It's a living......

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

It's a living......

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 8:32 pm

Ahhh the joys of being a teacher. Last day of work today, no more until February 8, 2009.

No money, lots of time. Now which hike do I do first? :D

(this is a rhetorical question, designed to taunt the truly employed, and to make me feel better about being broke)
the_camera_poser

Re: It's a living......

Postby tasadam » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 8:43 pm

Frenchmans. Mud. You're a teacher, you deserve it. We all remember school.... :twisted:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 8:46 pm

LOL- so it was like that for you, was it?

Yeah, I have a few past teachers I'd like to intorduce to the leech.....
the_camera_poser

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:58 pm

You obviously don't have children...
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:28 am

I feel suitably taunted.

As retribution, I'm moving this topic to the 'Between Walks' forum (actually the real reason is that there's not a lot of controversy, and it has only a thin connection to bushwalking). :-)

I don't have much time off this Summer. Just the Christmas week and a week at the end of January. I'm hoping to do some sailboarding, but I just destroyed my only good sail last Sunday. So now do I spend my money on new bushwalking equipment, or new sailboarding equipment? Decisions, decisions!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Whos_asking99 » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:19 am

tasadam wrote:Frenchmans. Mud. You're a teacher, you deserve it. We all remember school.... :twisted:

As a student...I agree with Tasadam :lol:
Last edited by Whos_asking99 on Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me if you would like my MSN.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:57 am

Son of a Beach wrote:So now do I spend my money on new bushwalking equipment, or new sailboarding equipment? Decisions, decisions!

Buy your wife a great Xmas present :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 4:15 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:As retribution, I'm moving this topic to the 'Between Walks' forum (actually the real reason is that there's not a lot of controversy, and it has only a thin connection to bushwalking). :-)

Oh I see- the heavy hand of authority. :lol:

I have a 4yo, but she's going to be home-schooled. I'd hate for anyone (else) as sadistic as me to teach her...LOL Also, she's obsessed with carrying my tripod- you ought to see the dirty looks I get when we pass groups of hikers, me with the camera, and her lugging my enormous chinese tripod around. She's good for holding reflectors too. Children should be made to work at a young age! :twisted:
the_camera_poser

Postby MJD » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 6:10 pm

Given the tone of the opening message it seemed that Frenchman's mud was more than deserved along with endless rain after the first half day. (There needs to be a few hours of reasonable weather just to make sure that you set off.) But then hearing that you had found a use for small children perhaps I'm being too harsh :wink:
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:06 pm

Do you guys feel anymore sympathy for me, a bit more love, when I tell you I'm a MATHS teacher?

LMAO LMAO!
the_camera_poser

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:30 pm

You're enjoying this way to much... you're a sick sick man!!! (and I even liked maths at school)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:03 pm

Sympathy - no. But perhaps your knowledge of differentiation and derivatives will be useful as you slowly sink into the Frenchman's mud. Not so sure about integrals; can't quite see the link with how much of you is under the surface of the mud :?
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:41 pm

Good on you and enjoy it while you can is all I can say...

Oh.. And bring back the birch!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 20 Dec, 2008 1:02 pm

LOL- actually, being a maths teacher is just about as miserable as being a student at itmes. YOU try explaining logarithms to a bunch of hormonal, randy 15 year-olds.

Nothing personal, Who's Asking! LOL LOL

:lol:
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Sat 20 Dec, 2008 6:13 pm

I can go one better I retire dec 24th and can BW any time now subject to monetary resources :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby flyfisher » Sat 20 Dec, 2008 7:00 pm

I can go one better I retire dec 24th and can BW any time now subject to monetary resources
:shock:

Corvus Corvus, please stop teasing us you big meany. :lol:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Whos_asking99 » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 6:40 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:LOL- actually, being a maths teacher is just about as miserable as being a student at itmes. YOU try explaining logarithms to a bunch of hormonal, randy 15 year-olds.

Nothing personal, Who's Asking! LOL LOL

:lol:

Haha its cool......im 16, so that doesnt include me :lol:

Mind you....try learning a bunch of stuff you wont ever use in real life, while listening to people talk about what they smoked, what they drank, at what party...I can keep going, but I like this forum to much to get my account canceled :D

In short...thankgod for holidays :D
PM me if you would like my MSN.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby red tag » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:02 am

tasadam wrote:. We all remember school.... :twisted:

Yes, the humiliation.. endless patronizing .. trauma ... mental agony ... things in black robes hovering and yelling at you ( nuns ) ..Never a word or encouragement or praise, instead , constant put-downs . One of the *&^%$#@! even harrassed me on the phone .. she would ring my house and abuse me ... I was only 7 year old . Being told "only Catholics go to heaven" ... endless hours memorising a green book.. 'my catholic catechism'. Learning to write with a messy ink well and blotting paper ... this in the 1960's ! Buying nibs from the newsagents .. then onto fountain pens ..more mess . School would not allow biros .

I was dragged in front of the 2 senior classes and publicly humiliated " your a coward " the head nun ( Mother Louis ) smugly announced . A elderly , senile, half blind nun I had for grade 6 , she would tell us often " your behaviour is abominable " . Boys flicked rolled up wet paper at her , when she turned her back... with rulers .. little white spots stuck on her back !

The parish priest was conducting exorcisms in the old abandoned hospice next door ... http://www.toowoombapressreleases.com/?id=123116

I know this priest ..this was my school ...and I was there at the time .
Mike
red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:38 am

Ahhh...the wonders of catheoic education. I made 6 months in a Catheolic school...
the_camera_poser

Postby Chris » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:15 pm

red tag wrote:Yes, the humiliation..... ..
The parish priest was conducting exorcisms in the old abandoned hospice next door ... http://www.toowoombapressreleases.com/?id=123116
I know this priest ..this was my school ...and I was there at the time ......
Mike

Good grief! :shock: No wonder you like to get out into the bush!
Thank heavens I went to state schools.

I used to think Toowoomba and Esperance were the only 2 places I'd like to live if I didn't live in Tassie. Went off Esperance a bit when they had birds dropping out of the sky due to lead poisoning, and if the thought of drinking recycled water hadn't worried me a bit, I'd sure be put off Toowoomba now.
Looks like I'm stuck here. :D
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby red tag » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:57 pm

Post removed by 'red tag'.
Last edited by red tag on Tue 23 Dec, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 7:33 pm

G'day red tag,
This is a BW discussion site not an outlet for attacks on religion of any sort so get over what ever you experienced in the past and concentrate on the important things in life like Boots versus Runners getting your pack under 6kg for a 10 day hike and knocking the size of the Hut at Windy Ridge :wink:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby flyfisher » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 8:56 pm

Well said Corvus, twas getting a little vitriolic and off thread.I went through the same school system and my children after me. :shock:
Still I think some teachers would be well served by a bit of mud and a few leaches :lol:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:01 pm

Actually, I'd gladly trade leeches and mud for someone to take those really really disengaged kids......lol
the_camera_poser

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 23 Dec, 2008 7:09 am

I think Corvus is mostly just joshing, but he does have a point. Criticising 'any formal religion' based on experience with one element of it is probably not very objective, but in these forums in particular it's just not appropriate (see rule number 1).

It's also good to remember not to throw out the baby with the bath water. Just because something is bad, doesn't necessarily mean that anything associated with it is bad.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 9:42 pm

flyfisher wrote:Still I think some teachers would be well served by a bit of mud and a few leaches :lol:

FF

As a teacher, albeit a fairly new one, I think there are a lot of kids who would also be well served by a bit of mud and a few leeches!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:31 pm

As a person with no axe to grind or master to kneel to I think that there are a lot of parents today who need a good kick up the A ,children are only the product of their upbringing and I guess that parenting skills are hard to achieve if you dont have the grounding and are not much more than a child to start with .
I shudder to think what a sixteen year old child of a sixteen year old child will be like down the track,unless there is a massive turn around we are bent on a major break down between the have and the have nots IMHO.
And good luck to our teachers.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 6:59 am

Devon Annie wrote:[As a teacher, albeit a fairly new one, I think there are a lot of kids who would also be well served by a bit of mud and a few leeches!
You didn't take long to learn that, then :wink:

Chris wrote:Went off Esperance a bit when they had birds dropping out of the sky due to lead poisoning, and if the thought of drinking recycled water hadn't worried me a bit, I'd sure be put off Toowoomba now.
Looks like I'm stuck here. :D
Stuck? STUCK????
Oh, I see, talking about Frenchmans mud again... :P

Son of a Beach wrote:Just because something is bad, doesn't necessarily mean that anything associated with it is bad.
C'mon, Nik, we're talking about a Maths teacher here... :lol:

the_camera_poser wrote:Do you guys feel anymore sympathy for me, a bit more love, when I tell you I'm a MATHS teacher?
That does explain everything, doesn't it... :roll:

red tag wrote:Yes, the humiliation.. endless patronizing .. trauma ... mental agony ... things in black robes hovering and yelling at you ( nuns ) ..Never a word or encouragement or praise, instead , constant put-downs . One of the *&^%$#@! even harrassed me on the phone .. she would ring my house and abuse me ... I was only 7 year old . Being told "only Catholics go to heaven" ... endless hours memorising a green book.. 'my catholic catechism'. Learning to write with a messy ink well and blotting paper ... this in the 1960's ! Buying nibs from the newsagents .. then onto fountain pens ..more mess . School would not allow biros .

I was dragged in front of the 2 senior classes and publicly humiliated " your a coward " the head nun ( Mother Louis ) smugly announced . A elderly , senile, half blind nun I had for grade 6 , she would tell us often " your behaviour is abominable " . Boys flicked rolled up wet paper at her , when she turned her back... with rulers .. little white spots stuck on her back !

I know this priest ..this was my school ...and I was there at the time .
Mike

Holy smokes!
That all just sucks, doesn't it. I bet you turned out quite normal, though that sort of trauma at a young age can have life long negativity. And yes, the spit balls. I remember them. Never participated, but one time the whole class was put on detention because the teacher left us alone for a while and when she returned, the roof was covered with many many lumps of chewed paper that the d/heads of the class "attached" there in a similar manner. School. May it remain a distant, fading and infrequent memory.

In Queensland you could start primary school if you were 5 years old, and the cut off for starting grade 1 was end of February. My birthday is late February so apparently, so I'm told, I wanted to start school on my 5th birthday. All through school I was a year or so younger than everyone else in my class. I was a skinny runt too - still only 60 kg's. So I was a pretty easy target, more from other kids than teacher abuse. But there were a couple of teachers I would like to go back to and apply a ruler to the back of their legs or something - the things they did... Oh you've got me thinking about it again... Where are my pills... Got to stop this shaking... Flashback overload... :?
Seriously, I was over it long ago, but you do sometines think it would be nice to know they got what they deserved for what would be seen now as completely intolerable behaviour by a teacher.

Ny neighbour is a recently retired teacher. Lately before retiring, it was not uncommon for kids to call him names like a f***** old c***
And his response was HEY.... (shouting in an angry voice)... CUT OUT THE "OLD"!!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 8:59 am

Yes, well, one does have to develop a thick skin. Funny thuogh, if you bar up, drag their little butts down to the authorities, and even call Mummy and tell her their little angel called you a c***, they back off quickly. Some of them.
the_camera_poser

Postby Kainas » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 12:38 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Ahhh the joys of being a teacher. Last day of work today, no more until February 8, 2009.

No money, lots of time. Now which hike do I do first? :D

Me too!! For myself I chose a nice trip over the ditch and 14 days hiking Fiordland...wow! Now back in Australian heat.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Next

Return to Between Bushwalks