Desktop version
For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.
Topic locked

At Last! A President who uses logic!

Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:31 pm

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=odsDYodanxQ

The Future is Shining.

Re: At Last! A President who uses logic!

Sat 08 Nov, 2008 8:58 am

Political debate is not appropriate for these forums, so I'll simply say that...

Although he says some good stuff there, his understanding (as displayed in that video) of Christianity and the Bible is woeful, and his misrepresentation of Christianity is absolutely appalling. I'm not going into detail here, as this is not the forum for it, but anyone who knows much about Christianity could see that pretty much everything he has said (or implied) there about Christianity is blatantly wrong. In fact the Bible itself directly deals with some of the issues he raises (eg, "who's Christianity would we teach?").

Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:29 am

I think when you consider it in the context of his audience (US peoples), what he's saying makes a lot of sense.

There are still plenty of people in the US who believe in things like white supremacy, the right to bear arms (and use them in a violent manner) and that followers of Islam, Buddhism etc are evil. It's particularly prevelent in some of the southern states, and they use the Bible to justify it (of course they're particularly ignorant of the New Covenant!)

I can see where you're coming from Nik, but I can also see what he's trying to say.

Sat 08 Nov, 2008 1:23 pm

I do not purport to know Obama's view in respect of Christianity or anything else for that matter, other than what I have seen on TV news and current affairs reports. And this is a notoriously distorted view at best!

My only comment re this clip is, look to the source. It is very easy edit to get a point of view across - that may or may not represent the person's understanding or position in question.

Who posted the clip? For what purpose?

Time will give us a better picture than a heavily edited video clip posted by some 'dodgy' group claiming to represent reality for the rest of us... :|

Tony Robinson

Sat 08 Nov, 2008 3:16 pm

It is certainly an eventful time in politics over there (which, for better or worse, tends to affect us over here also). And the comments here thus far are all valid.

However, the forum rules here state:
Political content unrelated to bushwalking is not permitted, either for or against any particular issue, party, person or organisation.

Therefore, I'm obliged to lock this topic.
Topic locked