Another event in our Southern Sky

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Another event in our Southern Sky

Postby Overlandman » Tue 20 Oct, 2015 8:44 pm

From the Mercury

CRANE your heads to the night sky Tasmania, a meteor shower created by the tail of Halley’s comet will be visible tomorrow and Thursday morning.

The annual Orionids meteor shower will light up the sky to the east of the state from 1am-4am on both days. Avid stargazers can look in the direction of the Orion constellation to spot the phenomenon.

The shower is caused by Earth passing through the tail of Halley’s comet, with debris entering the atmosphere through our gravitational pull. The debris then burns up, seen as a shooting star.

Editor of the Australasian Science Magazine David Reneke said the key to seeing a meteor shower was patience. He said up to 40 meteors were expected.

“What is distinctive about this one is that we are passing through the tail of Halley’s comet which last came through in 1986,” he said.

“It leaves a ring of dusty material around the sun and we intersect it every year as we move around the sun, so for a week or so we get a meteor shower.

“This one has been associated with a few fireballs over the past seven days and they explode overhead so you can hear the sound accompanied by a flash of bright light.”
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Another event in our Southern Sky

Postby MickyB » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 5:53 pm

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... ting-stars

AUSTRALIAN SKY-GAZERS can expect to see plenty of shooting stars next month, when Earth passes through the tail of Halley's Comet.

The annual occurrence is known as the Eta Aquarids meteor shower, and this year observers will have prime viewing thanks to the shower coinciding with a New Moon.

The Eta Aquarids will begin around 20 April and continue until about 21 May. Astronomers say the best time to see the shower, or "shooting stars", will be in the middle of the event, on 6 and 7 May, when the New Moon occurs. When this happens, the sky will be at its darkest, as the moon moves between the Earth and Sun and is hidden from view.

The debris of Halley's Comet creates two meteor showers every year. The Eta Aquarids is the first to occur, with the Orionids taking place in October.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 8:04 am

Given the overcast, about the only thing you're going to see looking up is the occasional owl.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby DanShell » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 10:16 am

I was lucky enough to do a special flight to go and look at Halleys Comet in 1986. I think it was with TAA or Ansett! I clearly remember my expectations and the reality of it being two entirely different things ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Between Bushwalks