Strange request

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Strange request

Postby TassieMargie » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 10:00 am

I recently started a BA in Sociology. One of the courses I am doing at the moment involves some research, so I was wondering... would you guys mind answering a few questions for me? PRETTY PLEASE???

The research involves the television viewing habits of people.

1. How many TV sets are in the house and where are they located?
2. Who watches them, with whom and do they ever watch TV together? If so, which programmes?
3. When is it used? How many hours weekly?
4. Is it watched on holiday? At a friends house? Elsewhere?
5. Is it watched when doing something else?
6. Is the VCR used often to tape shows?

The information you supply is only for my research purposes.

Thanks in advance.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Strange request

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:02 am

Hi Margie,
This is going to be embarrassing.

1) 3 - family room, upstairs in son's lair, daughters bedroom

2) mrs frank and I watch in family room, son upstairs and occasionally when daughter home she watches hers.
Yes, watch TV together, various programs - prob too many to list. Both daughters been living away so normally watch with son prob 10% of his TV viewing. We have Foxtel on "our" TV.

3) TV is used by various members of the family (when home) about 16 hrs a day

4) Usually not watched on holiday because we are in the bush or camping somewhere without power...

5) Yes, any activity you can think of is performed in front of TV (keep it clean...) ironing, knitting, reading, eating,

have known son to be chatting on MSM, playing PS3 and watching a TV program all at once

6) yes, VCR used to time shift (VCR on 2 TV's if necessary.....)
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TassieMargie » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks Frank.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:16 pm

Oh dear- honesty sucks

1- in lounge

2. Who watches them, with whom and do they ever watch TV together? If so, which programmes?

Whole family (Helen, Laura (4) and I). We don't watch TV as a family

Some mornings (ABC Kids- Laura), NCIS (Tuesdays-Helen), House and Life (Wednesdays (House- Helen, Life both of us)). The TV Unit itself is used to watch occassional kid's movies and a fair amount of nature documentaries, usually watched by Laura alone. I watch an hour of TV a week, max. Helen watches about 3 hours. Laura probably watches 2-3, but she'll watch up to 6 hours of documentaries/children's movies a week too.

No

Almost always, for all three of us.

Never

Wow, that wasn't that bad.
the_camera_poser

Postby Robbo » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:34 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:1. How many TV sets are in the house and where are they located?

1/. 1 - and an EyeTV attachment on our 24" iMac which is sometimes used when the kids are using their Wii... - so I guess that's 2
2/. Who - all, but me mostly...
News, nature documentaries, movies, comedy such as Thank God You're Here, and CSI type shows...
3/. Most evenings, no mornings. About 6 to 8 hours per day
4/. When the cricket or NRL or AFL is on - wherever if they are on...
5/. Yes - such now as I'm watching Australia embarrass themselves - and us - v South Africa...
6/. Rarely - 4 or 5 times a year...

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby TassieMargie » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, most interesting reading :D
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Kainas » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 12:39 pm

TassieMargie wrote:1. How many TV sets are in the house and where are they located?

Thanks in advance.

1. 3 sets. Two are in boxes and never used. One big one in the lounge room

2. 30m & 30f wathc together. Lots of sci fi tv. Rarely watch TV - usually always watched movies or box set tv series

3. 8-10 hours. At night, or on the weekend.

4. On holidays we will watch an entire box set collection...

5. No.

6. Always use the HDD to record shows. rarely watch them straight with ads.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 6:28 pm

1. 1 in lounge and 1 in dining room - both connected to aerial, 1 in son's caravan (being done up as "bachelor pad"), not connected to aerial, and 1 kicking about the lounge room as it hasn't got put away yet.
2. Complicated. We all (2 boys 11 and 15, 2 adults) watch the lounge room one, and sometimes the dining room one, 15 year old uses the caravan one for games and DVD's occasionally, by himself and with friends. We watch Top Gear, Doctor Who (when it's on), Spicks and Specks, Myth Busters, BBC Wildlife programs etc when they are on, all together, 11 yo watches Scorpion Island and other kid's programs by himself, with his brother or with a friend, I and 15 yo watch The Seven Periods of Mr Gormsby together, soccer is frequently watched by between one and three of us, um.... Quantum by 1 to 3 of us, The New Inventors between 1 and 4 of us. Top Gear and Spicks and Specks are our most regular, along with often whatever's on ABC on Sunday evenings (and Dr Who religiously when it's on).
3. Used after school a bit, after 8pm a bit. Hours weekly? Huge variation from week to week, but maybe 10 - 12 average?
4. On holiday? Not the holidays we've just had - no TV where we stayed inside, then we were in the bush! We'll watch it if we have it where we are and there is something really good on. Not usually at friends houses.
5. Very rarely.
6. No, but the DVD recorder is sometimes used, then we have to get to watch the show which often doesn't happen! Eg, have taped several episodes of The Long Way Down as it's been on at the same time as Wallace and Grommit, but not watched them yet.
Hope this helps if you can decipher it, your questions are perhaps a bit vague to get clear cut results?
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby red tag » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 9:48 pm

TassieMargie wrote:

1. Five ..located in various rooms ..I buy them at op shops for 5 - 10 bucks , they are old 1980's models that still work ..one is a B&W battery portable .. if one blows up .. for 10 bucks ..who cares. I've got a 30 dollar digital set top decoder , so can watch ABC 2 and the new digital channels from this Friday .

2. only me watches them ... not all at once ! TV is 90% rubbish . I like watching the docos ..history, geography and nature and so on.. Avoid the rubbish , those mindless US comedies and dramas are trash. Love the old movies , modern movie stars make me sick . The only show that makes me laugh is Father Ted .

3. All hours of day and night

4. every day is a holiday . rarely go visiting anyone .

5. Yes , sewing canvas mostly . ( I should say listen, not watch ) I sometimes listen to TV on my tiny radio scanner .. it recieves from 100 Khz to 1.3 Ghz ( thats the whole radio spectrum ) , it recieves all modes, its so small it fits into a shirt pocket (YAESU VR500) I listen to to the local cops , fire brigades , very handy in bush fire season .

6. VCR 's are ancient technology ..surprised you ask that question as DVD's have taken over . I have two VCR's .. but don't record anything .. I buy tapes from the op shops .. usually 1 or 2 bucks .. I recently got 'The Onedin line' .. parts 1 & 2 a beaut old 1970's BBC drama on sailing ships .

Mike
red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TassieMargie » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone for answering the questions.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby scockburn » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 4:49 pm

1. How many TV sets are in the house and where are they located? 3 - One in Lounge room and one in each of the grown up kids rooms .
2. Who watches them, with whom and do they ever watch TV together? If so, which programmes?- We all watch the TV in the lounge room( usually a movie of something similar) and if one of the others wants to watch something else , then they will go into one of the other rooms.
3. When is it used? How many hours weekly? The main TV will be used approx 3 Hrs a day and will be on from about 6pm - 9.00. The others vary but they will each get approx 1-2 hrs a day. They usually go on later in the night say 9.30 on wards.
4. Is it watched on holiday? At a friends house? Elsewhere? - No not often . May be on holidays if there is power . Most of our hols are on the road enroute to camping fishing etc. and where there is no electricity.
5. Is it watched when doing something else? No .
6. Is the VCR used often to tape shows? Not now . We use to when the children were younger but now days not very often . I am not even sure the VCR is plugged in to tape.

Hope this helps . Happy to answer further questions. Good luck in your studies and research.
Steve C
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TassieMargie » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 5:04 pm

Thank you Steve, much appreciated :)
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tas-man » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 9:49 am

TassieMargie wrote:1. How many TV sets are in the house and where are they located?

None, but TV shows on DVD plus YouTube video are watched by our 16 year old son on computer .
TassieMargie wrote:2. Who watches them, with whom and do they ever watch TV together? If so, which programmes?

Our 16 years old son watches things like Scrubs, Stargate Atlantis series etc he gets from his friends, always alone.
TassieMargie wrote:3. When is it used? How many hours weekly?

We try to limit our son to 4 hours/day on computer watching movies and videos.
TassieMargie wrote:4. Is it watched on holiday? At a friends house? Elsewhere?

Our son on school holidays would spend all his waking hours playing on line games, watching movies & video if he could get away with it!
TassieMargie wrote:5. Is it watched when doing something else?

No.
TassieMargie wrote:6. Is the VCR used often to tape shows?

No.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby TassieMargie » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks Ian. much appreciated. Your son sounds like a typical kid :) Do you mind if I ask what you do for entertainment?
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tas-man » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 11:55 am

TassieMargie wrote:Thanks Ian. much appreciated. Your son sounds like a typical kid :) Do you mind if I ask what you do for entertainment?

I don't seem to actually have much time for "entertainment" as a deliberate choice of activity, I am involved with so many other things that I am never looking for things to fill in the "spare" time. Apart from my home based Building Design business, my current role as producer of the Launceston Walking Club's "Do you Know Tasmania" shows always has something happening just following up the contributors in their preparations for individual sections, following up venue bookings and promotional opportunities, script editing, program planning, committee meetings, publicity and advertising, etc. My interest in photography and computer graphics and audio/video production has me with a long list of "fill in" projects to do producing multimedia DVD's of friends slides and video's, together with designing all sorts of stuff, graphics, posters, DVD & CD covers etc. I am also in the throes of organising my annual Targa Tasmania stage for the next event in April which takes a fair bit of time. Then there's my bushwalking which is the one activity that takes up whatever time I can plan for an allocate to it. Occasionally go to movies with 16 year old son when of likely common interest. Also with a 2 acre block ,there's regular maintenance to do there, and there's my 1961 Mini restoration project waiting for some "spare time" :roll:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrCAMEL » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 1:43 pm

I can play too.

1. One. In the only room of my small unithouse that is not the bedroom.

2. I watch alone. Sometimes my Penguin, Kangaroo and Camels watch with me. Watched is Top Gear, Footy and Cricket, interesting doco things, the World News and anything I think will be funny.

3. Watched at night. Average about 5hrs a week.

4. About the same as above.

5. Watched while preparing and eating foods and using the compy.

6. Not ever.

tas-man wrote:there's my 1961 Mini restoration project waiting for some "spare time" :roll:

You should get on with it and come cruising with the club :P 8) The more minis the better :)
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Between Bushwalks