Travel in Motorhome? Buy Coats in Tas? How Cold in March?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Travel in Motorhome? Buy Coats in Tas? How Cold in March?

Postby joya123 » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 5:44 am

we, (two adults two children 14,11) are travelling tassie in march 16th for 17 days. is it better to take a car (45$/day) and caravan parks of motorhome(150$)? can we access most places with a motorhome? how cold is COLD in march? would it be advisable to buy coats in hobart when we arrive? i have read the 60 best walks of Tasmania and cant wait to walk until we drop. It the weather so cold as some have written on blog sites??? Help needing to get preparations underway.
joya123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Help needing advise......

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 6:32 am

I think you'll be better with a motorhome. There's lots of places where you can just pull off the road for free- decent places. In the Northwest, atleast, a lot of towns provide free or very cheap camping spots, and there's a lot of really choice places right on the beach, such as Narwantapu National Park.IME you'll get better accomodation this way than you will in a caravan park.

Pick up a copy of FRee Capming in Tasmania- that'll help you make up your mind.
the_camera_poser

Re: Help needing advise......

Postby walkinTas » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 4:58 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Pick up a copy of FRee Camping in Tasmania- that'll help you make up your mind.
...and if you want a little bit more information you might like to have a look at this Forestry Tasmania site and even grab a copy of this book which has good info on places where you can pull-over, and the types of facilities they provide.

What do you consider cold? Early in March it is normally still fairly warm (last years mean maximum were 16º-23ºC). It starts to get cooler towards the end of the month as summer finishes and autumn starts, but the autumn colour doesn't come until April and the strong winds usually in May. Head here for some monthly weather summaries. Remember highland and alpine regions are always cooler, and unpredictable because the weather can change rapidly from good to bad.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Travel in Motorhome? Buy Coats in Tas? How Cold in Mar

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 31 Jan, 2009 11:43 pm

The nights get progressively colder as Autumn progresses. However, the days become more stable with crisp clear air. great for landscape photography!
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Re: Travel in Motorhome? Buy Coats in Tas? How Cold in Mar

Postby Talus » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:51 am

It is hard to say whether or not you need a coat for warmth in March. I generally don't need one. I tend to wear warm layers such as a woolen jumper or fleece top with a long sleeve top underneath (thermals are a good option). Things like hats, scarves or even gloves can take you from being a bit on the chilly side to feeling pretty toasty. That said, we may always get a period of unseasonably cold weather or your definition of cold might be different to mine. If so, lots of shops here have coats in stock.

Mind you, if you are planning of doing a lot of sitting around outside at night at pubs in Tasmania then a down jacket is a little miracle worker!

A waterproof coat is always important if you are bush walking in Tasmania.
Talus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Between Bushwalks