Lithtum batteries grounded by Australia Post

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Lithtum batteries grounded by Australia Post

Postby Ent » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 3:42 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lithtum batteries grounded by Australia Post

Postby sthughes » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 7:56 pm

Crikey good luck to airlines if they try. That would mean no watches, hearing aids, ipods, mobiles, laptops, etc. etc! :shock:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:20 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Beevor » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Brett,

The changes were introduced to enable Australia Post to meet International safety standards.

Australia Post has reviewed its position in relation to the carriage of lithium batteries in the mail following changes to the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods. The changes mean that:

- All lithium batteries are now Dangerous Goods and cannot be transported in the mail by air.
- Australia Post is not able to accept lithium batteries and equipment containing lithium batteries for mailing overseas or for domestic air transport.
- However, Australia Post can now accept lithium batteries and equipment containing lithium batteries for carriage by road within Australia via our domestic parcels service from all Australia Post customers provided that certain conditions are met.

Not over-the-top at all, but simply a logical and lawful process that any large organisation would take given such re-classifications.
My heels hate me.....
Beevor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 6:02 pm

Interesting. Logical and lawful arent always the same thing...

Whats the reason behind them being added to a dangerous goods list I wonder? Have there been instances of problems with them? Have the airlines demanded these changes or just an Aust Post initiative? Will the airlines enforce this for passengers also? Does this mean that all these batteries will now enter the country on a slow boat from China?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 6:06 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Beevor » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey you're more than entitled to your own opinions Brett, that's what forums are for.

However, the fact remains that Australia Post are complying with standards set by an international aviation body.

It's possibly a 'worse case scenario' for something drastic to occur on a plane regarding lithium batteries in my opinion, but such is the case with a pair of nail clippers? Could you imagine the ramifications if one of these now classified Dangerous Goods were to cause havoc in any manner? I certainly wouldn't want that responsibility falling on my head if it were my business, would you? Especially given new changes are expected to be adhered to.

Hard to police, yes, but bear in mind that when you send something by Air with Australia Post, such as Express Post, ECI, EPI, Air Mail and other products, you are required to sign a declaration of No Dangerous Goods. Lithium batteries are now classed as a Dangerous Good! This, along with recent signage in which you have mentioned, should be more than enough to prompt individuals to think about the contents in which they are sending.

Your arguments, whilst very intelligent in regard to batteries, are overshadowed by the clear fact that this decision was ultimately made by somebody other than Australia Post.

It's unfortunate, or moreover, inconvenient but your concerns would hold more sense if they were directed at the ICAO.

Now, where did I put my iPod....
My heels hate me.....
Beevor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 8:56 am

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryJ » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 9:04 am

BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Beevor » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:14 am

Just remember, before you get all charged up...... :wink: :lol:

You can STILL SEND lithium batteries by road transport, which most of Australia Post's parcels and letters travel by anyhow. Boat, van, truck and train!

This only poses an inconvenience if your lithium batteries and associated devices have a sense of urgency.
My heels hate me.....
Beevor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:55 am

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 9:40 am

well... just had some arrive. Also notice that there are heaps on ebay still. I wonder if AP gave up, came to their senses or if the sender could be in trouble? (though most seem to come from Asia...wonder what happens there?)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:26 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 1:35 am

We flew to Tasmania with Virgin Blue last month, so I had to consider the issue of carrying lithium batteries on aircraft first hand. The following is the current requirement from their web site:

"Consumer Electronic Devices Containing Lithium or Lithium Ion Cells Batteries such as laptops, watches, video recorders and cellular phones are permitted in carry-on or checked-in baggage. (Note: Electronic Devices powered by Fuel Cell Systems are only permitted as carry-on baggage). Spare Lithium batteries or fuel cell systems are permitted in carry-on baggage only as long as they are not damaged and battery terminals are insulated to prevent short circuiting. (NOTE: Spare Lithium batteries with a watt hour rating of 100 wh but not exceeding 160 wh for consumer electronic devices are limited to a maximum of two in carry on baggage only)"

This appears to be derived from IATA Table 2.3.A which states:
"not more than two spare lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries for such consumer electronic devices may be carried in carry-on
baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.
"

Three of us each took a P&S digital camera powered by 2 AA lithium batteries, plus 2 spare lithiums. The cameras went on board as carry-on baggage with batteries loaded. I made sure that we wrapped each spare battery separately in tissue paper then sticky taped around each battery over the terminals. All this gear went through routine baggage checks without incident or comment.

The Australia Post requirements raised in this topic would seem to be inconsistent with current airline passenger requirements, in my opinion. It may be to do with carry-on baggage vs stowed cargo I think.

I also found this IATA Guidance Document: Transport of Lithium Metal and Lithium Ion Batteries, Revised 10 August 2009. I tried to read it but it's doing my head in :?. I think it's saying that lithium batteries in normal consumer devices plus a "reasonable" number of spares (whatever that means) are OK. It does state:

"Certain restrictions apply to the carriage of lithium metal and lithium ion batteries even when carried by passengers as baggage. Once again, only batteries that have successfully passed the Tests outlined in Part III, Sub-Section 38.3 of the UN Manual of tests and criteria may be carried.

As said before batteries manufactured, distributed or sold by major companies do meet this requirement, however, certain replacement batteries which are not OEM or aftermarket batteries but simply low-cost copies of those – also called “fakes” – may not have undergone the required tests. Untested batteries are consequently excluded from air transport.

Users of equipment powered by lithium metal and lithium ion batteries should therefore be vigilant when buying replacement batteries from unknown sources, such as on markets or Internet auction platforms. The differences between genuine and copied battery types may not be visible but could be very dangerous; such untested batteries may have a risk of overheating or causing fires.

Because of the risks associated with the carriage of spare batteries these may not be transported within passenger checked baggage. Spare batteries must be in carry-on baggage."
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ent » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 1:22 pm

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks