivery of a 2007 Kia Cerato hatch, it's transport and should see me well for a few months/maybe a year or two.
I do have a small problem tho; the tyres are not rated to take snow chains and I still have to go back up to finish my skiing and prepare my gear for recovery. Any recommendations on an M&S tyre for this tiny little vehicle? Current tyres are cheap 185/65R15 on 6J rims
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 1:49 pm

I'd be less concerned about any deletrious effects of chains on the tyres than I would be about the chains snagging something on the suspension or steering. (I think the Kia is front wheel drive, but not sure)

In other words - if I had chains to fit, and if they cleared everything, I would go ahead and use them and see what happens. Your call.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 2:18 pm

stry wrote:I'd be less concerned about any deletrious effects of chains on the tyres than I would be about the chains snagging something on the suspension or steering. (I think the Kia is front wheel drive, but not sure)

In other words - if I had chains to fit, and if they cleared everything, I would go ahead and use them and see what happens. Your call.

Yep Front Wheel Drive Just enough clearance for the current chains but I would prefer more naturally

Absolutely until I can get real tyres or a bigger vehicle
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks