How do news articles get their photos?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

How do news articles get their photos?

Postby eggs » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 1:06 pm

I have had a few occassions when you see articles with photos incorrectly or misleadingly labelled.

Facebook had a link to the recent avalanche at Perisher, but that led to a previous article about deaths on Bogong.
The article had the attached photo of Bogong.
I initially could not place it - until I realised Bogong was the peak now circled in red.
The photo was taken over the Main Range - over the Sentinel and Alice Rawson ridge.
Bogong.jpg
Bogong.jpg (138.42 KiB) Viewed 14551 times
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Re: How do news articles get their photos?

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 1:23 pm

I assume that they use a commercial photo service.
In this case, the photographer has tagged the photo with a number of things, including Mt Bogong (because it is in the far distance).
The reporter has just searched for tags such as "snow, Mt Bogong", seen this photo and used it.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 3:57 pm

because of digitisatin and the internet, its possible to use a reporter to do far more work far more quickly than before, point , click type up the article, publish, they have a high workload and a short amount of time to put an article up if its a short news article... i've emailed reporters to correct them on wrong information and they dont even bother to correct their mistakes unless there is a public outcry,
often the reporter has little background knowledge on the subject matter they are writing about and are learning as they go.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby tastrax » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 4:57 pm

its not the first time its been 'misused'....

https://snowbrains.com/two-snowboarders ... avalanche/ - back in 2014!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby eggs » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 7:27 pm

Actually - that is where the chain of links led me - that is the article I was referring to.

But the post was to highlight the corny labels that journalists can come up with. I am sure you have all seen other examples.
And yes - I can work out how the internet has made lots of images available and that they are just scanning for trigger words.
I think I have put up shots on this site from that location and noted that Bogong was visible on the horizon.

One of the funniest things I have seen was a standard shot of Cradle Mountain, but it was a mirror image!
I know that is possible with the digitisation of slides - as a query from SoB once highlighted.
But still a bit corny when people are thinking of accuracy.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby taswegian » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 6:23 pm

There was a postcard in the Sheffield post office for ages with a photo of Cradle reversed.
I made comment to the manufacturer but never had a reply.

It's not just photos but locations where events supposedly take place.
Obviously the writer doesn't have a clue about locations otherwise they wouldn't make such stupid stories.

A car accident on (yes ON) Cradle Mt was a recent clanger. Sadly the person died in that incident.
taswegian

Postby wayno » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 6:03 pm

similar problem in NZ news
someone commented anonymously on a website where people were commenting about incorrect photo of a place...
so this comment is also relevant to Aus, where fairfax may be involved in making mistakes

"I'm a contractor to Fairfax so I have to be careful .... The Press is owned and effectively run by Fairfax, an Australian company. It has always been difficult to get paid for the re-use of copy and images. There's a skeleton staff in NZ now. Work eg photo processing is done in Manila because it's cheaper. When print or digital producers (formerly known as sub-editors) are compiling the papers and websites they're working very fast in an imperfect system. Images are uploaded from a library and if they're diligent they credit the photographer. Sometimes the photographer's name is missing so they put "Fairfax" or "Supplied".
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby climberman » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 8:53 pm

eggs wrote:Actually - that is where the chain of links led me - that is the article I was referring to.

But the post was to highlight the corny labels that journalists can come up with. I am sure you have all seen other examples.
And yes - I can work out how the internet has made lots of images available and that they are just scanning for trigger words.
I think I have put up shots on this site from that location and noted that Bogong was visible on the horizon.

One of the funniest things I have seen was a standard shot of Cradle Mountain, but it was a mirror image!
I know that is possible with the digitisation of slides - as a query from SoB once highlighted.
But still a bit corny when people are thinking of accuracy.

The second pic is worse - it's the north face of Carruthers!!

Snowbrains aren't exactly a news service though.
climberman

Postby Franco » Thu 24 Aug, 2017 11:28 am

During the last US elections, many forum members posted the wrong photo because of the way they searched google images.
For example photos of the crowds at the inauguration.
If you Google 2017 US inauguration you will get photos from the previous ones as well because two of the keywords there are " US inauguration"
All other generic searches work like that.
( you can use "2017 US Inauguration" but you could still end up with This is not the "2017 US Inauguration" photo...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby stepbystep » Thu 24 Aug, 2017 12:20 pm

Facebook is the search engine of choice for most news outlets these days, particularly if they are trying to find people.
Recently the Age had to publish an apology for using an incorrect image. I've seen soooo much mislabelling of locations in the TV news world. At the ABC in Hobart I do lots of checking over images with our archives people to get locations right, there's still mistakes for lots of reasons...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks