Not Walking, Reading

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Not Walking, Reading

Postby whynotwalk » Sun 22 Feb, 2015 4:16 pm

Book CollageB.jpg
Book CollageB.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 4037 times

I'll bet I'm not the only walker "confined to barracks" for part of the summer. In my case it's been through an injury acquired while bushwalking. While I've been going a bit crazy, books have partially come to the rescue. The collage above hints at some of my reading over the last year or so. But most recently I've been getting into Tom Carment's "7 Walks".

7 Walks_edited-2.jpg

While I've picked up factual errors (always an editor!), I can overlook these for the quality of the overall writing and the production. It's not cheap, but it's a coffee table book any walker would love.

Another huge and expensive book, but one I LOVE, is Shaun Barnett and Chris Maclean's "Tramping: A New Zealand History". Barnett is blessed both as a writer and a photographer: Maclean I know little about. But together they've compiled a beautiful book that makes you proud to be a tramper/bushwalker/hiker. I've gone into more detail about some walking books and other matters in this blog post.

http://www.naturescribe.com/2015/02/dreamwalking.html

Tramping.jpg
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Not Walking, Reading

Postby Zone-5 » Tue 19 May, 2015 3:40 am

Nice, I'm the audio-book king these days listening to authors read there own books to you while walking, working, driving, dozing...
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Return to Between Bushwalks