Victorian man dies in Grand Canyon

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Victorian man dies in Grand Canyon

Postby MickyB » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 8:50 am

A YOUNG Victorian man who was killed by a lightning strike in the Grand Canyon has been remembered as an adventurer who impressed his friends with his thirst for life.
Jono Crowden, 21, died while hiking by himself on the South Kaibab Trail through the popular American tourist attraction.
A witness reported that he had possibly been struck by lightning, Reuters reported. Paramedics rushed to treat him but he died at the scene.
Mr Crowden, from the Ballarat suburb of Alfredton, travelled to Canada and the United States in July after graduating from university.
He excitedly shared photos from his trip on social media, saying in August that he was “having an absolute blast”.
“One month into my trip and I’ve driven 5000 miles and explored twice as many national parks as cities,” Mr Crowden wrote.
He also wrote about fighting off rattle snakes and bears in the Yosemite National Park, describing it as “one of my favourite places in the world”.
Mr Crowden had recently visited Las Vegas before venturing to the Grand Canyon.
Ballarat North United Soccer Club said Mr Crowden was a “gifted player, a talented and mature teammate and a great friend to so many”.
“We were extremely lucky to have him play with us,” Laurelle Sommers posted on the club’s Facebook page.
“He had such big plans and such a bright future. Our thoughts are with his family and mates at this very very sad time.”
Friends also shared emotional tributes to their mate on social media, including James McKenzie, who posted a photo of them as school kids.
“I will strive to attack, explore and enjoy life at a level that only you could achieve,” Mr McKenzie wrote.
Michael Klomp said “the world is undoubtedly a worse place without you here”.
“I’ll always admire the way that you treated those around you,” Mr Klomp wrote.
“Never in my short tenure in life has the label ‘good bloke’ been more appropriate than to describe you.”
“Your legacy of seizing life’s opportunities will burn brighter among those who had the pleasure of knowing you.”
Morgan Sommers said Mr Crowden was “incredibly smart, talented and kind”.
“You will be sorely missed and you were taken too soon,” she wrote.
Mr Crowden was a keen musician who had written online of his travel plans, saying he wanted to explore the world and meet new people.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 7529464691
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to Between Bushwalks