Running

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Running

Postby Phil » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 9:25 am

Hi all,

Just out of interest, are there any 'runners' out there? When I say a runner, I mean anyone who enjoys going for a casual jog to keep fit fitness, or maybe in a running club......ie, you don't have to be a pro!

Did anyone enter the Launceston Ten race yesterday?

I'm keen to enter the 'Triple Top Mountain Run' later this year which is a 20km track that covers Mount Claude, Mt Van Dyke and then Mount Roland down to Claude Rd.......are there any other BT members that do this sort of stuff?!

Phil
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Running

Postby Ent » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 9:40 am

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kainas » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 4:01 pm

I like running and cycling. No pro, but I like to train for the odd event (City-to-Surf). All for general fitness, an occasional goal is enough to keep me focused.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 1:27 am

Yeah another runner. Mainly for fitness, I've been running 5km almost daily for about 10 years and had previously done some running as a much younger person (I'm 55). I also enter a handful of fun run type events 10km up to half marathon, such as Sydney City to Surf for the past 7 or 8 years. Sadly I've had to withdraw from entering this year's C2S after a PB of 63:37 last year for the 14km. I'm currently having physio for a sciatic problem and needed to scale back the necessary training program. Anyway we leave for Tassie the day after and I don't want to be so sore that I can't go bushwalking. Haven't done much trail running except a half marathon last year, the 21km included 18km of easy trail running, plenty of hills though not mountainous like the Roland one would be. Next event for me is likely to be a local 10km in November. Like Kainas I need a goal to keep focused. Due to the effects of ongoing knee pounding I'm also considering taking up cycling again as cross training but need to get a bike. Looking at current MTBs; and we think bushwalking gear is expensive :shock:.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Phil » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 8:33 am

Brett wrote:
I use to run pre knee surgery and might be encouraged once again for a run but re the words of the little Austrian surgeon. "Run up hills and on the flat if you insane enough but walk down hills unless you are stupid or enjoy my company (expletives removed)". What is your training six kilometre times on the flat so I can have a goal to aim before committing to insanity?

Cheers Brett

I don't really run a 6km track regularly so I'm not sure. I do run home from work once or twice a week which is about 8km up through the Gorge and then through to Duck Ruch Power station, that takes me just under 40 minutes.......finished the Launceston Ten in 42:19 on sunday (unfortunately I was slower than last year :( )
Phil

Postby MrCAMEL » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 8:42 am

I ran in the Gold Coast Half Marathon a few weekends ago, only the 3rd time I had ran that far.
I was hoping for under 95 minutes. But failed. Failed quite well. :D
I ran through the half way mark on about 57 minutes, and was just cruising, but after the turn I got a huge gut ache from somewhere, and was struggling to move. Keeping on plodding along, people were passing me and they were looking in bad shape, but they were doing better than me. But at the 16km mark, I just thought I had better have a go, and I powered on and did the last 5km in 18-19 minutes and finished well, and felt like I could do it all again.

So a time of 103 minutes was not a good time, despite a good finish.
But that is probably my fault for not doing any road running in the last 4 months, as I have just been sticking to footy grounds for my weekly Orange Maggoting.

I have done the Burnie Ten a handful of times now, and things like this can happen

It is fun and everyone can have a go.
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 8:53 am

that's awesome, MrCamel! :-)

I'm a completely lazy sod, and although my intentions are to go jogging regularly to keep fit, I end up only jogging for the couple of weeks leading up to a bushwalk, and I usually don't jog far (maybe 4 km 5 days a week for 2 weeks). Occasionally I manage to keep it up for a few more weeks, but that's quite rare. If I do manage to keep it up for long enough during Summer, I work up to doing it barefoot to avoid wearing my shoes out. ;-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Ent » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:15 am

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 1:30 pm

MrCAMEL wrote:I ran in the Gold Coast Half Marathon a few weekends ago, only the 3rd time I had ran that far.
...I was hoping for under 95 minutes.

...I have done the Burnie Ten a handful of times now, and things like this can happen
...It is fun and everyone can have a go.

Well done Mr CAMEL :). That's still a great effort and a respectable HM time; just finishing those races requires plenty of commitment and tenacity. Sounds like you hit the wall but came back very strongly.

Love the outfit in the Burnie race. How comfortable was it (or not)? Your'e right, the main thing is to have fun and enjoy it without killing yourself. :)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kainas » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm

MrCAMEL wrote:I ran in the Gold Coast Half Marathon a few weekends ago, only the 3rd time I had ran that far.
I was hoping for under 95 minutes. But failed. Failed quite well. :D

I ran the Gold Coast half a few years back..beautiful and flat. I finished just under the two hour mark, my husband was about 5-minutes ahead of me..

I loved the reaction of my family "why didn't you just run up and catch him?" they asked me... :mrgreen: as if 5 minutes is a tiny gap!
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 9:59 pm

Jog! What's that?

I looked it up in a dictionary. 1) to move or shake with a push or jerk, 2) to cause to function with a jolt for a moment or in a series of disconnected motions, 3) to push slightly, as to arouse the attention. :lol:

...And people do this in public places ? :P

4) to go in a desultory or humdrum fashion. ...maybe this is what you're talking about. Ok! I think I jog. :D
Last edited by walkinTas on Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:42 pm

The only jogging I do is my memory.

And it needs a lot, sometimes . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii