Clever van build

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Clever van build

Postby LandSailor » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 8:53 am

Not directly related to bushwalking but could make a useful base for 1 day walks (not to mention urban stealth camping).
Dont know if this specific model (Transit Connect) is available in Oz but no doubt easy to find something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR4nBhBdhQY

Transit Camper Van
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Clever van build

Postby neilmny » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 4:15 pm

It's a beauty.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MickyB » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 5:03 pm

Great set up. I've often thought about doing something similar but I think I'd prefer to do it to a van about the size of a Toyota Hiace. A 4WD van would be ideal. A guy I know has converted an ex ambulance (Merc. Sprinter I think) into something similar to what's been done in the video.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby LandSailor » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 8:27 pm

There's tons of van conversion videos on youtube. If you're interested well worth subscribing to a few channels.
Its much more of an established lifestyle in the US. Here in Oz it seems to be mainly backpackers and grey nomads but over there vandwelling seems to be an established culture.
People live in their vans for years by choice. They prefer the freedom and the lowcost lifestyle.

A 4wd van would be the ultimate but for reasons I cant fathom, they've never been sold much in Australia. The main one people use is the Mitsubishi Delica which is a grey import.
These can be had for about $10k (ish) and have genuine off-road ability. They are a great van (based on Pajero running gear) but you need to know where to get parts and not all mechanics like working on them.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby MickyB » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 4:47 pm

I've seen quite a few of these videos. Some of of the conversions are done really well. Others I have thought to myself 'What were they thinking?' I might get around to converting a van one day. At the moment it comes down to the amount it's going to cost to buy a van and convert it versus how much use I'd currently get out of it. I do love the idea of doing it though.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 5:38 pm

What I liked about the one on the video was that it was quite light and minimalist even cleverly thought out.
To have rare earth magnets to hold your window covers in place is a great idea. I doubt they'd shake off and get lost.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks