Mac OS X 10.6

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Mac OS X 10.6

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 2:22 pm

Any other Mac users out there?

Today I was given the preview version of Mac OS X 10.6 (due for release in about 3 months). I've installed it and it's working well so far and seems to be a tad quicker which is nice. Includes the new version of Safari wit the 'Top Sites' feature which might be enough to convince me to switch over to Safari (I currently use 'Camino' for web browsing). I expect that BWT will occupy the top left spot in the automatically generated 'Top Sites' view, for me.

The built in Exchange integration looks like it's going to be easier to use on the Mac than on Windows (eg, doesn't require any additional software installed, and very simple to use - integrates with the included Mail, iCal and Address Book apps).

Most of the other changes are under-the-hood changes for developers (which will hopefully produce better applications for users in the long run).

However, it only runs on Intel Macs, so if you've got a very old Mac, then you're out of luck. :-(
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Mac OS X 10.6

Postby tasadam » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 2:35 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I've installed it and it's working well so far and seems to be a tad quicker which is nice.
Sounds great! Will it run on my PC? :?

Son of a Beach wrote:However, it only runs on Intel Macs
Ar, forget that. 8)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 3:04 pm

The new version of Safari (released today) runs on Windows (and you can run the entire Mac OS X on your PC if you're willing to break the license agreement, but probably won't have drivers for many varieties of PC cards/peripherals). :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Damien » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 9:56 am

Did you say exchange integration?
I just spent the whole weekend trying to get iCal and Exchange 2007 to talk to each other...
I guess i'll just have to wait until September
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby Clownfish » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:20 am

Ha, I have a friend in the States who works for Apple's Help Desk. He's written some hilarious posts about Apple.

Unfortunately, most of them are probably a bit libellous to repost on a public forum :twisted:
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:09 am

Perhaps Nik you need to be just a little more vulpine!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/i ... refox.html

:)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clownfish » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:01 pm

Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 2:31 pm

walkinTas wrote:Perhaps Nik you need to be just a little more vulpine!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/i ... refox.html

:)

I currently use 'Camino' which is Mozilla based, but much more Mac friendly than Firefox (which is a great browser, but rather generic across platforms).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 2:38 pm

Damien wrote:Did you say exchange integration?
I just spent the whole weekend trying to get iCal and Exchange 2007 to talk to each other...
I guess i'll just have to wait until September

Exchange does not adhere to the iCalendar and CalDAV specifications (although they'd like you to think they're standards compliant). There's a 3rd party (commercial) utility to integrate with Exchange for current Mac OS X 10.5.

But in 10.6 Snow Leopard, it's built in and very simple to set up. In fact, it's now somewhat easier to integrate a Mac with Exchange than to integrate a Windows system with Exchange. And it works very nicely... I've been trying it out on the developer preview and the Exchange server at work.

You can set it up in either iCal, Address Book, or in Mail. If you do it in Mail, there are checkboxes there to do iCal and/or AddressBook at the same time. You just enter your email address and password, and it will query the server, and determine all the correct settings (NB: Requires Exchange 2007). I went to the WWDC sessions on contacts and calendars today, which covered Exchange integration, amongst other things, and the demo was impressive with fairly seamless integration.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 4:31 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Any other Mac users out there?

Today I was given the preview version of Mac OS X 10.6 <Snip> However, it only runs on Intel Macs, so if you've got a very old Mac, then you're out of luck. :-(

Bummer! Looks like I am stuck with 10.4.11 on my G4 Quicksilver then, as I still use my 20 year old diary program plus all my Hypercard stacks and WriteNow word processor, daily in Classic. I know I should move into the 21st century, but hey these "tools" have done the job for me for decades, and now I have my seniors card, I am entitled to the "grumpy old man" status. :lol:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 4:54 am

tas-man wrote:Bummer! Looks like I am stuck with 10.4.11 on my G4 Quicksilver then, as I still use my 20 year old diary program plus all my Hypercard stacks and WriteNow word processor, daily in Classic. I know I should move into the 21st century, but hey these "tools" have done the job for me for decades, and now I have my seniors card, I am entitled to the "grumpy old man" status. :lol:

You really should take the plunge... It's a bit of a paradigm shift, but well worth it, and I find that people in your situation who've eventually taken the plunge and then try their old systems again later can't believe how clunky their old systems feel now that their finally used to the new ways of doing things.

However, if you really want to stick with the old stuff, you should try Sheep Shaver. It will run PowerPC Mac OS on an Intel Mac (apparently).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 5:17 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
tas-man wrote:Bummer! Looks like I am stuck with 10.4.11 on my G4 Quicksilver then, as I still use my 20 year old diary program plus all my Hypercard stacks and WriteNow word processor, daily in Classic. I know I should move into the 21st century, but hey these "tools" have done the job for me for decades, and now I have my seniors card, I am entitled to the "grumpy old man" status. :lol:

You really should take the plunge... It's a bit of a paradigm shift, but well worth it, and I find that people in your situation who've eventually taken the plunge and then try their old systems again later can't believe how clunky their old systems feel now that their finally used to the new ways of doing things.

However, if you really want to stick with the old stuff, you should try Sheep Shaver. It will run PowerPC Mac OS on an Intel Mac (apparently).

I have loaded Sheepshaver on my MacbookPro for when I am away from home, but the interface for moving files from OSX to Sheepshaver is a bit convoluted using disk images, so gets used only when absolutely necessary. It only supports a max 1024x768 screen which on my 1920 x 1200 display feels very cramped - runs everything fine otherwise,but the processors and fans go ballistic! You are right - I "really should take the plunge... It's a bit of a paradigm shift, but well worth it"
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Between Bushwalks