Snow - Lake St Clair - Sunday 16th Nov?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Snow - Lake St Clair - Sunday 16th Nov?

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:29 am

Ok,
My daughter just finished the Franklin River and had a great trip. Rained each day but, what the hell, that's life.

Quick conversation with her last night as she was buying a jug of beer in a pub in Launceston (she had to go, it was getting warm!) and she mentioned it was snowing at Lake St Clair yesterday. They stopped on the way back to Launceston and had a snow ball fight.

Yesterday in Geelong it was about 20 degrees and fine.

I ALMOST reckon she was pulling my leg....... Was anyone else up that way and see snow or hear about it? I just want some independant verification......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Snow - Lake St Clair - Sunday 16th Nov?

Postby Robbo » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:43 am

frank_in_oz wrote:I ALMOST reckon she was pulling my leg....... Was anyone else up that way and see snow or hear about it? I just want some independant verification......

I think this link may add credence to her claim...

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDT60801 ... 5959.shtml

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:51 am

It was around 2°C at my place yesterday morning (sea level), with frost in some areas. So it would have been very cold up on the plateau.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby woka » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 1:19 pm

Yep, passed through on the way back to Hobart late yesterday afternoon and there was plenty of snow along the roadside! We were down near the Wild Rivers NP over the weekend and it was pretty cold and wet down there as well.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks everyone, verified I reckon.

Just spoke to her and she re confirmed it as well (now she is not distracted by beer)

Her, and a few mates, are now off to Freycinet for a couple of days. Nice to be a student again!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 2:00 pm

Snow fell at Miena in the Central Highlands (bottom end of the Great Lake for those of you who don't know it) at around 6:30-7:00AM on Saturday 15 Nov but didn't settle. During the day, there were the occasional small snow falls but once again, not enough to settle.

At around 8:00PM Saturday night, it began to fall at a fast rate. Within about 30 minutes the ground was covered to a depth of 8-10cm. This was still there at 6:00AM on the Sunday morning but began to melt as the morning wore on. There was another short flurry of snow flakes at around 10:30AM on Sunday.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 2:12 pm

BarryJ wrote:Snow fell at Miena in the Central Highlands (bottom end of the Great Lake for those of you who don't know it)

Thanks Barry, I fished the Great Lake many years ago (and stayed at the Miena Pub for a couple of nights)
Never forget it:
- drank too much at the pub first night - great spot then - HUGE open fire
- got up about 5:30 (crook)
- waded out and tried spinning for about 3 hrs - FROZE TO NEAR DEATH
- slept rest of day
- fished into dark, not one hit
- hit the pub hard again (publican went to bed, we locked up....)
- up at 5 again,(crook) fished and finally caught a reasonable trout (REALLY FROZE )
- fell over into water on way out and REALLY hurt my wrist on a just submerged rock
- got really wet and even COLDER
- packed up, drove back to Hobart, flew home with fish
- had arm in plaster for a few weeks
- fish went dry in freezer and chucked it out 6 months later

HAD A BALL! :D :D
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 2:14 pm

Sounds like some of my fishing trips!
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 7:17 am

A bit late, but on Sunday 16th Nov my wife and I were starting the South Coast track at Cockle Creek. During the walk we met people that got a lot of snow going over the Ironbounds that Saturday.
On the Sunday as we were preparing - fitting our gaiters etc, it was hailing and snowing at the same time (my brother-in-law had much mirth in winding down the window as he drove off and yelling at us - WAAANNNKERS!!), but the weather cleared and by the time we were at the beach the sun was out, though still cool southerly.
We had been watching the weather and thought about delaying for a day, but in the end I am very glad we went when we did, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Well, maybe that stick that went under my fingernail when I went down like a sack of potatoes in the mud - I could change that...
Yep, that's it. Everything else was great!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 01 Jan, 2009 12:35 pm

We had Christmas at Lake Ina (central highlands) two years ago and decided to make a strategic withdrawal on Christmas day as the snow was getting steadily deeper. It was pretty though, the scoparia was all in flower too. And if there's not snow somewhere in Tassie at the moment I would be surprised.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Between Bushwalks